Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

cixcell, the hostel in Florida City (corrected) is where I rented the canoe to go out to Hell's Bay. Very friendly staff. Might be a bit too far for this young vacationer though. But definitely a place I would recommend to others.

OP, you do need to be careful because people love to prey on others and the younger you are, the more they will prey. As I said earlier, it is possible to find these places but you must be wise about it, you can't just jump on the first one you see. You can find them, just be careful.

Are you going to be alone here in Miami? I don't recommend that whatsoever. At least bring someone with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
yeah i love the everglades hostel. very friendly people. quite an anomaly. whenever we had hurricanes we always checked in on them to make sure they were ok. same with robert is here fruitstand.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
yeah i love the everglades hostel. very friendly people. quite an anomaly. whenever we had hurricanes we always checked in on them to make sure they were ok. same with robert is here fruitstand.
Did you ever visit that Mexican restaurant near the hostel, (might have even been across the street)? We went there after canoeing and maybe it's because we were exhausted and famished by MAN I have not tasted Mexican food that delicious even when I lived on the west coast. (Of the US, NOT Florida.)

About two years ago I decided to visit Robert Is Here fruitstand but every single time I went it was closed. I suppose it's reopened now?

Sorry, OP, to get off topic. Have you had any luck in your search?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
the mexican food is good but i feel its more on the central american influenced side or some sort of regional difference. i was born and raised on great mexican food (my grandmother is full blooded mexican) so i'm spoiled.
robert is here is usually closed in august/september. its always open during the winter where it becomes a snowbird mecca.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 22,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Wow, talk about an ill-advised idea!

Oh yeah, that should be doable. I'm sure you can find plenty of people in South Florida who would love to nice a nice young teenager stay over at their home. And yeah, no one in Miami is gonna worry about YOU being a creepy person Goldilocks.

When I was 19 walking down the streets of MB I had all kinds offers from people who wanted me to sleep over at their place. Some even said girls would be there. Others offered to put me in movies. Some offered beer and drugs. Still others offered me money - lots of money!

I say just go on down to Miami and stand on Biscayne Blvd with a sign that says "Need a place to stay." I'll bet someone will pick you up within 15 minutes.

Dude, Miami is not Mayberry. If you can't even get into a hostel, don't go.
No need for the belittlement. Anyways, despite your negative views I have found a place to stay. A family on couch surf with 2 daughters who are close to my age so I'm not worried at all. They spoke to my parents as well but thanks for the heads up I guess.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 22,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
cixcell, the hostel in Florida City (corrected) is where I rented the canoe to go out to Hell's Bay. Very friendly staff. Might be a bit too far for this young vacationer though. But definitely a place I would recommend to others.

OP, you do need to be careful because people love to prey on others and the younger you are, the more they will prey. As I said earlier, it is possible to find these places but you must be wise about it, you can't just jump on the first one you see. You can find them, just be careful.

Are you going to be alone here in Miami? I don't recommend that whatsoever. At least bring someone with you.
I'm staying with a family, my parents won't let me stay there alone.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrix View Post
No need for the belittlement. Anyways, despite your negative views I have found a place to stay. A family on couch surf with 2 daughters who are close to my age so I'm not worried at all. They spoke to my parents as well but thanks for the heads up I guess.
Congratulations and I hope you have a great time while you're here. What I meant by "are you going to be here alone" was, don't go out alone. Since the family has two daughters near your age, always go somewhere with one of them.

Anyway, again, good news and have a blast!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:58 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Like I said, Just use and trust your instincts in Miami. There are a lot of good people there, but you still have to be on top of your game! Frankly I envy you! I wish I were going to Miami now! Have you ever been to a tropical place before? You're going to go bananas when you get off the plane and feel that tropical air, ---- and spot your first coconut palms!!!!!! Too Cool!!!!!!!

I kind of like the second picture in this set because it's properly representative of how extraordinarily bright the South Florida sun is. Those web cams have an automatic light filter that kicks in when the light gets too bright, to keep the images from getting washed out so when a cloud passes and the sun starts to get bright again that's when I like to do a screen capture (shift prtscrn) because you get the most dramatic lighting.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vangrix View Post
Sorry if I came across coarse. Hope your trip is wonderful. Do be careful though. Miami looks like paradise, but it isn't exactly.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
I was going to say stay at the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNpTS9Bg2U8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami