Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times

Advertisements

That statement that there are many English speakers in Cuernavaca is not true at all. It is very easy to stay immersed in Spanish in Cuernavaca. There are excellent Spanish Schools in Cuernavaca but the numbers of people attending are very small in comparison to the residents and Mexican tourists there. Cuernavaca has the reputation as the best place to study Spanish in Mexico because of this and because of the quality of the schools, plus it is a safe destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:01 PM

125 posts, read 244,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I am considering Cuernavaca for study abroad in the Fall but I have been reading about the spread of the drug war from the border to the South of Mexico. I am from NYC -- lived here during the bad crack years -- and understand that if one uses common sense and is cautious, they are less likely to run into trouble.But I would like to know how safe it is to walk around alone and at night. Cuernavaca was recommended by a professor, but is it worth the risk or would you recommend that American students look into programs in other Spanish-speaking countries instead?
I corresponded with a señora in Cuernavaca (The City of the Eternal Spring) for several years and she always spoke about the Spanish language schools located in Cuernavaca, in particular, the [SIZE=2]ASLI Spanish School in Cuernavaca, she considered it to be the best Spanish language school in Cuernavaca. Here is a link to the school's web site. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Spanish Schools in Cuernavaca, Spanish Language Institute, ASLI, Cuernavaca.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,001 times
Hi "Queensgrl". I`m from Cuernavaca and I can tell you that Cuernavaca is safe. Not how we want, but still is safe. The drug war takes just the people who sells and buys drugs. Not civil people. Afortly, people still can walk on the streets (like in all the conuntries, there are places that are not safe) at nigth.

If you need more information, just write me ( I don`t know much english, but I`ll do my best trying to answer to you).

Mi e-mail is [email]acabanastinajero@hotmail.com[/email] and my name is Angel.

Good luck

Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 PM

93 posts, read 285,866 times
You don't have to worry about the Drug War in Cuernavaca. Most of that violence is concentrated in the North of the country, particularly along the border. Don't worry about the violence in that part of Mexico because freaking out about that makes about as much sense as canceling your vacation to Miami because there are gang turf wars in Houston.

Here are a couple of links from Canadian and American newspapers that disspell the media frenzy that has blown the Drug War out of proportion.

How dangerous is Mexico? Despite drug war, it’s less deadly than it was a decade ago | Street Gangs Resource Center – Los Angeles and California | The Gang Experts | Crips | Bloods | Mara Salvatrucha | 18th Street
Mexican voters defy drug lords (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mexican+voters+defy+drug+lords/3265436/story.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico