Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 02:49 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times

Advertisements

Interesting youtube where the indigenous people speak out and express the descrimination they face from Mestizos. On the other hand, Mestizos say it is their own fault for not getting involved in politics. Please share your thoughts.

YouTube - indios & mestizos - clip 2 from Democracia Indigena

In my hometown in the early 1900's there was a law they indigenous people needed to leave their "huaraches" or sandals in the outskirts of the town before entering to buy their groceries. On their way back, their huaraches were gone...stolen. Descrimination against them does still happen but I also have to say that some express they prefer to live isolated from others to preserve their culture. Is it our fault we cant provide schooling for them or do we not want to? Most of the teachers they send out there are not even educationally prepared to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
^^
Habits (usos y costumbres) are those who have these people in the backlog, if they are not involved with Mexican society and reject the advances of the same, do not want to educate and excel, remain the poorest of the poor ..

Here is the example of Benito Juarez, a native became president of the republic, not by its history but for his determination to be more than the others ...

Old 01-17-2009, 02:13 AM

Not all indigenous cultures exhibit bad habits and tell me which culture in general doesnt? The indigenous people of Janitzio are peaceful people who dont have bad habits, as far as I know. They even have a school that is bilingual (spanish and their dialect).

Then also look at the indigenous populations in Oaxaca who have been deprived of education period in "certain regions". Should be expect them to relocate to another area just so their children can go to school? I dont think that is fair. They work and contribute to the community, they too should have access to an education. Some areas the government will send "teachers" that are not even qualified because they didnt finish "La secundaria", if they send someone at all.

We should not blame it all on them. Our government has neglected them for a long time.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
I agree, if people don't get an education, how are they going to be involved in politics, but a lot of things things are changing as democracy in Mexico keeps maturing

Old 01-17-2009, 04:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
My feeling is that if they can properly feed their children and provide for them, then if they have a different way of living, it's okay but when they're subjecting their children to malnutrition, high death rates, and so on, then it gets into the territory of child abuse and neglect and they should not have the rights to do that.

Maybe for some they are educating their children in farming or traditions that have served them for centuries and their children will at least be skilled and are healthy and can survive, be self-reliant.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:49 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My feeling is that if they can properly feed their children and provide for them, then if they have a different way of living, it's okay but when they're subjecting their children to malnutrition, high death rates, and so on, then it gets into the territory of child abuse and neglect and they should not have the rights to do that.

Maybe for some they are educating their children in farming or traditions that have served them for centuries and their children will at least be skilled and are healthy and can survive, be self-reliant.
This reminds me, why mexican menonitas, live according to their uses and customs, and they live a life that is very different from the life of most major cities, however they are pretty capable of surviving by themselves and nobody complains.

It is interesting to note however, that some menonitas have started to be influenced by life in Mexico, and are slowly drifting from their traditional ways, which has created conflicts among their communities

Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 AM

Some Menonitas have also picked up on some really bad habits such as becoming alcoholics.

Back to the subject at hand. It is not that indigenous cultures in Oaxaca and Chiapas are conforming to a way of life that does not include improving their quality of life. There has been a number of complaints because of lack of proper education, lack of food resources and over all lack of health care services. Why are we not reaching out to them? Why do we neglect them and then wait for foreign world organizations to come and save them? As I said before, we are quick to open our doors and invite foreigners yet our own indigenous brothers and sisters are dying by the numbers because we dont give them a hand.

YouTube - DOWUSA - Health Services for Chiapas' Indigenous Communities

Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
^^ maybe because they are not babies... if they dont like: study, get medical atention, progress..why bother then?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
^^ maybe because they are not babies... if they dont like: study, get medical atention, progress..why bother then?
That is the problem...people have stereotypes of indigenous people as being lazy and conformist. It is neither. It is called descrimination.

Minorities in the U.S. are often descriminated...Latinos, African Americans, etc. Maybe African Americans should get their act together because they are not babies...

Why should the rest of the country (U.S.) bother then?
It is not any different from what is happening with indigenous cultures in Mexico. As a matter of fact, minorities in the U.S. have it much better than indigenous populations in Mexico.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 AM

I hope I am making myself clear with my comment. I am not saying that African Americans are lazy and conformist. I am saying that both African Americans and Indigenous people of Mexico are descriminated by society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico