Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,581 times

Advertisements

I used to think that being farther away from the United States would make Mexico a lot more poorer, but would it really??

Do you think it would be much poorer? Being next to the World's largest economy and having the NAFTA treaty, you'd think the wealth would rub off...I'd be thinking the HDI and per capita would be be like Spain, South Korea, Canada or Italy... but nope, not really. I'm not sure what went wrong or what's going wrong.

Also, the remittances really don't make a large percentage of the Mexican economy, if anything, they probably make 5% of the Mexican economy. Though this has greatly benefited some Mexican towns and made people build roads, and even fix up and make their plazas look nicely, the Mexican states that are relatively well off has minimal involvement from the Federal Government and don't recieve that many remittances.

Being close to the US has sure made better lives for the Mexicans who flew to the US and many are greatful for that but has it really bettered the lives of Mexicans back home?

At first I would think Mexico would look like Guatemala, Bolivia or subsaharan african countries... but then again, maybe Mexico in the microeconomic level wouldn't be that much different.

What country would it be most similar to if it weren't next to the USA? Would we be better or worse, and why isn't Mexico like Spain or it's Canadian counterpart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 04:16 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Must be a boring day with nothing more important to think about.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:36 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Philippines ... Both rely on remittances.
Cultures are similar as well.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,606 times
What if?

Although it is an interesting exercise, is just a waste of time.

The causes of poverty in Mexico are a variety of factors where the border with a superpower is just one of them.

If Mexico does not share border with the United States would be a much larger country with more land and wealth, probably at the level of some economy with HDI (Human Development Index) of +.900 today.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
This doesn't exactly answer your question, but it is an interesting map:

File:Mexican States GDP Per Capita PPP 2012 matching similar countries.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
What if?

Although it is an interesting exercise, is just a waste of time.

The causes of poverty in Mexico are a variety of factors where the border with a superpower is just one of them.

If Mexico does not share border with the United States would be a much larger country with more land and wealth, probably at the level of some economy with HDI (Human Development Index) of +.900 today.
Well thanks. This answered my question. And to the other person, that was an interesting map. Thanks for sharing. I Thought Chiapas would have the same HDI as China or Mongolia...or some of the central asian countries that end in "Stan" or "an"...I thought that Nuevo Leon would be more similar to Germany, New Zealand or Australia.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
El Salvador.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:49 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,680 times
The map is really not helpful at all if it is used as a way of comparing standards of living rather than as simply a measure of natural resources extracted, divided by population. That is how Campeche with its vast oil wealth ranks equal to Luxembourg. A better measure would be median income per capita, and no part of Mexico compares well with any western European country or any part of the U. S. in that way.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
This is a silly thread and a waste of time, sorry my friends.

What is Texas touched Canada versus Mexico?
What is Europe was actually asia?
What if the sun came up at night and the moon during the day?

Its just to ambiguous.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times
it wouldn't be Mexico, now, would it.

One thing that bothers me about Mexicans (I am one, so shut up) is that we're so quick to blame the US and outsiders for our ailments. Oh, Americans just take advantage of us. Oh the Chinese are undercutting us. Maybe it's time to be introspective and think "Maybe it's us". Every thought about that?

Maybe it's corruption and nepotism that keeps Mexico down? Maybe it's the fact that our mentality is one of self-defeatism and charlatanism. Maybe it's that we worship all that is foreign and hate ourselves. I agree with the other posters... asinine thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico