Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I found Los Angeles to be much worse than Mexico City to be truthful. From Castillo de Chapultepec you get great views and can take great pics and the smog doesn't appear to be as bad as you stated from up there, maybe things have improved.

Last year when entering Mexico City from Acapulco I saw an electronic sign that said that the city had licence plate restrictions and certain cars could not drive in the city that day based on the licence plate. I was driving a rent a car so I was paranoid that I might get pulled over because I did not know the license plate of the car I was driving.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoy_No_Circula]Hoy No Circula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
LOL My husband flew in to handle some family issues last October and got pulled over in his brother's car for driving on the wrong day... had to pay they guy off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That's ironic because I hear the northern border towns and states are the most dangerous in Mexico.

Yeah it seems Asians, particularly now Chinese and Koreans, are travelling everywhere in large numbers. It's good to see it getting better and hopefully safer. I hope to visit Mexico one day.
It is kind of ironic, but 'northern Mexico' is huge and there are many places untouched/ slightly affected by the drug wars. My family in Mexicali is comfortable middle class, so they see things differently.

Actually, I think the US focuses solely on drug trafficking issues in relation to Mexico and most people haven't realized that the Mexican middle class has been growing steadily.

Half of my family stayed in Mexico, and half went to the US. They have both done well for themselves and have similar lifestyles and incomes.

Also, Chinese immigration to Mexicali is actually from the late 1800s. That is why I mentioned that Mexican Asians are normal to me!

Last edited by rosa surf; 03-17-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Despite the fact that you hear that Times Square is the most popular tourist spot in America, many of those tourists are international. In general though the number of Americans who would vacation in a city are few and far between.
According to NYC & Company, there were 40 million domestic tourists vs. only 10 million foreign tourists in NYC in 2011. Many European cities are famous for being practically overrun by American tourists in the summertime.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:34 PM

Would visiting Mexico City with a 2-year-old be recommended? It sounds amazing, but my toddler goes where I go these days so I have to keep that in mind. The only place I've been in Mexico is San Cristobal de Las Casas which blew me away.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 PM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
I personally think Mexico City is one of the greatest cities in the world and one of the most overlooked, especially in the United States. I have been there a few times and will definitely return.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Would visiting Mexico City with a 2-year-old be recommended? It sounds amazing, but my toddler goes where I go these days so I have to keep that in mind. The only place I've been in Mexico is San Cristobal de Las Casas which blew me away.
Yes, I think it is. There is an amazing museum there for children, I think its called Papalote and I remember seeing an amusement park somewhere on the bus tour. plus, Mexico is such a child friendly society, there are always events and activities going on for children.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:08 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I took my 5 year to Mex City with me a couple of months ago. I took him to the zoo (free), the national library (which has an awesome children's section) and to the Papalote Children's Museum which is the best children's museum we have ever been to. Across the street from our Centro Historico hotel was a park where I would take him to play. Every morning we would eat pancakes with marmalade (not syrup) at VIPs. We were more adventurous at dinner time.

We had a great time together. That said, he is 5 and can walk for long periods. Taking him at two would have been very difficult for me and he wouldn't have appreciated the trip as much. I am not discouraging you because its Mexico City, I am just expressing that city touring (any city) is difficult with a toddler. Have a great time if you decide to go.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I took my 5 year to Mex City with me a couple of months ago. I took him to the zoo (free), the national library (which has an awesome children's section) and to the Papalote Children's Museum which is the best children's museum we have ever been to. Across the street from our Centro Historico hotel was a park where I would take him to play. Every morning we would eat pancakes with marmalade (not syrup) at VIPs. We were more adventurous at dinner time.

We had a great time together. That said, he is 5 and can walk for long periods. Taking him at two would have been very difficult for me and he wouldn't have appreciated the trip as much. I am not discouraging you because its Mexico City, I am just expressing that city touring (any city) is difficult with a toddler. Have a great time if you decide to go.
Thanks for the info. The only major cities my kid has been to are San Francisco, Seattle and Boston. Mexico City, being a much larger, global city, I would think would have more the energy level of NYC. That being said, for some reason I was blessed with a child who seems to enjoy city environments (for the time being) - seeing all the people, riding public transit, hanging out in parks and kid-friendly museums, etc. From what you and Rosa Surf are saying I'm hearing that there isn't any reason a trip to Mexico City with a kid would be any harder than any other major city, in fact some factors might make it easier (kid friendly culture, great activities and museums etc).

Based on current family planning going on in my house, by the time this kiddo is 5 there may well be another 2-year-old in the picture, and given that kid #2 might not be so city friendly, and doing anything with 2 kids is exponentially harder anyway, I've been thinking of seizing the opportunity to take an urban vacation while I have the chance. This thread has bumped Mexico City several slots up the list. I guess I better brush up on my Spanish.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:21 PM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yes, I think it is. There is an amazing museum there for children, I think its called Papalote and I remember seeing an amusement park somewhere on the bus tour. plus, Mexico is such a child friendly society, there are always events and activities going on for children.
There's an amusement park in the Bosque de Chapultepec park (Mexico City's version of Central Park) and a Six Flags on the outskirts of the city (I think its the only Six Flags outside the USA).

Here you can see the entrance to Six Flags Mexico:

http://goo.gl/maps/8f7gL

And the inside of the other amusement park in Chapultepec Park:

http://goo.gl/maps/CqjBX

http://goo.gl/maps/dVnRy

http://goo.gl/maps/o3HgX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico