Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 03:18 PM

119 posts, read 316,741 times

Advertisements

Hi! I currently live in Fort Lauderdale and am so sad to say that I am loosing my job. I have a job offer in Miami Beach but no idea how the cost of living compares. I have a very nice 1/1 in a highrise for $1400. Unfortunately my Miami Beach job is a paycut - so I am hoping to find something for $1300 - $1350.

Is this even possible? I am hoping for a 1/1 in a highrise W/D pet friendly - what are the costs like? Is it very expensive to live near the Lincoln Square? Thanks for any insight - I have only been to Miami Beach twice, I'll be going again soon to look for an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanel24 View Post
Hi! I currently live in Fort Lauderdale and am so sad to say that I am loosing my job. I have a job offer in Miami Beach but no idea how the cost of living compares. I have a very nice 1/1 in a highrise for $1400. Unfortunately my Miami Beach job is a paycut - so I am hoping to find something for $1300 - $1350.

Is this even possible? I am hoping for a 1/1 in a highrise W/D pet friendly - what are the costs like? Is it very expensive to live near the Lincoln Square? Thanks for any insight - I have only been to Miami Beach twice, I'll be going again soon to look for an apartment.
It's possible. I don't know if it will be in a highrise, it could be, but it's possible nonetheless. I paid $1000 for a nice apartment in the Normandy Isles area, (very close to the beach, walking distance), had w/d, dishwasher, courtyard, swimming pool, locked gate, water view of Indian Creek, etc. It wasn't in a high rise though.

You can also find some other places for $800-900 but you will probably not have all of the amenities you want and they tend to have...not BAD neighbors but these places aren't always "clean" and fresh and new.

My first apartment was like that. I actually really liked the apartment. I didn't like my downstairs loudy loud neighbors though NOR that I lived at an intersection and got to hear every last horn in Miami, EVER.

But, your price range, you should be able to do it. Further up the beach you go from South Beach, the better.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 PM

32 posts, read 69,022 times
Okay I have the same question, because my husband and I might be able to actually afford a high rise apt on South Beach. I was looking at one in particular called "Flamingo South Beach Center Tower", I was estimating maybe 2k for a 1/1 1000sq.ft. Am I correct? They won't give prices on the website. Which has me thinking it may be more expensive than I think.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 AM

Well I answered my own question. It seems you can get a nice 1/1 for as low as 1300 on south beach according to apartment guide. The one I was looking at is about 1500-1800 which is good. But I also see nice apartments mainland that are 1200 with much more square footage. Well anyway, we shall see!
Good thing I am doing my research now!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Check out the reviews on that Flamingo Center...say one who might be a "trip advisor", (ahem), because it doesn't get high marks.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Check out the reviews on that Flamingo Center...say one who might be a "trip advisor", (ahem), because it doesn't get high marks.
Okay, will do GatorMama

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM

From a poster on the trip advisor site 3/23/2011:

"We rented here for a month because we thought it would be very high end. We paid a FORTUNE for our apt (which was beautiful with a great view) becuase we wanted a luxury vacation. Instead the place is crawling with undergrads on spring break...complete with bright colored plastic glasses...screaming drunks by the pool....idiot guys screaming "I LOVE YOU MIAMI" off the balconys. It is completely gross.

No adult should stay here. And by the way..renting here by the week/weekend is illegal. Thats why everything is done in CASH. 1 month is the minimum. Im happy to see they are cracking down on this. A group of 5 guys came in...were found out to be illegal renters...and were refused entry. They lost all their money and were stuck in Miami with no place to stay. Ploice are here all the time because of drugs.

Bottom line: if you are an adult professional stay away because its pretty but is basically a dorm experience in a 4th rate college. If you are a kid on spring break...dont take a risk of loosing your money by renting illegally. If you are Euro-trash coming for a month to do drugs and party.....come, you will love it. "

Hmmm. Not so sure about it now. I would bang my head against a wall if I heard some kid screaming "I LOVE YOU MIAMI" outside the balcony.....

Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,878 times
You definitely don't want to be renting sight unseen in Miami Beach. Incredible variation from building to building and block to block. Maybe spend a few days looking at places. Sometimes there are good deals by walking around, but not so much if you want be in a big highrise. Ask about parking, and be careful if they say "valet parking". You can also work with a real-estate agent if you're not sure, the owner pays the agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami