Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Honestly when it comes to friendliness with my neighbors I just give a "Hi, how are you?" when I see them outside, if that. My neighbors on LI I don't even talk to and I personally like it like that. I have my circle of people with whom I associate and my neighbors have theirs. I'm not asking for some decadent dinner party including my neighbors or anything like that.
I agree, im not looking for neighbors to come over and have dinner with me. But I wouldn't mind knowing their names. If someone is snooping around my home at 4:00 in the morning I wouldn't mind them calling the cops for me (since I would be unaware of whats going on) etc.

By the way, that last bit happened. One day the AC unit on our home magically caught fire. Anyway, we had firefighters come out etc. So the chief comes to me and says "hehe, your neighbor saw someone on the side of your house around 4:00 this morning". Im thinking to myself "and this idiot didn't think to call the police?" Simple crap like that is all im asking for. I generally don't even speak much outside of the internet unless I know you. But a little since of community does go a LONG way for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I've lived in south Florida since 1973. I am originally from Indiana. I was shocked when in Dadeland - Burdines or wherever - the sales people were too busy talking to each other to help me! I was shocked and dazed when I went shoe shopping and the salesperson just handed me the box with the shoes in it!! Back in Indiana, the salesperson would take the shoe out of the box, place it on my foot, tie the shoelace or whatever. Oh, and the first thing they might do would be to measure my foot!!! Ha ha ha ha, try and find a foot measuring device in a shoe store down here!!!
"the sales people were too busy talking to each other to help me!"

How about just asking? Or you expect them to stand silent the whole time?

"I was shocked and dazed when I went shoe shopping and the salesperson just handed me the box with the shoes in it!! Back in Indiana, the salesperson would take the shoe out of the box, place it on my foot, tie the shoelace or whatever."

You are telling me, as a grown adult, that you need someone to put your shoe on for you and tie it?

"Oh, and the first thing they might do would be to measure my foot!!!"

You do not know how big your feet are? You need to measure each time? How about this, take what size shoe you have now and put on the new one, then adjust if it is too big or small.

This is an example of why people think others are rude because someone (making around minimum wage at that) won't bow down to them and treat them like royalty, or basically like a child.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
So it's true that people in this country invite their neighbors for dinner? I've only seen that on TV.

To be honest, that sounds very friendly. No wonder some people find Miami to be a cold place.

I think I understand them now.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I wouldn't mind knowing their names.
Wouldn't you know their names if you went over, rang their bell and introduced yourself?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Wouldn't you know their names if you went over, rang their bell and introduced yourself?
or we could exchange that info while passing each other, but it doesn't work like that. but like i said, you will see when you get here.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How about just asking? Or you expect them to stand silent the whole time?

You are telling me, as a grown adult, that you need someone to put your shoe on for you and tie it?

You do not know how big your feet are? You need to measure each time? How about this, take what size shoe you have now and put on the new one, then adjust if it is too big or small.

This is an example of why people think others are rude because someone (making around minimum wage at that) won't bow down to them and treat them like royalty, or basically like a child.
This time I have to disagree with you, Boxus.

I'm not elite or anything, but I was raised in a very well educated and mannered home, where learning etiquettes for different purposes was part of my childhood bring up. ex: how to level my voice according to distance, how to hold a book while reading, how to laugh, smile, how to walk on a hurry, how to move my hands when talking, how to drink water, or hold the glass, etc... and most important, how to treat different kinds of people.

That's why some of us, who were brought up to good values, are rather disappointed by the attitude and customer service we sometimes receive by incompetent people.

No matter how s#itty your position is in this life , you are still offering a service to society. And guess what, that s#itty minimum work pay employment is your called "your job", and is somehow, helping you pay whatever expenses you might have. So you better take it with pride

Even if you don't expect profesionalism amongst dish washers, at least consider the idea that there should be some kind of treatment or relationship between a customer and a seller.

I don't need someone to put a shoe on my feet, however the treatment i'M GIVEN, shows how important their clients are for them. And that's very relevant for their business for I could be a future compulsive client, who, might know other compulsive buyers. AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS RECEIVE YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH A CARING AND WELCOMING SERVICE - THEY CAN'T EVER FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE AT YOUR SERVICE , OR ELSE, YOU ARE NOTHING BUT AN INCOMPETENT. That's something those sellers don't see. But I know they still make money, cuz most of the customers happen to be low educated and mannered as well. Too bad that's the demography down here.

And about that lady from Burdines, I also happen to experience such things many times. They talk and talk, and they see you standing there. I would not make a big deal out of that, but we when I say "good afternoon, I guess I'm ready to pay for these pants", I expect an answer. Wouldn't you expect an answer right after that? at least an "Ok, let me finish with my friend here" is all I ask for. Do I have to Cubanize myself in order to get some service? Believe me, I'm never in the mood to be barking like a dog, or make scenes in public.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:47 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
Quote:
or we could exchange that info while passing each other, but it doesn't work like that. but like i said, you will see when you get here.
But my point is, YOU haven't gone over and rang their bell and YOU haven't said, while passing, "Hey buddy, we're neighbors, what's your name?" Have you??

I highly doubt if you did that they would simply ignore you.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
But my point is, YOU haven't gone over and rang their bell and YOU haven't said, while passing, "Hey buddy, we're neighbors, what's your name?" Have you??

I highly doubt if you did that they would simply ignore you.
ooook but I think you're missing the general point. Which is about the rudeness or what some may consider a lack of warmth amongst the people here. We are not asking for bread baskets and back rubs. Just the simple acknowledgement from someone who lives in your neighborhood or a introduction while passing or walking down the street or whatever the case may be.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,839 times
Quote:
ooook but I think you're missing the general point. Which is about the rudeness or what some may consider a lack of warmth amongst the people here. We are not asking for bread baskets and back rubs. Just the simple acknowledgement from someone who lives in your neighborhood or a introduction while passing or walking down the street or whatever the case may be.
you are giving this Coconut a hard time but my understanding is that you live hollyhood?

Wild Style, unlike you I have live in Miami for decades, I know my neighbors, sometimes we go for dinner or lunch, and it's not just one house, it's the house on the left, the house on the right and the 3 homes across it, and even the neighbors on the other side of street with who we share our fence. We go to their parties, the come to ours. You expect too much but like Coconut said have you tried to introduce yourself? you might need to work on your people's skills

Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,839 times
Quote:
start with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5vz6iwV38U

"if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change" Michael Jackson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami