Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM

972 posts, read 3,926,162 times

Advertisements

and surprising Cd Juarez does not look like Bagdad in Google Earth, even appear as a liveable city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM

758 posts, read 2,241,364 times
I know. And the hooker I hired last week looked clean, but I can't seem to find an answer for the rash I've got down there.

... looks can be deceiving. Ciudad Juarez is a functioning city, with garbage men, schools, grocery stores, shopping malls, karate academies, concert halls, parks etc... it's just... as my cousin described it, in a state of Coma.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 AM

(Yes this is still relevant to the thread)
OK... one thing I am absolutely amazed about is that google maps has street view in ANAPRA. Anyone who knows Juarez knows that this place is more or less off-limits. Throughout my childhood, if i looked dirty, or if i didn't dress right they'd say, "pareces que vienes de Anapra" It was a really rough place. Houses are made out cinder block, carton, and industrial garbage. And googlemaps decided it was safe to send their car with all the equipment over there. Crazy!!! I'm glad nothing happened... or maybe it did.

I haven't been to Juarez in about 5 yrs so I spent almost all day playing on it. My elementary school is now named "Instituto Bilingue Frida Kahlo"... i think it's probably underwent 10 name changes since I was there. Sigh, as aesthetically unpleasing as the city is... i miss it.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
or maybe they just paid the gangs to drive around, or offered to transport some drugs for them...

Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 AM

or maybe nothing happen, i have seen the google cars in the street and is not like everybody interested in them, many even, dont know what Google means.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
or maybe nothing happen, i have seen the google cars in the street and is not like everybody interested in them, many even, dont know what Google means.
The google cars are little, not so expensive so no one thinks there's some rich drug cartel member in them. Plain ordinary people not involved in cartel business or part of some street gang are not targetted by anyone.

Those aren't the vehicles someone would carjack -- the carjackers like Hummers, big 4-wheel drive trucks and SUVs.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The google cars are little, not so expensive so no one thinks there's some rich drug cartel member in them. Plain ordinary people not involved in cartel business or part of some street gang are not targetted by anyone.

Those aren't the vehicles someone would carjack -- the carjackers like Hummers, big 4-wheel drive trucks and SUVs.
Some of the neighborhoods that google maps covered in Juarez I wouldn't even WALK through. Even back in the day when Juarez was relatively safe, I would never go through Anapra, or Zaragoza,... or a couple of the infonavit neighborhoods. It's truly amazing, and this is really a great gift to the people of Juarez.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Man, you cannot stay on the subject....

Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 AM

I'd say i'm on subject. It's google maps and their coverage of Juarez, and whether they did it or not under the threat of violence. What's off subject?

Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,662 times
I'm going to go off topic again - but that Google Street View blows me away. I've never really been to Juarez, but they went EVERYWHERE in Mexico. Simply stunning, and a something that will prove to be a huge time waster for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico