Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:48 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

I'm reading about how Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard who is a member of Mexico's left wing or ''PRD'' is cleaning up, modernizing and tackling Mexico City's problems head on and is starting to emerge as a serious candidate for the next presidency as this has me wondering if he will bring the PRD into power from the right wing or ''Pan'' of President Calderon like what Obama did reciently in the USA.

Will Mexico start to go left?
Mexico City's mayor | Backroom boss | The Economist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:52 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
God grip us confessed :lol:

The next president will be Enrique Peña Nieto from the PRI...

Regards!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:55 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
I agree with El Inombrable, Peña Nieto is the governnor of the state of Mexico, which neighboors the Federal District (home of Mexico city) although Ebrard will be a serious contender

Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the info on Nieto !!! So the PRI is making a comeback in Mexico ??? Do you guys like him??

Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks for the info on Nieto !!! So the PRI is making a comeback in Mexico ??? Do you guys like him??
I guess that more than the PRI is making a comeback in Mexico, people now learnt to vote for the party who's offering them them the most, or vote because of the candidate more than the party.

So far Peña Nieto has invested heavily in the state of Mexico and has brought a lot of foreign investment too, this has made him popular.

On the other hand people are weary of the PAN, scared of the PRD and this is the reason why the PRI has been earning people in congress, governors and has the chance of winning the presidential elections, however many things could change in 3 years.

Now regarding the question of if I like the PRI or not? I'm pragmatic, I don't really like the PRI that much, but if they offer good solutions for the problems we face as a nation, I'll vote for them, things have changed here and even if the PRI wins we can vote them out if they aren't doing their job properly.

Nice threads 6 FOOT, keem 'em comin'

Old 01-17-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I guess that more than the PRI is making a comeback in Mexico, people now learnt to vote for the party who's offering them them the most, or vote because of the candidate more than the party.

So far Peña Nieto has invested heavily in the state of Mexico and has brought a lot of foreign investment too, this has made him popular.

On the other hand people are weary of the PAN, scared of the PRD and this is the reason why the PRI has been earning people in congress, governors and has the chance of winning the presidential elections, however many things could change in 3 years.

Now regarding the question of if I like the PRI or not? I'm pragmatic, I don't really like the PRI that much, but if they offer good solutions for the problems we face as a nation, I'll vote for them, things have changed here and even if the PRI wins we can vote them out if they aren't doing their job properly.

Nice threads 6 FOOT, keem 'em comin'
Thanks Travelling Fella for schooling me about Nieto and how Mexicans feel about the PRD and the PAN as we along the USA/Mexico border region i.e. New Mexico/Chihuahua hear that the ''Nortenos'' love the PAN .

Another question i have is since he has done such a great job in the ''Estado de Mexico'' do you feel he could also transfer that success to the entire country so Mexico in the near future becomes a ''High Tech'' and ''High Wage'' country with a powerful middle class and gets on par with the USA and Canada amongst the 3 nations.

Thanks again !!!
6/3

Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Thanks Travelling Fella for schooling me about Nieto and how Mexicans feel about the PRD and the PAN as we along the USA/Mexico border region i.e. New Mexico/Chihuahua hear that the ''Nortenos'' love the PAN .

Another question i have is since he has done such a great job in the ''Estado de Mexico'' do you feel he could also transfer that success to the entire country so Mexico in the near future becomes a ''High Tech'' and ''High Wage'' country with a powerful middle class and gets on par with the USA and Canada amongst the 3 nations.

Thanks again !!!
6/3
I'm not sure about that, the idea is to transform Mexico into such a country, and things were looking really god so far with calderon and his team, but now with the global crisis this could take more time, we shall see

Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default The lesser of two evils in my opinion...

Marcelo Ebrard would spell disaster for US/Mexico relations, even though he and Obama would agree on many social issues, it is the backlash of the US voters that would have a problem with him. What the US does not need is a buddy to Hugo Chavez at it's doorstep. It would hurt the immigrants in this country for him as Mexico's president in the long run, I believe.

Nieto is center left, so more moderate than Ebrard, so I think he would do best for Mexico. The next elections will be interesting to watch. I think Mexico is a sleeping giant, and on the verge of being awaken. How long will that take? Who knows, but I think things will improve for Mexico in the coming years.

BTW, I think I know the answer to this, but I wonder if I could vote in Mexico's elections? I recently obtained my Mexican citizenship in July, but I don't know if voting rights are extended to me. My mother was from Mexico and was naturalized back in the 60s, and Mexico recently changed it's laws to say that children born of Mexican parents could get citizenship. My mother had to reclaim her Mexican citizenship again, but after that process, I was able to claim mine.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Marcelo Ebrard would spell disaster for US/Mexico relations, even though he and Obama would agree on many social issues, it is the backlash of the US voters that would have a problem with him. What the US does not need is a buddy to Hugo Chavez at it's doorstep. It would hurt the immigrants in this country for him as Mexico's president in the long run, I believe.

Nieto is center left, so more moderate than Ebrard, so I think he would do best for Mexico. The next elections will be interesting to watch. I think Mexico is a sleeping giant, and on the verge of being awaken. How long will that take? Who knows, but I think things will improve for Mexico in the coming years.

BTW, I think I know the answer to this, but I wonder if I could vote in Mexico's elections? I recently obtained my Mexican citizenship in July, but I don't know if voting rights are extended to me. My mother was from Mexico and was naturalized back in the 60s, and Mexico recently changed it's laws to say that children born of Mexican parents could get citizenship. My mother had to reclaim her Mexican citizenship again, but after that process, I was able to claim mine.
I think you are, you should go to the nearest Mexican consulate and find out, now it is possible for Mexicans living abroad to vote

Now regarding Ebrard, I doubt that he is friends with Hugo Chavez, I personally don't like him much because even though he has invested heavily in Mexico city and built a lot of new infrastructure, sometimes it is poorly planned, compared to the same works in the neighbooring state of Mexico.

I believe that specially in the beginning, Ebrard had to act like that in order to keep Lopez Obrador appeased, but recently he has been distancing himself from the radical left wing of the PRD.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
Marcelo has no chance for the PRD, do not want it there, watching my crystal ball, I would say that candidates will be:

PRI: Enrique Peña Nieto
PAN: Santiago Creel
PRD: Juan Ramon de la Fuente
PT-CONVERGENCE: Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador
PANAL: Marcelo Ebrard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico