Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 07:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times

Advertisements

Safe to live in Mexico can be a scrap shoot depending where your staying( living).

Look at todays news on the past weekend.
I have walked down many streehe in MC and was never given a 2nd look while here in TJ another thing.
In Jan in TJ coming home at night was pulled over by their finest and had some money taken while searching my car.
Could of been worse....my error.
My pet peeve has been burglarized of my home and valuable documents stolen..ID theft used.
Never but NEVER bring any major ID other then the basic needs...trust me on that one.
Pays to hav a trusted Mexican friend be it a Male or Female...I had both in MC.

Had the same here, Mexicans and American Vets.
Sorry to day that they were younger them me and have passed on and now I am lonely.
Who wants to be friends with an golf frat (89).
Wish I were young again..those young girls at the cantons in MC were nice company...lot better then what's local.

Pista Bacsi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 04:47 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Safe to live in Mexico can be a scrap shoot depending where your staying( living).

Look at todays news on the past weekend.
I have walked down many streehe in MC and was never given a 2nd look while here in TJ another thing.
In Jan in TJ coming home at night was pulled over by their finest and had some money taken while searching my car.
Could of been worse....my error.
My pet peeve has been burglarized of my home and valuable documents stolen..ID theft used.
Never but NEVER bring any major ID other then the basic needs...trust me on that one.
Pays to hav a trusted Mexican friend be it a Male or Female...I had both in MC.

Had the same here, Mexicans and American Vets.
Sorry to day that they were younger them me and have passed on and now I am lonely.
Wish I were young again..those young girls at the cantons in MC were nice company...lot better then what's local.

Pista Bacsi

I have a question, I'm interested in a long-term vacation in Baja Sur and possibly retiring or seasonal living in Baja Sur. So my question is how safe is it to drive from Phoenix all the way down to Los Cabos in your opinion? Also, I have a Ram 3500 dually so my other question is would that vehicle be a problem for the road sizes or stand out to potentially make me a target?

I look at the yearly homicide stats in Mexican states and your state is quite high while Baja Sur is quite low so the other question is whether or not you believe it's safe for Americans in TJ and Mexicali? I've heard they target other drug running gangs so the danger to Americans is not that high.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:03 PM

Had to think a bit on the questions asked.
Has been a while since I drove down to Cab.
Ever see a bus or 22 wheeler with their outside rear tires in midair when passing another will answer that question.
Best for someone else that has driven the route with more update then what I had in the past.
Best to drive in day time.
Not sure of MPG in your Ram.
Gas up at Ensenada ,Guerra Negri before crossing 125 mile to Santa Rosalia. Next would be CD Constitucion then LA Pax.
From there the Cortez route or the Pacific route via Todos Santos then Cano.
I have been both ways and like the latter the best for scenic.
Just my past insight.
As for time limits believe the 180 day still exits with the Visa
Join the 1000' s that live full or part time in Baja.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Had to think a bit on the questions asked.
Has been a while since I drove down to Cab.
Ever see a bus or 22 wheeler with their outside rear tires in midair when passing another will answer that question.
Best for someone else that has driven the route with more update then what I had in the past.
Best to drive in day time.
Not sure of MPG in your Ram.
Gas up at Ensenada ,Guerra Negri before crossing 125 mile to Santa Rosalia. Next would be CD Constitucion then LA Pax.
From there the Cortez route or the Pacific route via Todos Santos then Cano.
I have been both ways and like the latter the best for scenic.
Just my past insight.
As for time limits believe the 180 day still exits with the Visa
Join the 1000' s that live full or part time in Baja.
I am interested in part time living in Baja Sur most likely in San Jose del Cabo or possibly Todos Santos. My Ram has a 50 gallon tank and averages about 18 on the highway so I can easily go 750 miles before needing to fill up. My sister is in Cabo right now so I'll get her report from the southern front.

Thanks for taking the time to think about and respond to my questions! I've seen your posts from many years ago so I know you've been living in Baja Norte for awhile now.

Cheers Y Salud

Last edited by Tall Traveler; 04-15-2021 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-15-2021, 08:14 PM

Good MPG on a truck that big.
Lot of Hotels between San Jose del Cabo for the short 20 miles to Cano.
Taxi from airport was $50 to Cabo.
Hotels wood have a large van to pick up those with a pre reservation...saved that taxi charge.
I once paid a Mexican $20 to drop me off at a friend's place.
( helped to pay for his rental VW at the airport. Such were the days back then.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:33 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Hate to hear that. Been some time since I've been on this forum. Glad to see you still around. Wish I was good at golf. I'm BAD. So bad I gave up years ago. lol You're in TJ now?

Old 04-23-2021, 06:58 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
We heard a big cartel shootout the other day, at first I thought it was some sort of construction equipment then realized it was a gunfight. I wandered over to check out what was going on, there were a dozen cop trucks parked a few blocks away and soldiers from La Guardia Nacional were arriving.

Apparently our hometown cartel was using a house there and some neighbors called the police for suspicious activity. Cops ended up killing four of them, detaining about 30 more, and freeing six people. Nice neighborhood too, we walk by that house every morning.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We heard a big cartel shootout the other day, at first I thought it was some sort of construction equipment then realized it was a gunfight. I wandered over to check out what was going on, there were a dozen cop trucks parked a few blocks away and soldiers from La Guardia Nacional were arriving.

Apparently our hometown cartel was using a house there and some neighbors called the police for suspicious activity. Cops ended up killing four of them, detaining about 30 more, and freeing six people. Nice neighborhood too, we walk by that house every morning.
So I can see the stats on homicide and even in Jalisco state the murder rate is quite high but I've heard that most of the killing involves gang fights over territory? SO if that's true, how safe for the average citizen not involved in the cartels and expats there in Guadalajara? I've watched several youtube videos on Guadalajara and it seems very nice from what I can tell.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:55 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Well terms like "very safe" are quite subjective so hard to answer, but I would agree that someone not involved in cartels is not likely to get caught up in cartel violence. Guadalajara is very nice, we walk around here all the time without concern, with usual Latin America precautions of careful with cell phone near passing traffic, don't wander around late at night on empty streets, etc. The shootout we heard was pretty big news here so it's not like an everyday thing, we've only heard gunshots one other time in Mexico if you don't count when Mexico beat Germany in the world cup a couple years ago.

There are neighborhoods in GDL I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around in much but they are mostly on the outskirts and I'd have no reason to be there anyway. Actually Oblatos is just east of downtown and that is pretty sketch, but again no reason for me to be there either.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:02 AM

536 posts, read 610,700 times
Don't go looking for trouble and you should be fine.

I lived in Monterrey for a year and travelled around Neuvo Leon, Jalisco, Quninta Roo, Yucatan and Nayarit. For the most part, I felt safer living in Mexico than I did in large cities in the US.

Rent is cheap in Mexico. Rent a place with building security or a place that is gated and that limits any possible issues a lot.

Again, stay out of trouble, rent a place with some kind of security and there really shouldn't be any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico