Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 PM

65 posts, read 232,423 times

Advertisements

To keep it as simple as possible, I'm moving to South Florida to set up a new office (I own a software development company) and I'm looking at several different options on neighborhoods to live in. I'm currently live in Chicago's Gold Coast (for those familiar with Chicago) and would like to have a similar lifestyle.

I've lived in Fort Lauderdale for four years back in 2001 and I'm NOT INTERESTED in the humdrum, mundane, middle class Broward County (not to mention I'll be too close to my inlaws ).

I'm considering Brickell for location reasons, South Beach for lifestyle, or possibly Palm Beach. But, I do wish to be in a large metro and I'm looking at either luxury condos or a penthouse, being high in the air is a must.

Do you have any ideas (natives) as to where I should be considering, or if I'm missing anything?

Thanks for reading this and replying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm60616 View Post
To keep it as simple as possible, I'm moving to South Florida to set up a new office (I own a software development company) and I'm looking at several different options on neighborhoods to live in. I'm currently live in Chicago's Gold Coast (for those familiar with Chicago) and would like to have a similar lifestyle.

I've lived in Fort Lauderdale for four years back in 2001 and I'm NOT INTERESTED in the humdrum, mundane, middle class Broward County (not to mention I'll be too close to my inlaws ).

I'm considering Brickell for location reasons, South Beach for lifestyle, or possibly Palm Beach. But, I do wish to be in a large metro and I'm looking at either luxury condos or a penthouse, being high in the air is a must.

Do you have any ideas (natives) as to where I should be considering, or if I'm missing anything?

Thanks for reading this and replying.
If you are looking into the Gold Coast area as a comparison, I say you should look into the areas or Coral Gables, Pinecrest, parts of Coconut Grove and South Miami. If you want to go coastal or high-rise, look into Bal Harbour and Sunny Isles Beach. Aventura could also be a possibility. Brickell is nice, but you would be surprise at how it is lacking in urbanity, despite its density.

Fort Lauderdale Beach has actually upscaled signifigantly in the past 5 years (it's middle class is actually splitting into the Rich-Poor thing like Miami), but I know what you are looking for. Look into the above.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
If you are looking into the Gold Coast area as a comparison, I say you should look into the areas or Coral Gables, Pinecrest, parts of Coconut Grove and South Miami. If you want to go coastal or high-rise, look into Bal Harbour and Sunny Isles Beach. Aventura could also be a possibility. Brickell is nice, but you would be surprise at how it is lacking in urbanity, despite its density.

Fort Lauderdale Beach has actually upscaled signifigantly in the past 5 years (it's middle class is actually splitting into the Rich-Poor thing like Miami), but I know what you are looking for. Look into the above.
Thank you for the advice, I'd like to stay near the coast and I'm looking at Bal Harbour now and it is AMAZING. Thank you for the advice

Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 PM

199 posts, read 220,286 times
Have you thought about a high rise on Key Biscayne?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
Have you thought about a high rise on Key Biscayne?
I always thought of Biscayne as a bit far from the rest of South Florida, but I'll look into it.

Question, If I got a place in Palm Beach would traffic be treacherous to and from Miami?

Old 10-20-2007, 02:11 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,203,395 times
Quote:
Question, If I got a place in Palm Beach would traffic be treacherous to and from Miami?
Well the only place I would consider in Palm Beach county if I had to commute into Miami would be Boca Raton at the southern tip of the county.

If you are considering living in "Palm Beach" where the Donald and all the multi-millionaires and billionaires live and commute into Miami I'd say you are out of your &$$%$ mind.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
Well the only place I would consider in Palm Beach county if I had to commute into Miami would be Boca Raton at the southern tip of the county.

If you are considering living in "Palm Beach" where the Donald and all the multi-millionaires and billionaires live and commute into Miami I'd say you are out of your &$$%$ mind.
I don't know about the crazy idea, but I do know the COO of a hedge fund on Brickell that lives in Boca and he's been handling the drive quite well it seems. Anybody have an idea on how long the commute would be?

Old 10-20-2007, 03:35 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,203,395 times
1 hour on a good day, 2+ on a bad day

I'd say average would be 75-90 minutes

Old 10-20-2007, 06:03 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
1 hour on a good day, 2+ on a bad day

I'd say average would be 75-90 minutes

you're right.....I know Chicago is a long stretch of urban area, but the South Florida urban strip was ranked 2nd longest behind the New York urban strip.....Palm Beach to Miami is not a drive you would want to make everyday....too much stress of getting there on time and traffic hassels at that distance for everyday travel

Old 10-20-2007, 11:16 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,057 times
It depends on where in Palm Beach you're considering... are you referring to the county as a whole or the city of Palm Beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami