Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:51 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times

Advertisements

i always lived within a few miles of the beach. it was never brown and hazy because all that gets blown inland.
what you do get though is overcast. i hate the marine layer. may gray, june gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
amen to that.

LA to miami. don't just don't. every person ive known from LA has hated miami and moved back or somewhere else. pretty much only people from latin america or europe like it here.
Pretty unpopular Miami is,only Latin America and another continent has an appeal, I guess LA people don't like the fresh clean air and blue skies of Miami.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM

nah its the same gripe new yorkers have that nothing works properly / they cant rely on anyone / things dont function reliably / scammers and con artists. the list goes on. these are THEIR words. i know a guy from LA who was really happy to be fired just so he could go back.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:25 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Moving from a brown haze city to a clear blue sky city is worth the move right there.
That kind of statement was true in the 1970's but is not very accurate today. The air is much cleaner than 30 or 40 yrs ago...though there is still work to be done.

Much of the "haze" of LA is a natural effect of sea basin against mountain chain. The Spanish settlers circa the late 1700's made notes of it when there were no cars or factories.

And thanks to Calfirornia for its strict tailpipe emissions standards....places like Miami are cleaner than they would be without such cutting edge technology in our cars.

Downtown LA with snow capped mountains. No air brushing needed.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM

420 posts, read 823,554 times
If I had the chance I'd stay in LA. Bigger city with topographic diversity, more to explore, a variety of good food and various cultures, plus SoCal is awesome. I've only briefly been in SoCal but I enjoyed it a lot.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
If I had the chance I'd stay in LA. Bigger city with topographic diversity, more to explore, a variety of good food and various cultures, plus SoCal is awesome. I've only briefly been in SoCal but I enjoyed it a lot.

Topography!? Pshhh!!! We've got BUILDINGS and CONDO'S for THAT kind of crap!!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
The keyword here is the adverb briefly, as anyone can enjoy a place in a short time.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM

i loved seattle. i loved the culture but i visited during a heat wave so the weather was an anomaly. i cant stand gloomy gray weather. id shoot myself in short order.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 PM

420 posts, read 823,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
The keyword here is the adverb briefly, as anyone can enjoy a place in a short time.
Nonsense. Miami is like a smaller, less cosmopolitan LA; Less big businesses, less presence of ethnic diversity, more rigid socioeconomic stratification, etc. LA has stuff to offer everyone in terms of finding their niche. As lovely as I think Miami is, it does not have as vast array diversity such as LA.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Miami is like a smaller, less cosmopolitan LA; Less big businesses, less presence of ethnic diversity, more rigid socioeconomic stratification, etc. LA has stuff to offer everyone in terms of finding their niche. As lovely as I think Miami is, it does not have as vast array diversity such as LA.
I can agree with that statement. LA has nearly everything you could want except the tropics and a Caribbean vibe, but culturally it is an all inclusive city. It is by far the most complete city I've ever been to, and you really feel like you're in the hub of the universe when you're there, since nearly all our shows are filmed there.(well, that's not so much the case anymore)

There are areas where all the signs are in Hebrew, and there are areas where all the signs are in Armenian. There are Arab communities, Thai communities, Vietnamese and Hmong communities, Korean communities, Russian communities, places where the Christians hang out, places where the Satanists hang out, places where the Wiccans hang out, places where the Buddhists hang out, places where the Hindu's hang out, clubs, raves, punk shows, classical music, underground entertainment, illegal entertainment. It's all there in LA.

The one thing I will really miss when I finally get to Miami is the Cravings Restaurant on Sunset Blvd. They have the best Crab Ravioli that I've ever had at any restaurant, served with a pink lobster tomato bisque cream sauce with fresh basil and served with Bruschetta and an olive tapenade.

With all that said, there is STILL no substitute for Miami. Nothing comes close to the fantastic velvety air and the unbelievable skies and the earthy smell of the vegetation that hangs in the air. The warm ocean water that glows Cerulean blue from beneath. The close access to all the beautiful landmarks in Florida. It's a totally different way of living than in LA. You will sacrifice some museums and some cultural things but you will be on the edge of a new culture that has almost no representation in LA, which is the Caribbean culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami