Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 12:18 PM

42 posts, read 48,678 times

Advertisements

finally i posted into the right section...i am on my way to move to tijuana at the end of september.....i am from iowa actually border of illinois....when it comes down to the my license plates am i ok with iowa plates...i hear it doesnt matter as long as they are not expired....and i hear people even have south dakota plates LOL....how are you people doing this..with the car tag....are you going for california plates....i called the dmv in san diego they said i can register my car in cali being from out of state just need insurance....is this a good option? or just stick with my iowa plates and keep it moving.....

i have spoken to a few people over the months about this move..some that have done it some that use to do it....i really wish i had good advice...with all of this...i will be living with a woman in mexico....and plan to work in san diego or chula vista national city or somewhere closest to border....what are the issues anybody has encountered with this lifestyle besides the LINE.....

with a job i know i need a private mail box it seems...that is what people are doing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 04:18 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Here we go again. You posted the same question in the San Diego section, and got your answers. You may PLAN to work somewhere close to the border, but don't get your hope up to do so. Like I said in an earlier post, for the types of jobs that you're looking for, preference is given to those who speak Spanish.

Also, have you applied for a Sentri pass yet?

Here's an example:

I lived in Tijuana and commuted to San Diego for a year, with and without a Sentri pass.
Without the Sentri pass, I was in line anywhere from 2-4 hours.
With the Sentri pass, I was in line no more than 30 minutes.
I had (and still have) a private mailbox in San Diego.
I had (and still have) California plates on my van.
If you plan to work in CA, it's MANDATORY that you have US and Mexican insurance on your car.
Read this about registering your car in CA from out of state. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...htvr09#feesdue

Last edited by moved; 08-10-2019 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-10-2019, 05:05 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
When in business ( ventura) worked on a car with Colorado plates..
He got snagged by a sheriff who noticed his obvious color same time every day. Going to work?
Calif requires any outstate vehicle to be registered here if your working in Calif.
DMV allows a PO address
I am retired in Rosarito with Calif plates, US banking etc.
You can live in TJ with a few thousand Americans that cross into SD during the week...tons of Calif plates in line.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Lol texas didn't even care of my out of state plates and I was living there for a year Lol not one pull over ��

Old 08-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Here we go again. You posted the same question in the San Diego section, and got your answers. You may PLAN to work somewhere close to the border, but don't get your hope up to do so. Like I said in an earlier post, for the types of jobs that you're looking for, preference is given to those who speak Spanish.

Also, have you applied for a Sentri pass yet?

Here's an example:

I lived in Tijuana and commuted to San Diego for a year, with and without a Sentri pass.
Without the Sentri pass, I was in line anywhere from 2-4 hours.
With the Sentri pass, I was in line no more than 30 minutes.
I had (and still have) a private mailbox in San Diego.
I had (and still have) California plates on my van.
If you plan to work in CA, it's MANDATORY that you have US and Mexican insurance on your car.
Read this about registering your car in CA from out of state. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...htvr09#feesdue

But I'm getting MULTIPLE answers that contradict sir ...i spoke to people who DO NOT HAVE CALI PLATES and have south dakota ....so where is my answer .....dude .....do I need cali plates or not ....and jobs are from customer service,cashier,general labor,cleaning,kitchen ....ill do anything to be honest I'm a worker

Old 08-11-2019, 12:08 PM

I think i get this so this is how it should be done

Get p.o box
Get car insurance maybe California independent company
Register car in California

Before i get a job ???

Please tell me if this is correct or not

Or get a job on iowa plates and make it a priority to switch to cali asap ...

Old 08-11-2019, 01:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert14x View Post
Lol texas didn't even care of my out of state plates and I was living there for a year Lol not one pull over ��
That's Texas, California wants their money. And like I said in another post, it's mandatory that you carry both California and Mexican insurance on your car.

But if you read this, your questions will be answered. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...ewtoca/newtoca

Last edited by moved; 08-11-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 01:28 PM

But why are people using south dakota plates and living in tj working in California

Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
OK, your in TJ and looking for a job in SD area driving an out of state car still a Tourist.
Apply at PO for a mailbox. Fill out change of address form etc.
San Ysidro just added a bunch of sm boxes due to a demand.
Now with s current mailing address and a new job go to DMV office at 3rd St end.
DMV will issue new registration/title for Calif within 90 days mailed to your new PO box.
Few months ago bought a car and went thru their routine etc. They are super busy.
You have to also get s Calif drivers license same time...
2 to 3 hrs down time.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:23 PM

Okay appreciate it that is exactly what I will do ...have you heard of the virtual mailboxes or private mail boxes what the difference ...is a regular...p.o good enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico