Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,773,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
So what? You still expect people where English isn't their native language to speak English.... in their own country!
Is it so strange? I guess your native language is English.
For most (young) people in the world, learning a foreign language (to some extent) is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,055,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I've always thought the US should press English language requirements into our free trade agreements. English should be compulsory for 4 years in any country we have free trade agreements with us. Why we haven't pressured Latin America to teach English in schools is beyond me. Travel to every other continent in the world, Europe, Asia, and Africa and it's entirely possible to get around with only English. It's always good to know some of the local languages, but almost everywhere uses English for trade and tourism.

But I've traveled around Mexico quite a bit and more and more young people do know some English, but it's not on par with even somewhere like China or Vietnam.
I've traveled in Japan a good bit and many people do not speak more than a few words of English, except in the hotels or in an international business environment. Outside of Tokyo, it can be tough. Quebec can be hit and miss outside of Montreal/Quebec City, same with France, Italy and Spain.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 PM

130,643 posts, read 12,171,594 times
get real. I would never expect a Donalds worker in a foreign country to be proficient in English. Gee, some Americans need to get over themselves.

If said worker could speak good English, she wouldn't be at mickey Dees

Old 07-19-2017, 02:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,773,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
get real. I would never expect a Donalds worker in a foreign country to be proficient in English. Gee, some Americans need to get over themselves.

If said worker could speak good English, she wouldn't be at mickey Dees
No expectation for "good" English at all. Just be able to say the items and price.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,990,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Is it so strange? I guess your native language is English.
For most (young) people in the world, learning a foreign language (to some extent) is the norm.

Yes my native language is English, but I am fluent in Spanish and French as well... speaking all three since I learned to speak... your point?

Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,932,856 times
You could say the same of the Spanish language abilities of many non-Latino Americans who live just across the American side of the border.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:43 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Quote:
No expectation for "good" English at all. Just be able to say the items and price.
Still not getting why this is an issue. And how being able to say the items and their price will be so much more beneficial than not being able to.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:44 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
You could say the same of the Spanish language abilities of many non-Latino Americans who live just across the American side of the border.
That doesn't count.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:44 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,055,148 times
Seriously, after a few days in any country it shouldn't be hard to make a basic food order or ask for the restroom. Even on the first day, hand gestures and pointing to items are pretty much universal.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:54 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
So in Mexico, you don't need to know a foreign language to graduate from college? It's impossible in any Asian country.
You don't need to be proficient in a foreign language to graduate from College in the US either. But why would a college graduate anywhere in the world work for McDonalds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico