Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 09:14 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,236,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This is about Mexico. Young Mexicans speak worse English than Chinese (who are not really very good at English). Just admit it and don't act angry.
I don´t have to admit it. You can´t say by sure all young mexicans doesn´t speak good english, I know several young mexicans educated since pre-school in private schools with very good english. My kid has 17 years old and even she has a public education speaks well english thanks to the internet and tv series on netflix, she can speaks english fluently in USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 12:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,479,259 times
Quote:
I'm in Tijuana, Mexico now. I'm surprised by the low level of English prificiency ordinary people have here, considering it's only 10 minutes away from the US border.

When I went to McDonald's to order some nuggets and fries, the service girl could not even say words like medium, large in English. And she could not repeat the price in English either. So I had to pretend and guess all the time.

When I had some trouble exiting the garage, the security guy (in early 20s) could not understand any English.

Yes there are people speaking very good English, such as the ones in my hotel. However, I wonder if English is compulsory in schools here? Or any foreign language?

It is not to blame them. Just curious.

Did you try Spanish?

Old 07-22-2017, 01:12 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,913,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
June 2015
The United States is now the world’s second largest Spanish-speaking country after Mexico, according to a new study published by the prestigious Instituto Cervantes. The report says there are 41 million native Spanish speakers in the US plus a further 11.6 million who are bilingual, mainly the children of Spanish-speaking immigrants. This puts the US ahead of Colombia (48 million) and Spain (46 million) and second only to Mexico (121 million).

The census bureau believes that USA will overtake Mexico as #1 in the next 33 years.
Many of these Spanish speakers in the USA speak horrible Spanish and I would say a big chunk of these people speak Spanglish rather than Spanish.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:46 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,608,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Many of these Spanish speakers in the USA speak horrible Spanish and I would say a big chunk of these people speak Spanglish rather than Spanish.
The Cervantes Institute is a worldwide non-profit organization created by the Spanish government in 1991. The Cervantes Institute, a government agency, is the largest organization in the world responsible for promoting the study and the teaching of Spanish language and culture.

The statistics come from Cervantes Institute, and in the raw head count they choose not to grade the quality of the Spanish.

But certainly you are correct. In a similar manner, the UK is ranked #5 by total number of English speakers, but how many English speakers in Nigeria only know pidgin?
  1. United States 251,388,301
  2. India 125,344,73
  3. Philippines 89,800,800
  4. Nigeria 79,000,000
  5. United Kingdom 59,600,000
  6. Germany 46,272,504
  7. Bangladesh 30,108,031
  8. Canada 28,360,240

Old 07-22-2017, 04:01 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,945,434 times
I have been here in Mexico for over 21yrs and from my experience has been that they don't give a damn to learn.
Once when returning from MC to Calif with a Mexican friend, we stopped at a good sized T shirt place. Two teen girls working? There spoke NO English while this was Mazatlan tourist area. Two women came in, browsed for 5mins and left empty handed....a SALE out the door.
Had these girls offered any help speaking any English or offered any help at all a SALE would have been made ...ring a bell anyone?
Most workers just take up space and wonder why they get low pay.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:56 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,285,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
English is not the only second or international language.
Yes, French is considered to be an "international"language too.
Just watch an opening or closing Olympic Ceremony
Though I think it is waning and english now dominating more and more
as THE international language. One example would here on C-D....all of us,
including Acajack ,communicating in anglais.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:58 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,286,462 times
Default Meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
June 2015
The United States is now the world’s second largest Spanish-speaking country after Mexico, according to a new study published by the prestigious Instituto Cervantes. The report says there are 41 million native Spanish speakers in the US plus a further 11.6 million who are bilingual, mainly the children of Spanish-speaking immigrants. This puts the US ahead of Colombia (48 million) and Spain (46 million) and second only to Mexico (121 million).

The census bureau believes that USA will overtake Mexico as #1 in the next 33 years.
Those were pre-Trump era stats. Check again in 2021, or 2025, I think they will change somewhat.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,205,937 times
There are several factors to consider. I haven't been to Mexico myself, but most Mexicans I met could speak English well (after taking their educational levels into consideration). I still think Mexicans speak better English that the Chinese or Vietnamese.

I believe the misconception is because in China, getting a part-time job at McDonald's is a respectable way of earning extra income for college students and also a place where foreigners often visit that one can practice their English. This may not hold true in all countries. In some countries, there are far fewer students looking for such jobs, and there are many better paying part-time jobs where one can practice their English. In a lot of other countries, the English proficiency of McDonald's employees might be even be below par compared to the general populace, but the reverse is true in China.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,770,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
There are several factors to consider. I haven't been to Mexico myself, but most Mexicans I met could speak English well (after taking their educational levels into consideration). I still think Mexicans speak better English that the Chinese or Vietnamese.

I believe the misconception is because in China, getting a part-time job at McDonald's is a respectable way of earning extra income for college students and also a place where foreigners often visit that one can practice their English. This may not hold true in all countries. In some countries, there are far fewer students looking for such jobs, and there are many better paying part-time jobs where one can practice their English. In a lot of other countries, the English proficiency of McDonald's employees might be even be below par compared to the general populace, but the reverse is true in China.
Obviously I'm not talking about Mexicans or Chinese in America.

McDonald's is just an example. I have said many times all Chinese students are required to learn English from grade 7 to grade 12. I heard they start at grade 3 now but I'm not sure.
Typically, college students must pass an English exam to graduate too. From the posts I saw here, Mexican schools do not require it.

If you just go to Mexico, you will find many young people speak next to zero English. They do not even say "yes" but only "si" when I speak pure English and make gestures to them. This shows there is zero efforts in "code switching".

Old 07-23-2017, 03:50 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,205,937 times
Quote:
Obviously I'm not talking about Mexicans or Chinese in America.

McDonald's is just an example. I have said many times all Chinese students are required to learn English from grade 7 to grade 12. I heard they start at grade 3 now but I'm not sure.
Typically, college students must pass an English exam to graduate too. From the posts I saw here, Mexican schools do not require it.

If you just go to Mexico, you will find many young people speak next to zero English. They do not even say "yes" but only "si" when I speak pure English and make gestures to them. This shows there is zero efforts in "code switching".
I understand what you mean. But the English requirement in China means little to most tourists there. I frequently go to China but I can speak Mandarin Chinese. I have many times traveled with people who cannot speak Chinese there and I know how difficult it can be. I even have problems with English proficiency with some places in Hong Kong, where English is still an official language. I know that English is a required subject as well in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam. I also frequent these countries, and still very far from impressed with English proficiency of the general populace in any of them.

No effort in code switching sometimes does not mean they don't speak any English. It's just that they want you to switch to their language or make some effort. I've encountered it in France, Italy and even Montreal! Even in Malaysia. The Malay saleslady probably thought I was Malaysian Chinese, which I am not, and she answered me in Malay when I spoke to her in English. I misunderstood her answer as saying what am looking for is not available, when in fact, it is. I left and it is only I realized that she said "yes" after checking basic Malay phrases at the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico