Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 AM

440 posts, read 329,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nine executions, an attack with dynamite, gagged bodies and street gunfire aimed at a prison guard have so far been the response to "Joint Operation Chihuahua." Chihuahua has now reached 235 homicides linked to organized crime during 2008.

Mexico Attorney General Blames Own Citizens for Criminality*-*borderfirereport.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 09:42 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,855 times
Moving thread to Mexico forum. This is not an immigration issue.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 PM

334 posts, read 827,965 times
This is just the good cops, bad cops and narcos that has been a continuing "battle". Just what the USA wants, right? (Oh my God, it may disrupt my source and cost me more!) Not me, never touched the stuff, but you know who . . .

Old 04-06-2008, 03:03 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Well that sounds promising, at least they are getting closer to the truth.

It's not just the Mexican police as some like to believe because those police didn't just fall out of the sky. They came from the Mexican society, they take the bribes the people offer. People there believe mordida is just how things are done, they accept corruption, they all participate in it.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 AM

291 posts, read 648,449 times
please don't generalize, not all of us fall in the corruption.

Regards...

Old 04-07-2008, 04:15 PM

27 posts, read 90,108 times
Yes, but I lost count how many times I was stopped for traffic offenses and was told that "we could take care of that fine right now" rather than go to court and pay the fine

Even to the point of arguing with a cop one time when I simply said give me the fine, he argued with me how much more expensive the fine would be if I paid it to the court rather than "pay" it to him!

Not everyone believes in the mordidas but a good part of the public officials do.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 PM

334 posts, read 827,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1017 View Post
Yes, but I lost count how many times I was stopped for traffic offenses and was told that "we could take care of that fine right now" rather than go to court and pay the fine

Not everyone believes in the mordidas but a good part of the public officials do.
Kinda reckless, eh?

Bribery in Mexico is ILLEGAL, and you can go to jail for it. A "typical" situation is where a cop will offer to pay your fine for you, saving you the trip to the police station. He's not actually asking for a bribe, and he might even pay the fine . If you give him $$$ you're foolish and only contributing to a problem that is almost gone.

Wanna go fast? OK, but go to the police station to pay your fines, not to the cop (an exception is some cops have, and more are getting, wireless machines that can take your credit card and issue you a receipt, right there!).

The problem are the gringos who believe they have to pay bribes and simply offer one without thinking, keeping cash set aside for this purpose. It's understandably difficult for a police officer, although well paid today, to resist the cash. And, if honest, he COULD take it and pay your fine with it, keeping the balance as his "tip".

Old 04-07-2008, 04:36 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Living in Mexico City, I was hassled by the cops all the time. I was not doing anything wrong as it was the Calif. plates on my truck. I was married to a Mexican National and was contenplateing residency on a permanent basis and travelled back and forth every 90 days. I would pay them their MORDIDA to the point where I finally got tired and asked to be taken to the US Embassy (I knew where it was as I had been there one time). I knew that I was innocent of their charges as they only wanted the money. They did not want to bother with the paperwork and try to prove their charges and would always let me go. Of course besides I had a ACE hole card. My wife was a Senior Executive in a Govmt owned Co. and this also held a little clout. Bottom line for anyone driving in Mexico, If YOU ARE "POSITIVE" THAT YOU DID NOT COMMIT ANY VIOLATION, ask for the nearest Embassy and don't cowtown to them. Stefhen

Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antgar View Post
please don't generalize, not all of us fall in the corruption.

Regards...
Well -- there probably are some people who never in their whole lives paid a mordida of any kind anywhere. Not to the aduana, never to a cop, never handed money of any kind to get the wheels greased in any way. Most of the people I know from or in Mexico will say they have.

One time my American-chicano friends and I were traveling by bus into Mexico and the agents mistook them for Mexicans and began to hassle over things they had in their suitcases but since they weren't from Mexico and didn't know the system they were confused over what was being asked, until one agent saw this and just brushed them through, telling the others just to forget it.

Mexicans going back for Christmas say they still end up having to pay agents to bring in electronic goods and other items, so much that sometimes it makes it not worth it since for the additional cost of the bribe takes away the advantage of buying something here and bringing it in.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 AM

291 posts, read 648,449 times
The point is that there is not necessity to bribe anyone.

If you are certain that you didn't make nothing wrong, you sign the ticket under protest, then you go to the governorship office and you expose your case, most of the times you win.

But, If you made an infraction, you have to pay the ticket, mostly of the cases the ticket are expensives, more than the bribe, it's right.

If you bring smuggling of electronics that you bring to Mexico and exceed the franchise, you have the option of paying the 15% of the value to pass them without problems, but so many thinks is easy to pass electronics without declaring and they can abide that the official request them a bribe.

It's not difficult to act legaly, and this is a Mexican citizen that tells it to you, that never had bribed anybody. If we continue thinking that if all bribe it's ok, then we will never progress.

Regards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico