Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM

263 posts, read 234,275 times

Advertisements

How are rules/styles different from driving in the US (especially California)?

What is the typical price of mandatory Mexican third party liability insurance they add to rental?

I heard to exit 4-lane highways you need to use feeder roads. But I was in Cancun before where I drove and all I saw there were returnos. And driving on toll (cuota) highway between Chichen Itza and Cancun was very similar to driving in the US.

Any links on learning few helpful Spanish phrases for tourists, road signs, ordering food, asking price etc welcome.
While I have Rosetta Spanish, it takes time while it is fast learning. However my trip is next week and need to already know some few phrases beyond "La mujere corre"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 10:54 AM

575 posts, read 672,654 times
I suggest renting from Cactus. They give you one price with everything, including insurance. I use Thrifty outside of Mexico nut they had a $1 per day deal that was lots more than Cactus. Cactus is pretty laid back and the airport pickup was fast.

I did opt for slightly more insurance based on my own preference and risk analysis. My worry was being involved in a very common insurance scam with a Mexican driver. The gringo always loses. Or getting hit and run by some unknown person. I erred on the side of caution. Just read everything carefully on the coverage. It can make you crazy.

Check and compare prices on Expedia but go with Cactus in the end. I forget if they came up on Expedia or I went direct but I shopped prices on Expedia.

I actually backed into a parking space and there a low hanging tree that put a noticeable scratch on the trunk. No mention was made when I checked it at the end of my trip there.

You actually fly into San Jose de Los Cabos which is a 4--45 minute drive to Vabo San Lucas.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico