Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

This has happened to me twice in the last 30 days.

Both time the meter worked the same (same station/different pump).

This station is at the south end of town at the Quota/7/11 store.

The meter will read going up to 145 Peso and then JUMP to 200 Peso reading skipping the numbers between and then shutting OFF.....WTF I thought......this is NOT working right.

Did NOT say anything as I knew it would be my word against his (he's an employee and not the franchise owner).

Within the last month did observe a person measuring the gas dispensed from each pump regards to it's accuracy so know the fluid amount is correct.......then again what about the METER reading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Employees at Pemex stations are notorious, throughout the nation ... for tampering with pumps. And some of the station owners have done that, as well. These things are what I've read and what friends who've experienced what you experienced have told me. Caveat Emptor.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 PM

29 posts, read 73,440 times
What you can do when that happens, is go and ask them for a receipt from iniside..their pumps are connected up to computers. And if there is a discrepancy, you will notice it there. It (almost) happened to me once..When i turned on my car, I noticed that my gas guage wasn't where it sould be for puttiing in 200 pesos. He told me that he put it in..the meter stated 200. I argued to no avail. So I went inside the little office, asked them for a factura and a reading of the pump...they showed me, and it said that only 100 pesos was pumped in! Went back outside...showed the man the receipt...got the rest of my gas.
I have heard though that there are some gas stations that are like you say...but all is gov't run connected to computers for verification. So I no longer worry about it now..Just go inside if need be

Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
DANG....thanx for that Info. Will do that next time.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM

75 posts, read 164,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Employees at Pemex stations are notorious, throughout the nation ... for tampering with pumps. And some of the station owners have done that, as well. These things are what I've read and what friends who've experienced what you experienced have told me. Caveat Emptor.
I've been on the receiving end of such a scam while having the rental vehicle gassed up at PEMEX before return to San Jose Del Cabo airport rental drop off. Live and learn..

Shameful PEMEX monopoly. Shameful that I can't pump my own gas while down there.

Best bet if at all possible is to stand right in front of the pump meter, even if it annoys the attendant. At the PEMEX stations near the SJC rental car dropoffs they'll have 3 guys at your vehicle - 1 to make chit-chat with you to distract you while he also cleans your car windows, one to pump your gas, and one to block your view of the pump meter.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh.yerbouti View Post
I've been on the receiving end of such a scam while having the rental vehicle gassed up at PEMEX before return to San Jose Del Cabo airport rental drop off. Live and learn..

Shameful PEMEX monopoly. Shameful that I can't pump my own gas while down there.

Best bet if at all possible is to stand right in front of the pump meter, even if it annoys the attendant. At the PEMEX stations near the SJC rental car dropoffs they'll have 3 guys at your vehicle - 1 to make chit-chat with you to distract you while he also cleans your car windows, one to pump your gas, and one to block your view of the pump meter.
Pemex has nothing to do with these robberies.

Gas stations are operated through franchise system, all operated by private entrepreneurs, not by government.

Rather than whining you can do something to change this situation by making a complaint to the PROFECO (Federal Consumer Procurator).

Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 AM

75 posts, read 164,708 times
In addition to my whining, that's what I did when i got home. Unfortunately, when you're pressed for time on your way to the airport, gathering evidence to support your complaint, and whining, can be difficult. And said unscrupulous individual 'entrepreneurs' in key locations know this. Besides, this is an open forum, we are free to criticize, er, whine away here, just as you have done.

Also, as an open forum, this 'whining' provides an opportunity to warn others of particular unscrupulous pump operators in the event that a particular destination may be in someones upcoming travel plans.

Yes, I know the franchises are individually run, and I doubt any company would actually sanction theft, but the legislative environment allows this particular monopoly to exist rather than to let it compete. And although this company may not sanction theft, as a monopoly, there is little incentive for it to aggressively pursue unscrupulous pump operators. So I'll be sure I'll add this to my next complaint, er criticism, er whine to the PROFECO when another attempt at padding my bill occurs.

Last edited by sheikh.yerbouti; 06-20-2013 at 12:38 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh.yerbouti View Post
Yes, I know the franchises are individually run, and I doubt any company would actually sanction theft, but the legislative environment allows this particular monopoly to exist rather than to let it compete. And although this company may not sanction theft, as a monopoly, there is little incentive for it to aggressively pursue unscrupulous pump operators. So I'll be sure I'll add this to my next complaint, er criticism, er whine to the PROFECO when another attempt at padding my bill occurs.
Gas Stations compete with each other.

So if you think about it, most gasoline is imported from USA so, BP, Exxon, Shell and others must sanction theft on gas stations? Your complaint is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico