Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't know why Mexicans choose to live in Chicago, or New York. They are Sun Belt people. I can see LA, PHX, or HOU, but the upper tier of America? I can also tell you that the Mexicans in SEA and PDX learned very quickly to walk on eggshells, seeing the social climate in those areas is more like that of a morgue, so they read the cues correctly.
No stranger than blacks living in the northern US. Blacks in the Northern US and Europe often suffer from Vitamin D deficiency. Likewise, your pale-skinned Irish redhead in Arizona isn't gonna have too much fun. Sometimes people live in climates that are not ideal to their skin type. They've adapted to a certain climate and now live in one that's not right for them. Us olive/medium skinned types are lucky in that we can adapt to most climates reasonably well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axixic2 View Post
With your attitude I guess we know why you have creepy friends.

I never said I am here for altruistic reasons. I am here because it is more affordable than the U.S., or it was. Just like I would move to an area in the U.S. that is more affordable. I think that is why people look at prices, so they can know what they can afford.

Being in Texas all my life I enjoy not having 100 degree days.

When most of us leave it will cost Mexico millions in tax revenue, thousands of jobs and all the jobs those Mexican jobs depend on for money. It is hurting Mexico much more than the foreigners.

It's too bad you have so much hate and anger in you so that you think everyone only has a greedy motive.
I guess you've just confirmed the rationale I put forth in my first post.

You now admit you're down there because it is "cheap". That was the very admission my friends made that resulted in you calling them and myself creepy so I guess we just add that descriptor to your lexicon. Eh?

Hate and anger aren't required to point out to you the fallacy of your thinking Mexcio owes you any kind of fair treatment when the sole reason you admit to being there is because you're taking advantage of their cheaper living.

Strange how someone pointing out what you yourself admit to, is doing so with hate and anger.

I believe you just have an aversion to being confronted with factual simplification of your obfuscation.

Now it's time to ante up and you're whining. Like I said before; you'll find another bottom tier country to exploit. You just hang in there sunshine.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess you've just confirmed the rationale I put forth in my first post.

You now admit you're down there because it is "cheap". That was the very admission my friends made that resulted in you calling them and myself creepy so I guess we just add that descriptor to your lexicon. Eh?

Hate and anger aren't required to point out to you the fallacy of your thinking Mexcio owes you any kind of fair treatment when the sole reason you admit to being there is because you're taking advantage of their cheaper living.

Strange how someone pointing out what you yourself admit to, is doing so with hate and anger.

I believe you just have an aversion to being confronted with factual simplification of your obfuscation.

Now it's time to ante up and you're whining. Like I said before; you'll find another bottom tier country to exploit. You just hang in there sunshine.
I don't live cheaply and that is your claim. I do not have cheap employees because I do not have any employees.

I live in Mexico because it is less stressful than the U.S. and I like the climate where I am. I can grow plants all year and I don't need A/C or heat.

If I was back in the U.S. I would chose to live where I can afford it just like everyone else does. That is not living cheaply or taking advantage of anyone.

Laws must have justification, a legitimate state interest, and the new INM rules do not have a justification. That is the way it is with law and why the new rules will probably be changed which was the point of my complaint about the new rules. Mexico passed rules asking for more assets and/or monthly income than the U.S. ask a foreigner to prove to live full time in the U.S.

A "permante" is over $3000 a month for a couple or over $95,000 in the bank. It doesn't cost that much to live in Mexico and that is not cheap.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,341,727 times
The income requirement for a couple for a permante residente is $4,834.68 dollars a month. This is not cheap and many retired people in the U.S. could live very comfortably on that amount.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
FWIW: When we returned to Los Angeles after living in Europe for several years, we bought onto a street of single family one-story homes that was a veritable melting pot, which ethnically "one of each" +/-. LOL.

At any rate, someone rang the doorbell and it was the lady across the street, with a casserole in hand. She was Mexican, though I think her husband was a Mexican-American. My Mom and her used to visit, and my Mom would often go to Mass with her. So, when people bash Angelenos about being shallow and unfriendly, that's NOT my experience with them at all, particularly if they are regular middle-class folks. In fact, the Seattleites and Portlanders I've met can't hold a candle to Angelenos on this dimension, nor in their "water off a duck's back" sense of humor.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 PM

408 posts, read 997,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
What's your opinion about mexicans in general?
I love Mexicans! I took Spanish for ten years, lament not being able to practice it more. Fine-looking Latino men and women "in the tan", love the food! Enjoy their company. Country's a bit of a mess, but which country isn't? Interesting social culture and way of life in Mexico. Wouldn't mind living in a mostly Spanish-speaking neighborhood in USA. Let the immigration continue to the US as well!

Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
It's only a matter of time before Mexicans become the majority nationality in the United States anyway. In 10 years time Mexicans will be the majority in New York by some distance.

At this point it is only realistic to expect that they will inherit the reins of power and when that day comes I predict that America will become part of Mexico anyway.

Mexicana is coming, so its just as well to learn some Spanish, it will undoubtedly be the number one language in the United States within 50 years.

Throughout the course of history the political power in America has reflected the demographics, eventually. The two countries may as well merge as one and face the reality of working together. There'll be benefits too.
Good point here.....ON a related note, why didn't the US just conquer all of Mexico back in the 1800s when it had the chance to do so? Any political-historians care to chime in?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
It's only a matter of time before Mexicans become the majority nationality in the United States anyway. In 10 years time Mexicans will be the majority in New York by some distance.

At this point it is only realistic to expect that they will inherit the reins of power and when that day comes I predict that America will become part of Mexico anyway.

Mexicana is coming, so its just as well to learn some Spanish, it will undoubtedly be the number one language in the United States within 50 years.

Throughout the course of history the political power in America has reflected the demographics, eventually. The two countries may as well merge as one and face the reality of working together. There'll be benefits too.
What nonsense.

If all of Mexico's 115 million people moved to the US tomorrow they would still be outnumbered by the 200 million Euro Americans, 35 million African-Americans, and 15 million Asian-Americans that are non-hispanic.

Also, New York has few people of Mexican descent. Most hispanics in New York are from Puerto Rico.

I also doubt that speaking Spanish in the US will ever be a requirement. Even in states like California and Texas, which have high Mexican populations, it's not necessary unless you want to live in an immigrant ghetto. Many states still have hardly any Mexican or other hispanic people.

Eventually immigration will slow down and Mexican-Americans will mostly speak English like the rest of us. Even now, many second and third generation Mexican-Americans do not know how to speak Spanish.

However, all this immigration will certainly have an impact on the ethnic mosaic of the US. We'll end up looking more like Chile over time.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
What nonsense.

If all of Mexico's 115 million people moved to the US tomorrow they would still be outnumbered by the 200 million Euro Americans, 35 million African-Americans, and 15 million Asian-Americans that are non-hispanic.

Also, New York has few people of Mexican descent. Most hispanics in New York are from Puerto Rico.

I also doubt that speaking Spanish in the US will ever be a requirement. Even in states like California and Texas, which have high Mexican populations, it's not necessary unless you want to live in an immigrant ghetto. Many states still have hardly any Mexican or other hispanic people.

Eventually immigration will slow down and Mexican-Americans will mostly speak English like the rest of us. Even now, many second and third generation Mexican-Americans do not know how to speak Spanish.

However, all this immigration will certainly have an impact on the ethnic mosaic of the US. We'll end up looking more like Chile over time.
If you are a public servant in California you are expected to have a basic grasp of the Spanish language. Otherwise your role in law enforcement, fire brigade or emergency services is going to be that much more difficult. That's an inescapable fact.

As for the projections every year the projection for when Mexicans will become the largest nationality in the United States is revised upwards. look what it was in 2002, it was paltry compared to the figure it is projected as today.

What you've just attempted to do is lump in every European and African nationality under the same umbrella. I said the largest 'nationality', not continent

And earlier predictions that it would take until 2023 before Mexicans became the largest nationality in New York have been surpassed by new studies that show it could happen by as early as 2019.

The Puerto Ricans already outnumber any single European country and only really immigration from Asian countries like China can seriously compete with the rise of the Mexican population.

'Mexicans are the fastest growing group of Hispanic population. Some estimates suggest that Mexicans will surpass both Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in 2023 to become the city’s largest national Latino sub-group, and that Dominicans will surpass Puerto Ricans in 2030 to become the second largest Latino nationality'.

Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York City Becoming Less Dominican, More Mexican, Census Finds - COLORLINES

Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 AM

305 posts, read 750,379 times
You do realize the net gain by Mexicans into the U.S. in the last couple of years is 0%. That means just as many are going back to Mexico that are going to the U.S.

In anycase, your posts are hilarious. Keep it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico