Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:56 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th....690181/page-5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Thanks for sharing ATP, this is sad news for those.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Sad, RIP poor expats.

I still think the drive from TJ to Ensenda is safe is one takes the toll road during day light hours.

At least I hope it is because I am planning on driving there soon.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:29 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Sad, RIP poor expats.

I still think the drive from TJ to Ensenda is safe is one takes the toll road during day light hours.

At least I hope it is because I am planning on driving there soon.
I would highly recommend against doing that. Its' too risky.
We have a friend (Mexican lady) who told us just last week about one of her cousins who was traveling with her husband and kids from TJ to Guadalajara by car. They were ambushed by guys who it was unclear whether they were police or an armed gang. They robbed them and shot and killed the husband.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I don't recommend driving between cities in Mexico whatsoever.

Most of my friends who are either Chicano or Mexican living here stopped driving within Mexico some years back due to the danger.

Not worth it. Fly directly to your destination.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:13 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
We have a friend (Mexican lady) who told us just last week about one of her cousins who was traveling with her husband and kids from TJ to Guadalajara by car. They were ambushed by guys who it was unclear whether they were police or an armed gang. They robbed them and shot and killed the husband.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I don't recommend driving between cities in Mexico whatsoever.

Most of my friends who are either Chicano or Mexican living here stopped driving within Mexico some years back due to the danger.

Is this Tijuana to Guadalajara? Just making sure because that drive seems dangerous and through some very sketchy states! Theres do not visit/travel warnings for some of them.

With that, it worries me a little because I've been traveling on bus from nuevo Laredo to Monterey a bunch lately. Pretty chill so far, I think one just needs to be aware of routes/time they travel and areas they are going through as some parts can be really dangerous or fairly safe.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Is this Tijuana to Guadalajara?
Yes, Tijuana to Guadalajara.
Quote:
With that, it worries me a little because I've been traveling on bus from nuevo Laredo to Monterey a bunch lately.
That is not a safe area either. Lot of gangs. Lot of bandits. I personally wouldn't do it.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:59 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,083 times
Quote:
Yes, Tijuana to Guadalajara.

That is not a safe area either. Lot of gangs. Lot of bandits. I personally wouldn't do it.

for sure, agree. I feel uneasy when in nuevo Laredo and also driving a few hours leaving the crime ridden state of Tamaulipas into nuevo leon. I feel a little better once getting into mty. its always on bus though between 10am-6pm.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:

Link to news story?

Old 08-14-2018, 12:09 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:

TJ to Guadalajara is not comparable at all to TJ to Ensenada in a safety and security sense.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:03 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I posted in another thread about safety in Mexico, however an exception I would certainly make would be driving. I would not do it. I think it would be cool to start in San Diego and go up to Vancouver/Whistler over a few weeks, with maybe the first day going to Tijuana, but I would do so on a guided excursion.

80s Keys: That said, one place I WOULD think about it would be the Yucatan. I very much want to spend a few days in Merida at some point in time. Hitting Mayan sites, enjoying the colonial city as well as maybe places like Izamal and Campeche, hitting the pink lake biosphere and maybe a couple cenotes, etc. The reason I would consider it there is that I'm not sure if tours go to all of those places I mention. Direct flights into Merida seem very spotty and expensive and indirect. So I'd consider flying into Cancun and taking a bus, but still seems more inconvenient than getting around independently. What do you think?

I agree it's sad especially that the route from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey is not safe. Monterrey is a place that looks like it has touristic potential in droves. More urban/historic character than most US cities, and more natural beauty than maybe all. Even as someone who plans summer trips, the idea of getting up in the morning in Houston and being to Monterrey by car by midday sounds awesome. Hopefully it gets safer one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico