Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:55 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times

Advertisements

Mylady believes in the Puritan Ethic; "if you're poor and destitute, it's because you worked for it". "Poor people are sinners and misfits". It's quite sad that in Miami most people that presume of such principles also pretend to be good Catholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
I don't know what you guys expect from a city. Are many of you from rural areas or somewhere in the South with Southern Hospitality or a Midwestern friendliness?

Yeah, people in Miami can be quite rude, superficial, "it's all about me," etc. Driving also does suck here but I feel like I'm pretty used to it. So please, out of honest curiosity, where are most of you from that you feel that this is so out of the norm? In LI it's pretty much the same scenario as LI but with less Hispanic presence, though I grew up in/around a very socioeconomically diverse area.

Thanks.
To answer the OP's question - I am from Miami, born and raised and living here all my (almost) 50yrs of living, never anywhere else (ti next month when I leave the state) I think I qualify as being a "true Miamian" with this background

You asked: I don't know what you guys expect from a city. and where are most of you from

It's not so much of what I expect out of a city, it's what I expect out of the people who live in the city and make up the dynamics of the city.

Miami USE to be a wonderful place to live. What made it that way, THE PEOPLE! What's happened over the years that's made it worse, THE PEOPLE.

People use to have manners, consideration, patience, morals, standards and a conscience. People use to be family orientated, community orientated and many, spiritually orientated. Many people where happy to help others, it wasn't always about me-me-me as it is today.

It's the people, the society, that's made Miami what it is (or isn't) today and it'smany of the people who are making up this city now being the ones to thank for the way it is, or has become.

The ME generation, the WHY generation and the MY generation have a lot to do with it, and it seems the three have all been rolled up in to one these days. The ME generation only thinks about themselves, it's all about them. The WHY generation questions everything and follows nothing. And the MY generation are the ones you want it and make sure they get it, no matter what.

The way many of the kids are being brought up these days is disgusting, and those parents who are raising these kids, future residents of Miami, well, you can just imagine what's to come. Many of these children will become THE PEOPLE of Miami. Lord help us all! And the parents raising these kids are just as bad. I've never seen so many people make excuses for poor behavior when their children do wrong, I've never seen people bail their children out of every situation as I do today, never seen so many people not make their children responsible for their actions - need I say more (you know there's more, don't you).

My parents didn't raise me like this, and I did not raise my children like that either. Neither of my kids wanted to live in Miami after graduating college and have moved to other states. So has my nephew. Good luck to those who, like myself, have stuck it out over the many years of living here. I for one decided it was time for a change, for the good.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
I have to stay here in Miami for some reason.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 AM

60 posts, read 96,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
To answer the OP's question - I am from Miami, born and raised and living here all my (almost) 50yrs of living, never anywhere else (ti next month when I leave the state) I think I qualify as being a "true Miamian" with this background

You asked: I don't know what you guys expect from a city. and where are most of you from

It's not so much of what I expect out of a city, it's what I expect out of the people who live in the city and make up the dynamics of the city.

Miami USE to be a wonderful place to live. What made it that way, THE PEOPLE! What's happened over the years that's made it worse, THE PEOPLE.

People use to have manners, consideration, patience, morals, standards and a conscience. People use to be family orientated, community orientated and many, spiritually orientated. Many people where happy to help others, it wasn't always about me-me-me as it is today.

It's the people, the society, that's made Miami what it is (or isn't) today and it'smany of the people who are making up this city now being the ones to thank for the way it is, or has become.

The ME generation, the WHY generation and the MY generation have a lot to do with it, and it seems the three have all been rolled up in to one these days. The ME generation only thinks about themselves, it's all about them. The WHY generation questions everything and follows nothing. And the MY generation are the ones you want it and make sure they get it, no matter what.

The way many of the kids are being brought up these days is disgusting, and those parents who are raising these kids, future residents of Miami, well, you can just imagine what's to come. Many of these children will become THE PEOPLE of Miami. Lord help us all! And the parents raising these kids are just as bad. I've never seen so many people make excuses for poor behavior when their children do wrong, I've never seen people bail their children out of every situation as I do today, never seen so many people not make their children responsible for their actions - need I say more (you know there's more, don't you).

My parents didn't raise me like this, and I did not raise my children like that either. Neither of my kids wanted to live in Miami after graduating college and have moved to other states. So has my nephew. Good luck to those who, like myself, have stuck it out over the many years of living here. I for one decided it was time for a change, for the good.

Just my 2 cents.
Eldemila-you will not regret leaving that God-awful place (unless you're moving to the rust belt of this country)!

You're absolutely correct on your assessment of the people in Miami, and the ills associated with that city are directly associated as a result of the uneducated, impoverished and "thug-mentality" that a large portion of that population brings from the Third World countries where they emigrate from and pollute what was once a very promising and beautiful city.

I began living the day I decided to leave Miami with my own family in tow and it's been over six years and I've never regretted it for one moment (despite the fact that the majority of my family-parents, brother and in-laws) still reside there.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
From Southern California.
I have never met a single person from southern california who liked it here.
100% of them have moved back. (excluding myself)
My hobbies/interests are such that my only other options are hawaii or become an ex-pat.
I'm into tropical landscapes, coral reefs, tropical plants, tropical asian cuisine using all sorts of asian herbs and such. Maybe one day I'll relocate to Bali or the Philippines.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarreto View Post
Eldemila-you will not regret leaving that God-awful place (unless you're moving to the rust belt of this country)!

You're absolutely correct on your assessment of the people in Miami, and the ills associated with that city are directly associated as a result of the uneducated, impoverished and "thug-mentality" that a large portion of that population brings from the Third World countries where they emigrate from and pollute what was once a very promising and beautiful city.

I began living the day I decided to leave Miami with my own family in tow and it's been over six years and I've never regretted it for one moment (despite the fact that the majority of my family-parents, brother and in-laws) still reside there.

Good luck to you!
I understand, my parents live in the Gables, my only sister 5 nieces live about 4 miles from me, and my husbands kids and our new grandbaby live both live about 2 miles away. DH is transferring from his job he's been at for 10yrs. Hard to leave them but know I can always visit. The only thing that's hard is packing up all my crap.

I don't think I will look back, in fact, I'm at the new place now, seeing the beautiful snow, something that's so foreign to me, but loving it! Lots of new things to come. Hate that I have to go back and pack up the house in a few weeks, always hate going back there and back to reality. One more trip....

Congrats for escaping!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
Spot on analysis. It is very much the "me" mentality that has made Miami this way. The place seems to be a haven for self-entitlement and zero respect for others. Unfortunately, people love to brush it off as big city problems, but many of us have lived elsewhere and know that the behavior exhibited here is not normal. It's not one specific group of people either; it can literally be anyone. Bad people seem to be attracted to Miami like flies are attracted to dogs**t. There are good people here too, but they are difficult to seek out and are drowned out by the plethora of idiots.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
We were driving down the street in Ft. Lauderdale looking for the water taxi location. On the map we could see we were getting close to where my husband was supposed to turn onto another street, so he slowed his speed a little. The idiot behind us lay down on his horn. There was another lane right beside us, didn't he know how to change lanes? He preferred to be rude.

When you are in a place you are not familar with it is good to be a little cautious. We were entering an exit ramp that had more than one lane. My husband was in the right and realized he needed to be in the left lane so he slowed a little to check the traffic in the other lane and to move over. Luckily he did not move over immediately because a car blew his horn loudly and rushed past us. Rude.

Unless someone is about to be killed, there is never a reason to blow the horn of a car just because you are inconvenienced a little. To do so is rude.

Note: We have no way of knowing where the drivers came from that did the blowing because they could have been in a rental.

My husband's take on this: "I have not lost a thing in Florida and don't care if I ever go back there."

These horn blowers do not want to go to West Blvd. in Charlotte and drive. LOL They might end up on the news. North Carolina is not a place to be blowing your horn.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:55 PM

420 posts, read 823,320 times
Quote:
I don't think I will look back, in fact, I'm at the new place now, seeing the beautiful snow, something that's so foreign to me, but loving it!
Congrats for escaping!!!
The snow is just awful. I don't know why Floridians like it so much, but it is a complete hindrance. Driving anywhere is a pain, businesses shut down, accidents everywhere, etc.

The grass is always greener on the other side...

Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times
I hate winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami