Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 25,546 times

Advertisements

Okay I know Mexican isn't a race. I live in Texas and usually just see 'mestizo' ones(new word I found out about) and the white looking ones. I've read about it online a bit and I read that white Mexicans are rich, but to be honest I don't think that's true. I know white looking ones and they're in the same class I am(lower middle class). I've seen some of the family of my 'mestizo' Mexican friends and I've noticed that a lot of times there are white looking Mexicans and mixed Mexicans in the same families. Would that be like white Americans and black Americans being in the same family in Mexico, or is that normal? I mean they don't look too different from each other, like say whites and blacks do, but I'm just curious.

also I know that Spaniards came and killed a lot of natives by murder or illness. So yeah obviously I know that Mexicans have native in them, it's quiet well known since some are proud of it and others seem to not care at all.

but in Mexico, are there people of German descent, Swedish, Dutch, Asians and stuff like that? Because I don't think that Mexicans are just descended from spanish conquistadors and that's their only white side, cause most in my opinion don't look like native americans. I've seen native Americans in real life and online, movies etc. and I wouldn't say Mexicans usually look just like them.

sorry if I sound dumb, I'm just curious and don't know much about this.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:44 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekstraccx View Post
Okay I know Mexican isn't a race. I live in Texas and usually just see 'mestizo' ones(new word I found out about) and the white looking ones. I've read about it online a bit and I read that white Mexicans are rich, but to be honest I don't think that's true. I know white looking ones and they're in the same class I am(lower middle class)

but in Mexico, are there people of German descent, Swedish, Dutch, Asians and stuff like that? Because I don't think that Mexicans are just descended from spanish conquistadors and that's their only white side, cause most in my opinion don't look like native americans. I've seen native Americans in real life and online, movies etc. and I wouldn't say Mexicans usually look just like them.

sorry if I sound dumb, I'm just curious and don't know much about this.
I agree, if you look at some old photos of native Americans they look a lot different than Mexican people of today.

I notice a lot of Mexican people resemble Italians & Spanish people more than native americans.

some have wavy or frizzy hair, not found on a native american

the main difference is the eyes, notice the eyes on these NA? they have more of an asian look than european?
Attached Thumbnails
Race/ethnicity of Mexicans-2014-09-29_133255.jpg   Race/ethnicity of Mexicans-2014-09-29_132852.jpg   Race/ethnicity of Mexicans-2014-09-29_133148.jpg   Race/ethnicity of Mexicans-2014-09-29_133816.jpg   Race/ethnicity of Mexicans-2014-09-29_133531.jpg  

Race/ethnicity of Mexicans-2014-09-29_133420.jpg  

Old 09-29-2014, 04:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
^ lol what? some of those resemble the day laborers and even the food vendors I see around here. Also, none of them in those images you linked have frizzy hair. It's mostly straight.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
^ lol what? some of those resemble the day laborers and even the food vendors I see around here. Also, none of them in those images you linked have frizzy hair. It's mostly straight.
thats what I said, you never find native americans that have wavy or frizzy, curly hair like a lot of Mexican Mestizos have.

Mexicans often have a "mediterranean look" with more facial hair

back in the old west days they could often tell who was a mexican just by the heavy facial hair found on the mestizos

the Native Americans usually had less facial hair if any

Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
thats what I said, you never find native americans that have wavy or frizzy, curly hair like a lot of Mexican Mestizos have.

BS. Those pictures you posted are of people from what is now the United States NOT Mexico. If someone were to post antique pictures of indian people from Mexico, you'd see they are indistinguishable from many modern-day Mexicans. Mexicans often have an indian look, even if they've got fair skin. You can still tell from their facial features that they are part indian.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
BS. Those pictures you posted are of people from what is now the United States NOT Mexico. If someone were to post antique pictures of indian people from Mexico, you'd see they are indistinguishable from many modern-day Mexicans. Mexicans often have an indian look, even if they've got fair skin. You can still tell from their facial features that they are part indian.
the OP was talking about native americans he's met in real life and seen on tv in comparison to mexicans

Old 09-29-2014, 07:30 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Isn't this just a repeat of other threads, even one that is active right now called What ancestry do most Mexicans have really??
CIty Data folks from the US love their racial/ethnicity categories.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post

Indian, huh? I wonder how those people got from India to Mexico

Old 09-30-2014, 01:53 PM

23 posts, read 40,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

back in the old west days they could often tell who was a mexican just by the heavy facial hair found on the mestizos

the Native Americans usually had less facial hair if any
Yes you do. They're called Afro-Mexicans and there are LOTS of them in North Carolina. Mexico was another destination for African slaves, only theirs were absorbed into the Native pop. The opposite happened in the U.S. southeast. There the number of slaves swallowed up many of the Indians through intermarriage. There are extensive records of the latter. As far as Mexicans with frizzy hair, over at 23and me there are several threads started by Mexican people who want to know where did the SSA in so many of them come from. They have been hitting some pretty high avgs. of around 10% that they have no CLUE where it comes from until now. Try researching Veracruz, Michoacan, Costa Chica etc..... The same thing in Peru, Guatemala, Colombia, El Salvador, Brazil, and many others.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:59 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Isn't this just a repeat of other threads, even one that is active right now called What ancestry do most Mexicans have really??
CIty Data folks from the US love their racial/ethnicity categories.
This seems to be a common theme in the US, Mexico, America's and European forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.