Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,155 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I got a couple of questions regarding getting married in Mexico. Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated! My girlfriend is Mexican (baptized, Catholic) and I am German (baptized, used to be Protestant but quit church a while ago - if needed, re-entry is possible; also becoming Catholic). We plan to get married this year and are quite excited of it.

We would get married in Mexico. It is important that it will be a civil wedding as well as a church wedding. My question with regard to the church wedding: is it possible for us to get married in a church although I am not Catholic? Is being baptized sufficient?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers
Nico
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 02:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
Best answer is to ask a local Mexican Catholic church. Often these sorts of rules are specific to a Diocese. If she has family in Mexico, maybe they could check with their local parish??

Buena suerte!

Old 03-18-2017, 07:21 PM

983 posts, read 1,633,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkiride View Post
Hi there,

I got a couple of questions regarding getting married in Mexico. Thanks in advance for your help, much appreciated! My girlfriend is Mexican (baptized, Catholic) and I am German (baptized, used to be Protestant but quit church a while ago - if needed, re-entry is possible; also becoming Catholic). We plan to get married this year and are quite excited of it.

We would get married in Mexico. It is important that it will be a civil wedding as well as a church wedding. My question with regard to the church wedding: is it possible for us to get married in a church although I am not Catholic? Is being baptized sufficient?

Cheers
Nico
No, it's not enough. They will want you to do communion and confirmation too. Where are you getting married in Mexico? There are a few parishes that expedite the whole thing for this type of situation, but other are more strict and demand the whole instruction period before the ceremony.

I also think you'll need some documents from your church in Germany, like the baptism certificate that your "local" (German) parish can provide. There is a lot of red tape!

Old 03-19-2017, 01:13 AM

107 posts, read 74,309 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Cheers
Nico

All you have to do is pay the church fee. You just pay for your baptism, confirmation communion and wedding. You can do all the same day if you want. Let’s put it like this, if you had all your catholic certificates and didn’t have money for the wedding fee, you won’t get the wedding.
dont worry you will do just fine.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:05 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,878,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
No, it's not enough. They will want you to do communion and confirmation too. Where are you getting married in Mexico? There are a few parishes that expedite the whole thing for this type of situation, but other are more strict and demand the whole instruction period before the ceremony.

I also think you'll need some documents from your church in Germany, like the baptism certificate that your "local" (German) parish can provide. There is a lot of red tape!
There are ways to do it without all that. Your girlfriend will have to do the classes and speak for you. But no communion or confirmation by you required.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:04 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
My info might be old but can only give my expirence. Depends on your ages, she needs to be a member of the parish church as we found out. We did find a very small 100 yr old church lickoutsideecico City who did the ceremony....I did have communion and I'm Protestant. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 PM

1,302 posts, read 683,289 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Cheers
Nico
yes you can, but the Priest will ask you that the only condition is that your Children must be catholics if you agree no problem with the catholic marriage if you disagree, no catholic marriage.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post

This hasn't been the practice in any Catholic marriage I've ever known about. Just pointing that out.

Nearly always it's fine as long as 1) the couple goes through the pre marriage counseling that the diocese usually offers, and 2) the non Catholic promises to raise any children as Catholic. And actually #1 isn't always required.

I have literally never heard of a Catholic priest or diocese that insisted that both parties be Catholic or for the non Catholic to go through communion and confirmation. Can you provide a link to this practice?

Quote:
8. I am Catholic but my fiancée is not. He/she has been baptized in another Church. What do we need to do to marry in the Catholic Church?

Answer: The couple has to abide by the same laws that the Catholic party has to. In addition, the Catholic party must promise to remain Catholic and do his or her best to raise their children in the Catholic faith. The marriage should take place in church, but not at a Mass. The priest or deacon who prepares the couple needs to grant permission for them to marry each other.
Frequently Asked Questions About Getting Married in the Catholic Church

Old 04-15-2017, 01:56 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This hasn't been the practice in any Catholic marriage I've ever known about. Just pointing that out.

Nearly always it's fine as long as 1) the couple goes through the pre marriage counseling that the diocese usually offers, and 2) the non Catholic promises to raise any children as Catholic. And actually #1 isn't always required.

I have literally never heard of a Catholic priest or diocese that insisted that both parties be Catholic or for the non Catholic to go through communion and confirmation. Can you provide a link to this practice?

Frequently Asked Questions About Getting Married in the Catholic Church
May not be the same in Mexico as it is in Ohio

Old 04-16-2017, 08:19 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
May not be the same in Mexico as it is in Ohio
The thing is the Church hierarchy publishes what they claim is a universal standard. But then the local Bishop interprets it differently depending upon his sect being in the vast majority or the local minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico