Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 12:12 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,256 times

Advertisements

My daughter went to 1st grade in Mexico for half the year and she got out at 12 pm. Her cousin who is exactly the same age, was actually very much far ahead of her at that time, not sure now as they are in 7th grade now(he may be 8th) and always wondered why this was being they are obviously getting the cores in and they have long recesses. They also had computer class and elective.

The reason I am asking is we may be going there in December and my daughter is begging me to finish 7th grade there as she misses her friends and cousins there and she is just curious I think. But still just wanted to know others thoughts on this in current time. I ask my husband but he pulls his memory loss card and just says "I don't know" Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 04:25 PM

140 posts, read 267,120 times
Here it's because they have two shifts. The kids I take to school every day go from 1PM to 7PM ..... then there is a morning shift

Late starts or middle of school year is sometimes difficult to impossible ..... at least it is here

Old 10-03-2015, 04:28 PM

317 posts, read 373,562 times
Quite different in China. I'm teaching at school where kids are there from 7:30 to 5 five days a week - plus evening English and TOEFL sunday. Maybe less kids sleeping at their desks from exhaustion in Mexico.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:09 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
When living in Mexico City a half block down the street was a school that had three different age groups using the same bldgs.

Small kids where on the sidewalk at 7:30 AM and some older kids were going home at 9 PM....NO gym or showers there.

The same usage in the states would save a lot of Tax $$$$$ and waste of open land.

The schools here in Rosarito have a shorter day schedule based upon the students getting public transportation home from my observation. Maybe it depends on the number or age group needs.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Primary and Secondary both have two shifts. Kinder is usually just mornings. Prepa (high school) has one shift from 2pm to 8pm 4 days a week

Old 10-04-2015, 10:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
My take on the differences is that both systems probably developed around different cultural aspects. As I've always understood it, US school years and hourly schedules early-on developed around agrarian needs and have remained largely the same despite society having changed after the industrial revolution. In the last 40 years many schools have adopted longer school years, shorter summers and varied 'balanced-calendar' type schedules. I assume school hours more recently continue to be related to parent 9 to 5 work schedules as well as a push for extended days due to student needs. Don't know the origin of Mexican school schedule rationale. Here's one article on the history of US schools in that regard:

http://digitalcommons.buffalostate.e...0&context=jiae

Old 10-04-2015, 11:07 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
My daughter went to 1st grade in Mexico for half the year and she got out at 12 pm. Her cousin who is exactly the same age, was actually very much far ahead of her at that time, not sure now as they are in 7th grade now(he may be 8th) and always wondered why this was being they are obviously getting the cores in and they have long recesses. They also had computer class and elective.

The reason I am asking is we may be going there in December and my daughter is begging me to finish 7th grade there as she misses her friends and cousins there and she is just curious I think. But still just wanted to know others thoughts on this in current time. I ask my husband but he pulls his memory loss card and just says "I don't know" Thanks in advance!

They also go to school on Saturday.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,256 times
Thanks everyone for all your replies!!Very interesting.

Yes, I do remember now when my daughter was in 1st grade there was a afternoon shift. She went to the morning shift though. Started at 8 a.m. then got out at 12 pm or maybe 12:30. In the "high school" which is behind my husbands house they seem to get out at 1 pm but not sure.

So that still being a few hours off I just wonder how they calculate all the cores in. I remember they were very active at the school they were always doing PE drills and did a lot of singing and had a really nice computer room that they did everyday. And even though it was a little tough for my daughter being her Spanish was so so, her peers seemed far ahead of her in math and language arts.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
I think mainly because there are few schools and is better take advantage of the facilities if used in 2 shifts: morning and evening.

Usually in Primaria and Secundaria School the first shift starts at 7:45 am and ends at 12:20 pm and the second shift starts at 12:50 pm and ends at 6:40 pm.

Although lately they have created high performing schools where the shift is continuous from 8am to 4pm.

It is noteworthy that in Mexico the physical education is reduced to games as volleyball, basketball and soccer, usually no gyms, swimming pools and showers on the premises, maybe that's why the time of each turn is enough.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
They also go to school on Saturday.
Who is they ..... never heard of school on Saturday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico