Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,123 times

Advertisements

as my name states, I have lurked around here for a bit and it seems that the people living in Miami are unhappy.

As someone who has visited Miami several years ago (7 to be exact). What exactly are the biggest complaints besides unemployment (which is common in many places these days) and apparently the lack of diversity? I am just trying to understand it all, surely its not the lack of things to do...I know that this topic has been created to death, but I am really considering moving to Miami or nearby areas in the coming months. Keep in mind that I was down in Miami for about a month and my experiences with the locations down there is rather limited. I have visited Sarasota, Jacksonville, Tampa, Palatka (DO NOT WANT TO MOVE THERE LOL) and Orlando for extended periods of time and have more experiences there over Miami if that helps any.

A couple of things to note:
My girl and I would love to rent and possibly keep under 1K per month in a rather decent area if possible.

I have lived in NYC for most of my life, so an overpopulated area with mostly Spanish speaking population is not really something that would bother me.

Public transportation is important, but not a deal breaker if forced to bike or drive to places (would rather not)

Thanks!

Last edited by LurkerTurnedMember; 04-01-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I am not unhappy here. I pay less than $1000 for my place in South Miami, close to the University of Miami. I take the train to work every day, and the bus frequently. I live in a nice area, lots of shops, clubs around, I rarely use my car.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
OP - If public transportation is important to you then you have just limited yourself to a few areas. A car is pretty much a must if you want to get around Miami easily. So factor in car insurance and gas into your budget, Miami has one of the highest insurance rates in the country fyi.

As for your budget, you will be fine, you may not have everything you want at that budget but you can fine something close.

If you have been lurking the Miami forum, you will see what the biggest complaints are. Everyone has different complaints about Miami, mine is the weather. I really hate the weather in Miami its way to hot and humdity most of the year for me. To me Miami has about 4 months of nice weather, the rest of the year the weather here is uncomfortable to me. On the flip side I have friends that love the heat and humidity and hate those few 60 degree days we get that I love. So as you can see it really all depends on who you ask. Drivers in Miami is another thing I dislike, people just aren't very polite drivers, its defensive driving in Miami at all times.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,269,437 times
I think before you ask the question you have to first ask if a) they were born in miami or b) did they come from latin america/caribbean. those two points will make a dramatic difference whether they appreciate miami or not. remember, miami is NOT america. its more like our quebec. standard american culture you may be familiar with elsewhere is muted or nearly silent many places here.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
Miami is not diverse compared to NYC, but it most certainly is diverse compared to many middle American places. Not much to do? Again, compared to NYC, yeah not as much, but compared to Toledo, I'd say very exciting. Mainly Miami is about the Beach - that's the headline story. But of course there is much more. Besides the Beach you have all kinds of events like Ultra, the Miami Grand Prix right in downtown Miami, the Orange Bowl and associated parade, Calle Ocho, and plenty of other events and festivals, not to mention if you ever get bored with MIA you have the whole Caribbean right at your doorstep.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:31 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
I thought the Grand Prix ended in the 80's? Downtown route anyway.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:15 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Why do you want to move here? Everybody dislikes this city for different reasons

Everybodys different. While I think the weather can be uncomfortable, it's not something that bothers me because I have high heat tolerance. The weather is actually a plus for me since I have low cold weather tolerance The rude customer service and drivers are something I can deal with, but it is true we have the worst drivers in the planet.

My biggest complaint now days is the lack of an urban feel. The so called urban areas are a joke full of tourists, full of hotels or empty condos. This not a complaint everybody has because most Americans have lived inthe suburbs all their lives. I didn't, I grew up in an urban environment and I just miss walking everywhere.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,269,437 times
Let's not beat around the bush. I would say the biggest complain nowadays from americans moving here is the lack of american culture/dominance of latin culture.
That is the #1 complain i hear from all the people they hire from out of state at every company i have ever worked for here. the classic surprise: "wow this is another country"
We need to let people know this so they arent surprised when the come here. We need to educate them and let them know that yes - this is something unlike anywhere else you've experienced in the united states. Once people are well aware of that and it is common knowledge they will either decide not to move here or they will stop being surprised when they arrive, knowing full well what they're getting into.

There is nothing wrong with this. This is not an insult upon the city. If the culture is different so be it. What is the problem is, is the PR machine trying to make miami out to be some sort of laid-back tropical paradise and then people being shocked when they arrive. Simply ask people if they would take a job in south america. If the answer is no, they probably shouldnt attempt miami.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,496,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am not unhappy here. I pay less than $1000 for my place in South Miami, close to the University of Miami. I take the train to work every day, and the bus frequently. I live in a nice area, lots of shops, clubs around, I rarely use my car.
I know a friend who lives around UM (he lives in Alhambra Circle) and to go to work he uses the train as well, never has had to use a car since moving into that place 16 years ago.

I just wish i could live in that area .

OP - In Miami you need transportation, so you definitely need a car if you want to visit places. Buses is a pain in the butt.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:03 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,496,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Why do you want to move here? Everybody dislikes this city for different reasons

Everybodys different. While I think the weather can be uncomfortable, it's not something that bothers me because I have high heat tolerance. The weather is actually a plus for me since I have low cold weather tolerance The rude customer service and drivers are something I can deal with, but it is true we have the worst drivers in the planet.

My biggest complaint now days is the lack of an urban feel. The so called urban areas are a joke full of tourists, full of hotels or empty condos. This not a complaint everybody has because most Americans have lived inthe suburbs all their lives. I didn't, I grew up in an urban environment and I just miss walking everywhere.
Tourists are what keeps this city from going down the toilet financially.

but i do agree with the Customer Service/Rude Drivers, but you'll grow accostumed to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami