Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I don't think people know who Alonso is, at least I never heard of him until yesterday.
Are you serious??????????????????????????????????????

I do not even like basketball and I know very well who he is.

Not only was he successful at the game, his off court life is successful as well. If only every player (and non players) could take some things from it all.

His kidney transplant and his bounce back from it was amazing and it is an inspiring story for people, just as Armstrong's cancer and his return to cycling is inspirational.

If you follow any politics, you would have heard of him, Obama was in town a while back and visited him for a fund raiser.

Last edited by boxus; 03-27-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I don't think people know who Alonso is, at least I never heard of him until yesterday.
I speculate you are quite incorrect on this issue my friend.

Alonzo Mourning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-27-2011, 03:28 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Obviously, US1 through downtown Miami and and especially Brickell need to be more pedestrian friendly. Maybe there should be 10-ft posters of Alonso Mourning in front of every crosswalk, pointing at the crosswalk and reminding drivers to yield to pedestrians. What do you all think?
Not a bad idea. Might also be a good idea for Florida to pass a law requiring people to stop for pedestrians waiting at crosswalks (excluding those at intersections with stoplights) like several other states have.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:27 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
As a Heat fan I can tell you that what Alonzo Mourning did doesn't surprise me at all! He truly is a class act all the way around! He carries himself as a gentleman on and off the court. He holds basketball camps for inner city youths and does a lot of charitable work and has given a lot back to Miami and the community. You only hear about NBA stars when they get into trouble so it's nice to hear stories like this!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
I have to wonder, if a random, non-celebrity did this, would the cars all have stopped instantly and cheered? Me thinks not. I imagine we would have more stories like the poster who did the same but the jerk went around and ran over the ducks. It is a shame how people in Miami bow to the famous but if you're a nobody you are totally invisible.

I hope more celebrities do random acts of kindness and civility and I hope some of it wears off on the locals.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
Lebron should learn from him
Lebron doesn't care about anyone else other than himself and getting more endorsement money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: