Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:26 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Nothing compares to the Oaxaca cheese sold in the "Productos Oaxaqueños" trucks in Mexico.
Well, except the version you find in the markets of Oaxaca, of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 03:12 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,488,540 times
I am from (and partially grew up in) Culiacan in the the coastal state of Sinaloa. For the most part, in Culiacan (Sinaloa in general) we are known for our seafood, specifically our shrimp dishes (including shrimp tamales). Our ceviches have a lot more shrimp than others, and common dishes, along with the typical 'coctel', include 'camarones ahogados' o en 'aguachile', as well as a variety of fillet fish. In terms of meats, chilorio and cochinita pebil (both pork) are pretty typical, as well as carne seca (thin dried meat, almost like a jerkey). We usually top off our sopa de arroz (Spanish/Mexican rice) with bananas (other Mexicans freak out when I do this). Another thing typical to the state, is that we use 'caldos' (broths) on EVERYTHING, including tostadas (also very common in Sinaloa), gorditas, huaraches, vampiros and flautas (also known as tacos dorados or taquitos). A typical summer snack for us is as simple as slicing up cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, carrots, avocado and radishes and then topping them off with lime, salt and hot sauce. That's usually served with quesadillas (we make ours usually with flour tortillas only, tacos with corn ones only), which one can then stuff with previously mentioned veggies. Since Sinaloa is both tropical and fertile, we do use exotic fruits such as Mango and Guanabana typical in other parts, but also Lychee, typical to Asia not Mexico. Snacks topped off with 'chamoy' are very popular (especially on cacahuates japoneses), and a variety of chamoy known as 'Chamoy de Navolato' from Sinaloa is known to be the best in Mexico. Coricos, a cookie made of corn masa, come from here. Sinaloa has a strong Asian influence, and I would argue that Sushi is just as commonplace as tacos in Culiacan, as Chinese food is in Mexicali. A simple search on 'sushi culiacan' came up with 32 restaurants within the city (Los mejores restaurantes de sushi - sushi en culiacan, sinaloa | Menuman) and that doesn't include all the hole in the wall establishments that don't publicize themselves. A Californian that's used to very authentic Japanese sushi (like myself, lol) would most likely find it off-putting as their sushi usually contains Philadelphia cream cheese. In terms of desserts, we are known for our raspados (shaved ice) that are topped with natural fruit juices (everything from lychee to peaches), as well as lechera (condensed milk) or leche quemada (burnt condensed milk).

Also, in Mazatlan hot dogs stands, are as typical as taco stands...and the hot dogs there are usually wrapped in bacon, topped off with diced tomatoes and onions. In L.A. we just call it a Mexican street dog haha

Camarones Ahogados

Chilorio

Typical 'sushi' served in Culiacan

Coricos

Cacahuates japoneses with chamoy (mixed in with cucumber, onion, topped with spicy tamarind candy)

Lychee...a fruit common in Culiacan, Sinaloa...practically unheard of by most other Mexicans.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:17 PM

OMG, totally forgot, but Machaca (dried and shredded beef) is another particularity of Sinaloa, especially Culiacan. It is usually cooked with onions, tomatoes and jalapenos and served in a taco, or just cooked with egg for breakfast in the mornings.

Machaca con huevo

Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Rudy one of my best friends is from Sinaloa and she complains that the sushi here in CA is not as fresh as back home. I've never tried it but I have heard it is good.

I love sinaloense seafood!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:44 PM

Rosa, there is a place in the city of Bell called 'Culichi Town' (maybe your friend has been there), my mom says it is pretty authentic sinaloense seafood, and they sell there Culichi style sushi. Personally, I'm not a fan of that style of sushi, but you can check it out for yourself

Old 06-07-2014, 12:23 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Rosa, there is a place in the city of Bell called 'Culichi Town' (maybe your friend has been there), my mom says it is pretty authentic sinaloense seafood, and they sell there Culichi style sushi. Personally, I'm not a fan of that style of sushi, but you can check it out for yourself
There are ALOT of culichis in Tijuana, so this is where I have tried the seafood. Alot of my friends are from Sinaloa and some cousins have married sinaloenses. Such fun outgoing people and amazing food!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
That all looks pretty good. Would like to try culichi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico