Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 33,776 times

Advertisements

First of all, yes I'm aware that Tijuana is much less glorious than San Diego. Please don't tell me OH NOES DON'T DO IT because I've made up my mind... and I understand the risks. When I was little until my teenage years I lived there and it's not all too bad...

I applied for a SENTRI pass a few months ago so I can commute to work in SD every day, and it's taking it's sweet time... so I've had some time think, haha. Originally my plan was to live there by myself by Zona Rio, but my parents decided to get a place there as well and having them as my neighbors makes me feel more comfortable about moving in deeper within the city.

They're talking about BUYING a house though (they already own another one in MX), and it sounds awesome... but is it legal for me? I know the FM3 form allows US citizens to live there, but how about buying property? I don't have the best of credit either in the US, would that be a problem? What is the process generally like?

What would the price difference be between buying and renting? My budget is around $400 to $700 for a 2 bedroom place. I'm willing to pay a few thousand down if it helps. Is that doable?

And, important side note: I've been looking around, but what neighborhoods do you suggest for that price for either buying or renting? It's very important that it's a safe neighborhood... I'm 25 and I'd be living by myself, but I'm not naive. I'd like to live in one of those gated "privada" neighborhoods, but I really don't know how to find them online. :s Is there any list of privadas or something?

Last edited by msgeni; 01-18-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Get your financing lined up first. A few thousand down is probably not going to cut it. You can buy a house, but you will have a hard time qualifying for a loan anything like what you can get in the US both in interest rates and down payments.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgeni View Post
They're talking about BUYING a house though (they already own another one in MX), and it sounds awesome... but is it legal for me? I know the FM3 form allows US citizens to live there, but how about buying property? I don't have the best of credit either in the US, would that be a problem? What is the process generally like?
1) You cannot OWN property in TJ. It is unconstitutional to own property in Mexico within 62 miles of a border or 31 miles of a coast. You technically purchase a long term lease called a Fideicomiso. It does grant most of the rights of ownership (albeit with another fee) so you may now care.

2) Bad credit is a killer in Mexico. Purchasing a home is a little like running up a credit card in the USA. You must put a great deal of money down and then pay very high interest rates for short term. I you say "I don't have the best of credit" then you probably are not a good candidate.

3) Know about ejido land. This is a type of land ownership created after the 1910 revolution which doesn't exist in the USA. It is land not owned by the public sector, or privately owned. Instead it is owned by the "community". Most Americans who tell you the Mexican government can just "take away your land" are talking about ejido disputes. This knowledge may have little practical value, but at least you will not be frightened by stories

4) The government can take your land if you get involved in politics in Mexico. The laws are different than in the USA. However, they are not likely to take your land if you are opinionated, only if you become a political power (which is not likely). Be aware that this story is true, but don't worry about it.

5) The Playas are very nice, and if you are a few blocks from the beach they can be surprisingly affordable. They are also used to renting to people from the USA.

6) Remember that "America" refers to both Northern America and Latin America. Many educated Latinos resent the co-opting of the word "American" to refer to only people from the USA.

7) Many very nice homes are available for rent. A lot of moneyed Mexicans have moved across the border where they feel safer from kidnappings. In August 2004 President Bush extended the time permitted on a vist using a Border Crossing Card from 72 hours to 30 days. This card is issued to middle class Mexican nationals who are believed to have significant ties in Mexico and allows them to come to the border crossing region without a visa. The Border Crossing region effectively means San Diego county, Imperial county and Tucson (but not Los Angeles and Phoenix). When the violence increased in Tijuana around the same time, the moneyed Tijuanese simply moved across the border to live in southern San Diego County. They must return to Mexico for at least a few minutes every 30 days. Many of the Tijuana businesses set up branch offices in Otay to serve these expatriates.

8) I for one applaud your decision. I suspect that quality of your life will on the whole improve, but you will be forced to endure some annoyances.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:37 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Since your parents own a home in Mexico and your not seeking advise from them, I assume they are Mexicans Nationals born in Mexico. If this is true, as their biological son or daughter you can easily obtain Mexican Citizenship or "dual citizenship" to cut out all the bureaucracy of being a foreigner buying a home in Mexico. This can be done at the Mexican Consulate in Little-Italy San Diego or any US City with a Mex Consulate.

Even if you don't buy a home, I would recommend doing it as it will make living-renting in Tijuana a bit easier.

Old 08-26-2020, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 4,778 times
Did you ever move to Tijuana? If so how was the experience?

Old 08-28-2020, 09:45 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique1904 View Post
Did you ever move to Tijuana? If so how was the experience?
The OP last posted on 02-23-2015 at 02:04 PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico