Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
What is the Mexican diet? Every state has it's own cuisine so you can't generalize and say that the Mexican diet is atrocious, although people in northern Mexico have that kind of eating habits, people from central and southern Mexico eat much more vegetables, and fresh unprocessed fruit, as well as lots of corn tortillas, which are healthier than flour tortillas that are popular in the north.

Regards
If you go into just about any restaurant here in the USA that boasts of being a Mexican food restaurant, you will not see fresh vegetables, you won't see fruits. The food served are enchiladas, gorditas, flour burritos, refried beans, tacos, and not a whole lot else. Sometimes you can get encheritos, tacos swimming in a weak-tomato sauce covered with yellow cheese, in some places you can get an authentic Mexican wet-burrito, which is something made from a super-size flour (of course) tortilla and some hamburger meat and tomato sauce. You'd be amused.

I went to a restaurant one time in the Midwest USA, the owner was from Guadalajara. He said he opened a restaurant because he understood coming from Mexico, that was a sure bet because Mexican food was getting popular in the USA. He said people would come in and be upset because he wasn't serving much real Mexican food and he finally had to find out how to make "wet burritos" because that's what everyone wanted.

Most Americans do not realize that in Mexico a meal almost always includes soup and that people don't eat tacos and burritos all the time. They also know they are in an authentic Mexican food restaurant if there are bright colored sombreros hanging from the ceilings and all kinds of Mexican made decorations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 12:20 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If you go into just about any restaurant here in the USA that boasts of being a Mexican food restaurant, you will not see fresh vegetables, you won't see fruits. The food served are enchiladas, gorditas, flour burritos, refried beans, tacos, and not a whole lot else. Sometimes you can get encheritos, tacos swimming in a weak-tomato sauce covered with yellow cheese, in some places you can get an authentic Mexican wet-burrito, which is something made from a super-size flour (of course) tortilla and some hamburger meat and tomato sauce. You'd be amused.

I went to a restaurant one time in the Midwest USA, the owner was from Guadalajara. He said he opened a restaurant because he understood coming from Mexico, that was a sure bet because Mexican food was getting popular in the USA. He said people would come in and be upset because he wasn't serving much real Mexican food and he finally had to find out how to make "wet burritos" because that's what everyone wanted.

Most Americans do not realize that in Mexico a meal almost always includes soup and that people don't eat tacos and burritos all the time. They also know they are in an authentic Mexican food restaurant if there are bright colored sombreros hanging from the ceilings and all kinds of Mexican made decorations.

I agree that in most of the Mexican restaurants here in the U.S. you will not see vegetables. Sometimes you see lettuce but for the most part it what ever food you order with rice and beans. Also, I could be wrong, the food in each state of Mexico does vary but I have never heard of enchurrito except from Taco Bell and we all know Taco Bell is garbage.

Also Malamute, we dont have burritos. We have tacos and most of the time they are very small. Unless you are at the border then the food there tends to be more Americanized, some authentic.

FYI, I have been to restaurants here in the U.S. that have all the decore you speak of with sombreros and all but have no idea what they are doing in the kitchen.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
Hey, I like Taco Bell... :lol:

Old 01-23-2009, 12:37 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
tacos, burritos, enchiladas, gorditas, pambazos, etc is mexican fast food, or antojitos as they are called here hehe.

Tacos can vary in size depending on the region and the restaurant, tacos al pastor are usually small, but it depends on the taquero's taste.

Burritos are more popular in el norte, but they've been gaining adepts in central mexico.

Now speaking of real mexican food it is difficult, because every state has it's own cuisine.

in my case I love recipes from Veracruz, Puebla, Yucatan and Oaxaca, some recipes of Chilango (Mexico city) food are good too. El norte has good recipes too, but imho it is too much white flour and meat for my taste, although when I go to monterrey or Juarez I always have some burritos, piratas, tacos de deshebrada and gordas de harina LOL.

now returning to the original question, a lot of people in Mexico doesn't have very good eating habits unfortunately, a lot of people eats too much antojitos and soft drinks, this has created obesity and other health problems, but I guess is similar to what happens in the USA, there is junk food everywhere, and junk food is very cheap and it is tasty too.

Unfortunately healthy food which is tasty it is much more expensive, unless you eat at home.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:14 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
tacos, burritos, enchiladas, gorditas, pambazos, etc is mexican fast food, or antojitos as they are called here hehe.

Tacos can vary in size depending on the region and the restaurant, tacos al pastor are usually small, but it depends on the taquero's taste.

Burritos are more popular in el norte, but they've been gaining adepts in central mexico.

Now speaking of real mexican food it is difficult, because every state has it's own cuisine.

in my case I love recipes from Veracruz, Puebla, Yucatan and Oaxaca, some recipes of Chilango (Mexico city) food are good too. El norte has good recipes too, but imho it is too much white flour and meat for my taste, although when I go to monterrey or Juarez I always have some burritos, piratas, tacos de deshebrada and gordas de harina LOL.

now returning to the original question, a lot of people in Mexico doesn't have very good eating habits unfortunately, a lot of people eats too much antojitos and soft drinks, this has created obesity and other health problems, but I guess is similar to what happens in the USA, there is junk food everywhere, and junk food is very cheap and it is tasty too.

Unfortunately healthy food which is tasty it is much more expensive, unless you eat at home.
Excellent post. 100% correct.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
You guys want a laugh?
25 yrs ago I went back to Ont Canada in order to visit relatives where I was born and grew up. Had a rented car and was always driving by a deli with a large sign outside that said "TACOS".

So what the heck...I stopped and went inside and asked the young teen girl behind the sandwich case about buying a Taco. She nicely pointed to a table with many different items... canned goods...along with pkgs of tortilla shells ready shaped for ingredients. This was their "TACOS". She had NO idea what a TACO was. I explained that I was originally from the nearby city and was living in Calif where we have TACOS and what they consisted of. If it wasn't for the cold weather I might have moved back there and opened up a REAL TACO place. Steve

Old 01-25-2009, 09:32 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You guys want a laugh?
25 yrs ago I went back to Ont Canada in order to visit relatives where I was born and grew up. Had a rented car and was always driving by a deli with a large sign outside that said "TACOS".

So what the heck...I stopped and went inside and asked the young teen girl behind the sandwich case about buying a Taco. She nicely pointed to a table with many different items... canned goods...along with pkgs of tortilla shells ready shaped for ingredients. This was their "TACOS". She had NO idea what a TACO was. I explained that I was originally from the nearby city and was living in Calif where we have TACOS and what they consisted of. If it wasn't for the cold weather I might have moved back there and opened up a REAL TACO place. Steve
LOL great post Steve, I was gonna rep you but I need to spread the love around, regards!

Old 01-25-2009, 01:30 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
LOL great post Steve, I was gonna rep you but I need to spread the love around, regards!
I agree. I'll rep him for you.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM

73,021 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Everything you see in Mexican restaurants in the USA is an Americanized version.

Nachos were invented across the border in Piedras Negras by a cook who was trying to please American officers' wives. The kitchen was technically closed and all that was available was cheese, jalapeno peppers, and corn chips, so the cook put all of it together. It was named for the maitre d', Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya.
The chimichanga was invented by a cook who accidentally dropped a burrito in the fryer and almost said a swear word in front of children. She quickly said "chimichanga".

Alot of people don't know that chocolate originated in Mexico and was a drink at first. What about foods such as nopales(comes from the prickly pear cactus)? Other foods such as jicama, tripas,tlacoyos, atole, venado. There is much more to food from Mexico than what is represented in the USA.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
I have this idea that american food tastes better in Mexico than USA. The american restaurants in Mexico are more clean and upscale than in USA, maybe is because not all can afford to eat at that restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico