Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,002 times

Advertisements

I suspect we all have our favorite books about this country, its history and culture and I would be interested to know and hear more about what they are - for those who believe in the magic of this country and all its incredible potential. As the great-great-(gringa) niece of a friend of Juarez, it took me many years before I became infatuated with all the incredible history, both grand and sad that has made Mexico what it is today.

For me, two books pulled me in as I became engrossed in the tragic twists and turns of Mexico history: 'Rain of Gold' by Victor Villasenor. Most reviews on Amazon.com describe it as one of the most powerful books they have ever read - and as recommended by a Mexicano to gringo friends as a way to describe his "genetic heritage". The story begins before the Spanish and describes the lives of 2 families way before, during and after the conquest - their desperate struggles during the revolution and ultimately, their crossing the border into the US and their fates in a new country - which was once their Mexico.

The second book is 'The Hummingbird's Daughter' by Luis Urrea which I first borrowed and since have bought for myself, my son, daughter and friends. A true story, written by the grand-nephew of Teresita, a curandera (female shaman), who came to be known as La Santa de Cabora it also tells a story, set right before, during and after the revolution, of an incredible woman born into abject poverty who later became known as a saint because of her amazing healing powers. The history of Mexico comes alive with this story; the hacendados, the politicos and the revolutionaries and the very poor people of Mexico who needed to believe in the magic of this woman..

I'm reading (as I mentioned elsewhere) 'Yesterday's Train' and just came across a letter from the famous (or infamous) Zapatista leader, Marco, which is profoundly touching and beautiful with its intense love for his country and its indigenous people. Apparently, he was NOT very popular with several groups of Mexicanos even with his lofty, revolutionary ideals but this explanatory 1995 letter to journalists of his goals with thanks to the international community for their support is quite amazing.. For those interested folks, I'll post part of it manana. Gotta go eat.. Would love to hear more if folks are interested in something other than the drug cartels and kidnappings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 PM

469 posts, read 1,257,160 times
Looking forward to reading Marcos' letter. I lived in Chiapas during the revolution, and applaud the Zapatista movement for learning to use the media to highlight the plight of those with an otherwise small voice.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Steven, I actually thought I might have to type parts of it out! But then went on-line and found a site dedicated to his writings.. I also read elsewhere that many in Chiapas aren't happy with him because he wears a mask - that he should be brave and show his face! The following lines (almost poetic) are so sad and speak to his people's long struggle against their own government to gain equity. I found these lines particularly moving because they also explain his country's historical reluctance to allow other nation's any foothold on Mexico's soil.

"We were born between blood and gunpowder, between blood and gunpowder we were raised. Every so often the powerful from other lands came to rob us of tomorrow. For this reason it was written, in a war song that unites us: "If a foreigner ever dares, to profane with his foot your dream, think, Oh beloved motherland, that heaven gave you a soldier in each son." For this reason we fought yesterday. With flags and different languages the foreigner came to conquer us. He came and he went. We continued to be Mexicans because we weren't happy with any other name nor to walk under any other flag that does not have the eagle devouring a snake, on a white background, and with green and red to the sides. And that's what happened to us."

And the next poignant lines which speak to globalization - and the accompanying greed.. Heavy duty stuff.

"We, the first inhabitants of these lands, the indigenous, we were left forgotten in a corner, and the rest began to grow and become stronger. We only had our history with which to defend ourselves, and we seized it in order not to die. Later even this part of the history became practically a joke because a single country, the country of money, put itself in the middle of all of the flags. And they said "Globalization" and then we knew that this was how this absurb order was called, an order in which money is the only country which is served and the borders are erased, not out of brotherhood, but because of the impoverishment which fattens the powerful without nationality. The lie became the universal coin, and in our country, a dream, based on the nightmare of the majority, of wealth and prosperity was knitted for the few."
Marcos: A year of the Zapatista government - March 1995

Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Thank you for finding and presenting Marcos' writings, Sarah. He is quite eloquent and sentimental. His thoughts about globalization reflect my comments of earlier today on the post about fences, and how we are becoming a melting pot. Whether this is for better or worse is purely up to interpretation. We all have a window of reference, and are free to like or dislike change. His writing, whether one agrees or disagrees, is refreshingly authentic and endearing. One can only admire such pure and noble conviction.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
For me, two books pulled me in as I became engrossed in the tragic twists and turns of Mexico history: 'Rain of Gold' by Victor Villasenor. Most reviews on Amazon.com describe it as one of the most powerful books they have ever read - and as recommended by a Mexicano to gringo friends as a way to describe his "genetic heritage". The story begins before the Spanish and describes the lives of 2 families way before, during and after the conquest - their desperate struggles during the revolution and ultimately, their crossing the border into the US and their fates in a new country - which was once their Mexico.
I just looked it up on Amazon. I see it is also available in Spanish. Do you know offhand in which language it was written? I'm guessing English since that version has the earliest publish date.

I wish it were available in audio CD as I have a boring work commute and little other free time to read. It's in cassette so it has been narrated.

I noticed he has a new book "Beyond Rain of Gold" due to be released in April, available for pre-order now.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Victor Villaseñor's bio and books are fascinating. Here's his website for those interested.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Luis Urrea also has a nice website for those interested in his books and bio. Luis Alberto Urrea - Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry (http://www.luisurrea.com/aboutluis.php - broken link)

And here's a website with the many writings and letters of Marcos.. I wonder who he was before he embarked on his life as a guerilla and would-be savior of the indigenous and their vanishing culture.

Writings of Subcommander Marcos of the EZLN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico