Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 03:53 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
My real question is why many young Mexicans speak no English, especially when they live near the US border.

English class is compulsory in China, and you need to pass exams to graduate from high school and college, so I wonder what the policy is in Mexico.

I understand there are always bad students whatever the schools teach. But having some requirements makes a difference.
Yah. See Mexico launches effort to teach its students English - Houston Chronicle

"Currently, English is mandatory in all Mexican schools from seventh through ninth grade, although many private schools start as early as preschool. The result is a growing divide between rich and poor.

"Educators hope that by giving all Mexican students access to basic English, they will not only even out the playing field, they will also boost Mexico’s economy."

(My emphasis. From the Houston Chronicle, Feb. 2009 - more @ the URL)

You can track this info - I'm not sure if Mexico was able to implement @ the level they wanted to, due to the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 04:05 PM

Default More than very few, 3 times the nearest other foreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Same reason when you cross the border into the US very few people are proficient in Spanish
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langua..._United_States

"In addition to Spanish-speaking Hispanic populations, younger generations of non-Hispanics in the United States seem to be learning Spanish in larger numbers due to the growing Hispanic population and increasing popularity of Latin American movies and music performed in the Spanish language. A 2009 American Community Survey conducted by the United States Census Bureau, showed that Spanish is the primary language spoken at home by over 35 million people aged 5 or older,[35] making the United States the world's fifth-largest Spanish-speaking community, outnumbered only by Mexico, Colombia, Spain, and Argentina.[36][37]"

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

The same source puts English @ 80% of the US population speaking it, & 12.4% speaking Spanish. So roughly 1 in 8 people in the US speak Spanish - although proficiency isn't addressed in the Wikipedia article.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Default Comparative numbers of speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack
Spanish definitely is.

Quote:
Compared to English, not, by far.
Yah. There are actually more Spanish native speakers than English - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ative_speakers

Given that Spanish can be a portal to Italian, French, Portuguese, Romanian, Latin, etc., I would expect Spanish to gain momentum over the years, as compared to English.

Or see (this one copies better than the other)

Top 30 Languages by Number of Native Speakers
Data source: Ethnologue: Languages of the World, 15th ed. (2005) & Wikipedia.org.

Language
approximate # of speakers
Where is it spoken as an official language?
Mandarin Chinese
NATIVE: 873 million
2nd: 178 million
TOTAL: 1.051 billion
OFFICIAL: People's Republic of China, Republic of China, Singapore

Hindi
NATIVE: 370 million
2nd:120 million
TOTAL: 490 million
OFFICIAL: India, Fiji

Spanish
NATIVE: 350 million
2nd: 70 million
TOTAL: 420 million
OFFICIAL: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Spain, United States (New Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Venezuela

English
NATIVE: 340 million
TOTAL: 510 million
OFFICIAL: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Dominica, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong (People's Republic of China), India, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Maldives, Malta, Marshall Islands, Maritius, Micronesia, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevs, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somolia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Vanuatu, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:01 PM

Default So far from God ...

Quote:
English is not just "some foreign language". It is mandatory or near-mandatory in the educational system in many countries in the world.

Needless to say Mexico is a neighbor of the US and thus I would assume young people here are highly motivated to learn English. However it is not the case. I do not want to judge whether it is good or bad, but I feel it is weird.
There's a lot of ambivalence on both sides between the US & Mexico. It goes back to the history of the two countries, the relationships between their sponsoring empires, how the Americas gained their independence, & how the relationships between US & Mexico played out after that. It's been a very bumpy road, the US has invaded Mexico a couple of times, marched into Mexico City, & so on. Florida, Louisiana, the now Southwest US were all part of either Spanish or French claims in the New World.

The US briefly considered annexing Mexico outright @ the end of the Mexican American War - but Congress finally decided that the demographics would be very difficult, & let go of the idea.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Most Mexicans that are fluent in English are going to be in one of three categories.

a) they in areas that either have a lot of tourist/expats living there (ie Cancun, Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, etc)
b) have lived/worked in the US before
c) They are involved in jobs that require some knowledge of English such as international trade/finance, hospitality, etc.

Anyways I find the OP's rant to be hilarious since I would wager that there are more Mexicans who are fluent or have at least some knowledge of English than there are in China and Japan.
And I've explained to him/her a few times that those who live in TJ who are good English speakers work across the border in San Diego. Maybe that was them who cowardly responded with an anonymous reply as a reputation comment. Either way, the OP has avoided taking note of that. I think they just want to rant about Mexicans.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And I've explained to him/her a few times that those who live in TJ who are good English speakers work across the border in San Diego. Maybe that was them who cowardly responded with an anonymous reply as a reputation comment. Either way, the OP has avoided taking note of that. I think they just want to rant about Mexicans.
I have said many times that I talked to local people in TJ and quite a few young people I talked to spoke next to zero English, which was a surprise to me. Why can't you just understand it?

Old 07-27-2017, 05:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack
Spanish definitely is.

Yah. There are actually more Spanish native speakers than English - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ative_speakers

Given that Spanish can be a portal to Italian, French, Portuguese, Romanian, Latin, etc., I would expect Spanish to gain momentum over the years, as compared to English.

Or see (this one copies better than the other)

Top 30 Languages by Number of Native Speakers
Data source: Ethnologue: Languages of the World, 15th ed. (2005) & Wikipedia.org.

Language
approximate # of speakers
Where is it spoken as an official language?
Mandarin Chinese
NATIVE: 873 million
2nd: 178 million
TOTAL: 1.051 billion
OFFICIAL: People's Republic of China, Republic of China, Singapore

Hindi
NATIVE: 370 million
2nd:120 million
TOTAL: 490 million
OFFICIAL: India, Fiji

Spanish
NATIVE: 350 million
2nd: 70 million
TOTAL: 420 million
OFFICIAL: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Spain, United States (New Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Venezuela

English
NATIVE: 340 million
TOTAL: 510 million
OFFICIAL: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cameroon, Canada, Dominica, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong (People's Republic of China), India, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Maldives, Malta, Marshall Islands, Maritius, Micronesia, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevs, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somolia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Vanuatu, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

That post was talking about second language, not native language. Read back.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,819 times
Quote:
I have said many times that I talked to local people in TJ and quite a few young people I talked to spoke next to zero English, which was a surprise to me. Why can't you just understand it?
Tijuana is a center of migration to the United States. Not all the people you find in TJ is original from there, many are just there waiting to pass to USA, many are not even mexican but central american, haitians, or from some other part of the world.

If you expect all speak english to you, then you´re wrong. Speak other language is an option not an obligation.

Also why speak english if the majority of the people on the other side of the border in USA speak spanish?

Old 07-27-2017, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 3,330 times
Probably the same reason why so many few Americans can't speak basic Spanish

Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
So because YOU personally couldn't find any English speakers, you're just going to say that there are none? LOL Maybe they just didn't want to talk to you. I live in San Diego and have spent more time in TJ than you ever will. There are plenty of English speakers there and as I've already told you, many of them work on the US side of the border, why can't you just understand that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico