Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:15 PM

103 posts, read 205,207 times

Advertisements

i;d like to visit a city in mex that is safe and i don't have to worry about being a white american...any ideal cities...coastal cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 PM

34 posts, read 158,160 times
No crime? ha Even Mayberry had crime.

Just stay away from the boarder and don't buy drugs to eliminate 80% of the risk.

Check out Sayulita on the coast. It's still a small town that is beginning to grow. Easy to get to. Just fly into puerto Vallarta and take a bus to Sayulita.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 25,968 times
I lived in Playa del Carmen for almost 3 years and always felt safe. It's 40 minutes south of Cancun airport.

Check out this forum playa.info

Paul

Old 04-07-2010, 04:47 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times
The Vallarta area in general is deemed safe because of the huge tourism industry and the many foreigners who live here full and part-time. All along Hwy 200, including Sayulita, a charming surfing town, there are wonderful beachfront villages and towns to visit from beautifully manicured Nuevo Vallarta (home to loads of luxury hotels), on to 'my' town Bucerias, another charming village with two faces, that of the original village with its popular town square and the other more affluent (but equally charming) side. La Cruz, another popular village with lots of music venues and a new marina and very walkable malecon then on to Sayulita, small but captivating San Francisco (called san pancho) then Lo De Marco, a popular Mexican tourist destination and camping spot - then Rincon de Guayabitos and La Penita - sort of at the end of line before you start climbing up the mountain towards Guadalajara. Or you can turn left there and head to San Blas and Mazatlan (although there have been some recent incidents in Mazatlan).

All these places are terrific destinations and all you need to do is google them to get some information regarding accomodations, activities and critiques..

Lest I forget, you could also forsake the ocean and head to beautiful Lake Chapala (45 mins from the Guadalajara airport), which offers many inviting places to stay on or near the lake. We just got back an immensely enjoyable trip. We loved the whole experience and the vitality of the place - especially the Chapala waterfront and the historic old buildings. (Lots of foreigners live there).. Stayed at an amazingly charming BnB called the QQ, Quinta Quezacoatl (sp) 1/2 block from the lake. Oozing pure colonial Mexican charm and a surprising bargain at $75 a night including a gourmet breakfast..

Buena suerte!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
White Americans are NOT safe in Vallarta...from timeshare touts or inflated prices when the cruise ships are in town LOL.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:28 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
White Americans are NOT safe in Vallarta...from timeshare touts or inflated prices when the cruise ships are in town LOL.
HAHAHAHAHA! I had to give you reputation points for that.

White Americans (at least the girls, and guys at gay clubs) are also not safe from cat calls, and and whistling.

You are also not safe from haggling and bargaining down at markets.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:31 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
@ SarahSal : I'm a friend of Brad in Yelapa (was a friend of Isabel from "The Point" , she passed away end of 2008), do you know him?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,277 times
You can try Tepoztlan, its so nice there that the police did not even exist.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ SarahSal : I'm a friend of Brad in Yelapa (was a friend of Isabel from "The Point" , she passed away end of 2008), do you know him?
I definitely know of Isabel - my son (who has spent lots of time in Yelapa) knew her well and thought highly of her. He really wanted to be at her memorial - I've seen a web memorial to her and she was truly an incredible and lovely woman.. My son is also friends w/ the 'drum man' from on top of the cliffs near the waterfall overlooking Yelapa's bay - and camped up there many times. (small world). My son might know Brad, especially if he's a music person..

Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Muy Bien! My greatest fear in Mexico indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico