Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 PM

8 posts, read 38,086 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm 34 years old, single, and I'm currently interviewing for a position in Miami, Florida. I'm very excited about the interview, because I really want the job. On the other hand, I'm very nervous about moving from Chicago to Miami where I won't know anyone.

I've heard all kinds of things about Miami's crime, nightlife, singles, housing and etc, and I'm sure most of it is not true.

I've heard that you need to be practically rich to live there. My salary is slightly under 100k per year, so I'm clearly not rich, but I would prefer not to move into a part of town where I had to fear for my life.

First, I like to go out, but at 34 years old I'm not interested in hanging out in places where the average age is under 25. Does anyone know fun, yet safe places for singles in their 30's to hang out in Miami?

Second, what are great places to meet people? I'm guessing it will be kind of awkward being single and not having a wing woman to go out with. The position that I'm interviewing for is an Executive position and typically, we don't hang out with each other after work. Most of my peers at old jobs have been older men and married, so that's not the ideal situation to meet friends. Also, you can't hang out with people that report to you either so meeting someone in the workplace is more than likely not going to happen.

Lastly, I've heard that some apartments in nice parts of town have an extremely high amount of crime - violent crimes. I'm sure people say that about Chicago, but most violent crimes in Chicago only take place in neighborhoods overcome by poverty! So, I was wondering is it possible that I can pay a fair amount for rent and still end up with neighbors with tear drops tattoo'd on their faces? I'm hoping someone was just trying to scare me out of considering the move. I hear the traffic there is terrible, is it possible that it will take an hour to drive 10 miles on the freeway during rush hour? Is the traffic that bad there? I ask, because if it is then that would restrict my apartment search to very close to the job that I'm considering.

Answers to any of the questions would be a big help!

Last edited by Trainer5; 10-01-2013 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Changing title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 AM

169 posts, read 310,448 times
Why not try aventura/ives dary area.
Safe neighborhood.
Full of adults.

Only thing you may have to put up with is the kids from there who heard too many rap songs and skate around all day thinking they're thugs.

Or you can move a little bit more down into nmb. Golf park, greynolds park. It's very quiet there.

Other than that you pretty much have miami gardens where crime has been high as hell this year but is still considered a suburban haven by residents of the actual "ghettos" in miami. Things you'd probably deal with in miami gardens is seeing teenagers have fights that take up streets, random burglary, kidnappings of children, nothing out of the ordinary for any suburb that has a high middle class.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,750,221 times
For that salary and no kids you can live in a lot of safe places. If you get the job where you work would help determine places because of commute times.

In regards to 30 year olds there are plenty of places in the brickell area and wynwood area, beach tends to be younger but you can find 30 year old there as well.

If you can tell us what area you work place is near we can give more direction and also the lifestyle you are looking for.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM

22,365 posts, read 29,487,050 times
Brickell is a good place. Look there

Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 16,708 times
Agreed with Cubanchic and himain. Brickell is nice. Some of the apartments can be expensive, but further south is ok, reasonable prices.
You can find a decent apt or house/condo in Coconut Grove if you don't mind living in a small space.
South Miami is nice too, but the further near Brickell the better.

Also, for hanging out, Coconut Grove has a more mature vibe to it, not crazy kids like at SoBe. But it has nice bars/restaurants, a kind of laid back nightlife.

As for meeting people, try going to the Brickell Run Club on Tuesday nights, there are other ones in Coral Gables and South Beach on Wed and Thu nights. I think the Brickell one is the biggest though. Just turn up in your running gear and go for a 3-4 miles run with a few hundred other people for free. It's quite mad really, with all those people running on the street, but I think it's more for awareness for drivers and just an excuse to get people into fitness.
You can mingle with others before and after the run and there are people of all ages there (biggest demographic would be 30 somethings like you and me).

Old 10-02-2013, 02:03 PM

231 posts, read 463,033 times
Im 27, not quite 30 but I'd say Brickell to get your feet wet or the Bay Side of South Beach. Lots of 30+ in the area's.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:29 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,840,874 times
Where exactly is the office of the company where you are interviewing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami