Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 03:36 AM

451 posts, read 424,532 times

Advertisements

I'm turning 68 Friday in Costa rica. Been here many years. Not planning to move back. I have state run health care free and it's not bad. Also pay for Medicare and can use that in the states when needed. Have us drivers license and residency.

Frankly my advice for anyone is if you really want to or need to ditch the US then go someplace close to the border. Or with flights available.

Ensenada as mentioned good idea or even tijuana. Over 70 and solo too is asking for potential issues.

Try maybe for senior subsidized housing up there.

Here at least 50% of folks return after 3-5 years.

Best of luck to you no matter where you end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 08:38 AM

277 posts, read 430,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
I'm turning 68 Friday in Costa rica. Been here many years. Not planning to move back. I have state run health care free and it's not bad. Also pay for Medicare and can use that in the states when needed. Have us drivers license and residency.

Frankly my advice for anyone is if you really want to or need to ditch the US then go someplace close to the border. Or with flights available.
Ensenada as mentioned good idea or even tijuana. Over 70 and solo too is asking for potential issues.
Try maybe for senior subsidized housing up there.
Here at least 50% of folks return after 3-5 years.
Best of luck to you no matter where you end up.
Thank you.
No subsidized housing here; all closed.
No waiting list. Nada.

You would not believe how many people have
their RVs parked on Forest Service or BLM land.
I have an electric, water and seeer hookups.

There are thousands of people living on the street in
downtown Phoenix and the temperatures reach 122°F here in the summer.
The US is in really bad shape.

There is no way I can live without water and electric. I cook everything
from scratch. My creative outlet. Something good will cross my path.

Thank you for the information. Do you happen to know why people move back to the United States?
Perhaps they have children here ….

Old 01-07-2024, 07:30 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,894,760 times
To be honest with you OP, better do some real research and soul searching before you make a decision. When people talk about how much further their money goes in Mexico there is a lot of truth to it. They are living better lifestyles than they would in the US. But they have some money, they aren't almost subsistence level as you appear at. They can afford to go out to eat, go out for a night on the town, do social activities for less. Those things all cost much less in Mexico. However if you are at a level you just want to survive, I don't think you'll get all you are hoping for. You are going to trade one lonely survivor life for another. Some things might cost less and make you feel like you have gotten your chin a little above the bar but that's it. This is why people suggest housing services and other forms of aid such as food banks and public health. They aren't perfect but they serve their purpose. You won't get such aid in Mexico.

As for why people move back children or grandchildren are important, but also as mentioned health care costs eventually are too much of a burden without Medicare or state paid care. You can't get health insurance past a certain age so if you start having problems you're going to end up back in the US.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
To be honest with you OP, better do some real research and soul searching before you make a decision. When people talk about how much further their money goes in Mexico there is a lot of truth to it. They are living better lifestyles than they would in the US. But they have some money, they aren't almost subsistence level as you appear at. They can afford to go out to eat, go out for a night on the town, do social activities for less. Those things all cost much less in Mexico. However if you are at a level you just want to survive, I don't think you'll get all you are hoping for. You are going to trade one lonely survivor life for another. Some things might cost less and make you feel like you have gotten your chin a little above the bar but that's it. This is why people suggest housing services and other forms of aid such as food banks and public health. They aren't perfect but they serve their purpose. You won't get such aid in Mexico.

As for why people move back children or grandchildren are important, but also as mentioned health care costs eventually are too much of a burden without Medicare or state paid care. You can't get health insurance past a certain age so if you start having problems you're going to end up back in the US.
Thank you !

Old 01-07-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You seem to be in a tough spot financially, I think the original suggestion of Ensenada is a great one for your situation, basically the same climate as San Diego, close to the US border, and much less expensive than the USA.

Chile is a much safer country than Mexico statistically but it's a bit more expensive as well to live there and much further and difficult to travel to compared to Mexico. Plus I think more difficult than Mexico for emigration.
Thank you !

Old 01-07-2024, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
To be honest with you OP, better do some real research and soul searching before you make a decision. When people talk about how much further their money goes in Mexico there is a lot of truth to it. They are living better lifestyles than they would in the US. But they have some money, they aren't almost subsistence level as you appear at. They can afford to go out to eat, go out for a night on the town, do social activities for less. Those things all cost much less in Mexico. However if you are at a level you just want to survive, I don't think you'll get all you are hoping for. .
The RV space fees are now $800 - $1200 a month. Last year I knew someone living near LaPaz paying $300 for her apartment. She was telling what she paid for a few items. I cannot imagine it cost as much to live in Mexico as the US. The apartments in Phoenix under $1200 or $1600 are not really fit to live in. In three years I’ve put almost $8,000 in repairs into my RV and I have other things to do. An apartment or casita in Mexico would probably not cost me that much. Hard to imagine. Everything is spread out here and people need a car for the most part.

I was hoping to find some place that had a vegetable market and perhaps down the street a butcher or something like that rather than the commercial box stores that we find in a lot of places here in AZ. Something more laid back and less commercial.

As far as medical I use Traditional Chinese Medicine. I don’t take pharmaceuticals . I noticed in Aguascalientes they have a large percentage of Japanese due to the Nissan plant there. So I’m sure I can find acupuncture if I look for it.

My husband and I talked about this 15 years ago then he got sick and died. I’m still doing research. I’m not one to make impulsive decisions. Just trying to find out what ex pats know. Thank you.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:19 AM

30,404 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCat View Post
The RV space fees are now $800 - $1200 a month. Last year I knew someone living near LaPaz paying $300 for her apartment. She was telling what she paid for a few items. I cannot imagine it cost as much to live in Mexico as the US. The apartments in Phoenix under $1200 or $1600 are not really fit to live in. In three years I’ve put almost $8,000 in repairs into my RV and I have other things to do. An apartment or casita in Mexico would probably not cost me that much. Hard to imagine. Everything is spread out here and people need a car for the most part.

I was hoping to find some place that had a vegetable market and perhaps down the street a butcher or something like that rather than the commercial box stores that we find in a lot of places here in AZ. Something more laid back and less commercial.

As far as medical I use Traditional Chinese Medicine. I don’t take pharmaceuticals . I noticed in Aguascalientes they have a large percentage of Japanese due to the Nissan plant there. So I’m sure I can find acupuncture if I look for it.

My husband and I talked about this 15 years ago then he got sick and died. I’m still doing research. I’m not one to make impulsive decisions. Just trying to find out what ex pats know. Thank you.
I would have suggested La Paz but you mentioned cool so that takes out La Paz I think but it's otherwise a nice location. I had forgotten Aguacalientes but in my previous research, it looks great in terms of climate, safety, cost etc. According to the cost of living calculator I like, the cost of living in Aguacalientes would be 37% of how much it costs in Phoenix.

According to the cost calculator I used, fresh veggies are significantly cheaper but meats are pretty similar cost at the markets. As others have noted, at restaurants is where you will see a huge savings compared to the USA restaurants.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I would second Ensenada, San Diego climate at 30% of the cost, safe, close to the US and Phoenix. Great comment on the Peso strength and cost of living in Mexico but it's still overall much cheaper even if the savings aren't as great as they were a few years ago.

Just to throw out some high elevation options, I like Puebla, Queretaro, and Guadalajara if you love great year-round climate with enough rain for trees and greenery and still far cheaper than American cities.
Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 01-08-2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I would have suggested La Paz but you mentioned cool so that takes out La Paz I think but it's otherwise a nice location. I had forgotten Aguacalientes but in my previous research, it looks great in terms of climate, safety, cost etc. According to the cost of living calculator I like, the cost of living in Aguacalientes would be 37% of how much it costs in Phoenix.

According to the cost calculator I used, fresh veggies are significantly cheaper but meats are pretty similar cost at the markets. As others have noted, at restaurants is where you will see a huge savings compared to the USA restaurants.
Thank you !!

Old 01-13-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyemoye View Post
It's
The link to the MLS provides a helpful resource for those interested in exploring real estate options in the area. The variety in property prices between Ajijic and Jocotepec allows for flexibility in choosing a location based on personal preferences and budget considerations.
Thank you. Not interested in a real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico