Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM

210 posts, read 427,977 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are taking a trip to cozumel at the end of the year. What could someone recommend to do while staying there? We are going to be on the vacation for 7 days and should have plenty of time to see quite a bit. Do boats ferry tourist's across to mainland mexico? Any places to eat that are a must? Just trying to plan ahead. Thanks for the help! If it matters we are staying towards the north part right on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
The islands is not very big so you can visit it very fast, you have ferries, in 45 min you can be in Playa del Carmen with lots of discos and places to do shopping (in Cozumel too)
I was there in a cruise stop so I don't have too much info as I was there for a short time.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
The islands is not very big so you can visit it very fast, you have ferries, in 45 min you can be in Playa del Carmen with lots of discos and places to do shopping (in Cozumel too)
I was there in a cruise stop so I don't have too much info as I was there for a short time.

Thank you very much for the reply. From what I can see on a map it looks like you can get across to mainland mexico easily and it's nothing but resorts up and down the coast. Probably some really good shopping. My wife and I would really like to find some great places to eat. We don't want the touristy spots. We enjoy finding the places that the locals eat at. So excited for the trip. I put we are on the north end of Cozumel but its actually the very south end of the island.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
I stopped in Cozmel for two days as I was exploring the Yucatan. I think the island itself is a big tourist spot, mostly because of the cruise ships that stop there. I'd forgo renting a car or even the off road vehicles (I think that the rental insurance won't let you take the off road vehicles off road), and get a scootor. The SW end of the island is mostly resort type places ($$$), and the most of the eastern side of the island is empty with mostly rocky beaches. The town in the west-central part of the island, San Miguel, is fairly typical for that part of mexico. Lots of american type food with some mexican sprinkled in ($$), though there are some normal mexican restraunts further from where the cruise ships dock.
Playa del Carmen is really just a smaller version of Cancun, or a bigger version of Cozmel. A trip down to Tulum to see the ruins might be worth it. If you didn't already book a place to stay for the entire trip, I'd maybe head out to see some other ruins like Chichén Itzá and visit a cenote or two.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I stopped in Cozmel for two days as I was exploring the Yucatan. I think the island itself is a big tourist spot, mostly because of the cruise ships that stop there. I'd forgo renting a car or even the off road vehicles (I think that the rental insurance won't let you take the off road vehicles off road), and get a scootor. The SW end of the island is mostly resort type places ($$$), and the most of the eastern side of the island is empty with mostly rocky beaches. The town in the west-central part of the island, San Miguel, is fairly typical for that part of mexico. Lots of american type food with some mexican sprinkled in ($$), though there are some normal mexican restraunts further from where the cruise ships dock.
Playa del Carmen is really just a smaller version of Cancun, or a bigger version of Cozmel. A trip down to Tulum to see the ruins might be worth it. If you didn't already book a place to stay for the entire trip, I'd maybe head out to see some other ruins like Chichén Itzá and visit a cenote or two.

My wife has already mentioned visiting these ruins. As far as authentic food in the area, could you recommend anything? I don't want the tourist version of the food. I would like to find the real deal places that locals eat at.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
You can visit Tulum ruins, not far from the coast.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle450rider View Post
My wife has already mentioned visiting these ruins. As far as authentic food in the area, could you recommend anything? I don't want the tourist version of the food. I would like to find the real deal places that locals eat at.
Just look for any place that doesn't have any gringos hanging out, haha. Especially if the food is cheap and nobody speaks english. I can't recommend any place, I don't remember any names. Just like anywhere else in the US or even the world, the best local food is probably some hole in the wall place or locally owned joint at least few blocks away from the touristy areas.

And about the cenotes... the place I went to is call Los Tres Cenotes near Cuzama. Park your car and get on a cart on rails pulled by a donkey. Stop at each of the underground water holes and have fun. Probably the best part of the trip. And if you go that far, maybe check out Merida. Cool city with a nice downtown area. There are some tourists, but they're probably from Mexico City, lol.

The best mexican food I had was probably in Coatepec Harinas... about 7500 feet high and a few hours from Mexico City. Cheap, greasy and oh so good. Too far for this trip though, but there are probably thousands of little places like it between there and Cozumel.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Just look for any place that doesn't have any gringos hanging out, haha. Especially if the food is cheap and nobody speaks english. I can't recommend any place, I don't remember any names. Just like anywhere else in the US or even the world, the best local food is probably some hole in the wall place or locally owned joint at least few blocks away from the touristy areas.
Exactly right. A few blocks back from the waterfront, Cozumel is just a regular town, inhabited by regular Mexicans, with little cafes and shops, frequented by Mexican residents of the neighborhood.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cozum...,,0,23.69&z=16

Like all Mexicans, they are honest and friendly. Enjoy your visit to the real Mexico.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Thank you so much for all the reply's. We are eagerly waiting to take off for our vacation. We've been scouting out lot's of places to visit while there as well as trying to find the local eateries. Could anyone recommend a bakery in cozumel or do they even have any? Once I was in san antonio and went into a mexican bakery that had these type of cookies that were off the chart good. Not to sweet and perfect with morning coffee.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle450rider View Post
Thank you so much for all the reply's. We are eagerly waiting to take off for our vacation. We've been scouting out lot's of places to visit while there as well as trying to find the local eateries. Could anyone recommend a bakery in cozumel or do they even have any? Once I was in san antonio and went into a mexican bakery that had these type of cookies that were off the chart good. Not to sweet and perfect with morning coffee.
No problem. Lots of sweet shops all over Mexico with those kinds of bakery items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico