Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 11:21 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,320,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Why do we have to respect this country & it's culture when apparently many have disdain for hispanic culture to begin with?
That's the American way. All of the European immigrants before you got the same treatment. It's a way of fostering cohesion.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
That's the American way. All of the European immigrants before you got the same treatment. It's a way of fostering cohesion.

----

That was before intercontinental flights and Internet, some 50 years ago.
Not anymore.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:28 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Why do we have to respect this country & it's culture when apparently many have disdain for hispanic culture to begin with? Respect is a two way street and has been reiterated many times on this forum that many hispanics are very well capable of speaking English in Miami unless they happen to be recent immigrants. They choose to engage in a language they feel comfortable speaking in just like previous immigrants that have come to the US.
The fact is that many Americans seem to feel uncomfortable around Spanish speakers for some unknown reason! By the way I'm sure you can go to any Latin American nation and find a fair share of English speaking natives!
----

Miami

That's a remnant of the past. Seventy years ago there was nothing but the United States. Europe and Japan were utterly destroyed and the rest were underdeveloped countries and colonies under the process of emancipation.

Americans, and may immigrants, believed that America was the only nation in the world. That's why many immigrants treated their own countries with disdain.

The world has changed, but not the people that still believe that America is the only cork floating in the sea.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:32 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
South Florida is not for everyone-----a lot of people love the diversity and lifestyle----and a lot of people find it culture shock.

I have been here almost 27 years----so obviously it hasnt been all negative otherwise I wouldnt have been here this long.

It can be difficult for a lot of folks-----the oppressive heat and humidity for around 7 months a year----misguided perceptions that the streets are paved with gold------stifling traffic-----attitudes can be hard to put up with due to the above factors.

Look, any place you live has assets and negatives-----you can adjust or cave in. We have reached the point of retirement, and we are going to relocate as we want a more low key lifestyle, mountains, a dryer climate, and a slightly different mixture of people.

However, to sum up South Florida has been fine---not perfect---but I dont think anyplace is. Dont let people frighten you on the Florida threads. Yes, indeed there are problems down here, but it is up to you to thoroughly investigate a location before you move-----------dont rely on preconceived notions and dont jump to conclusions based on the negative influences of others.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 PM

140 posts, read 269,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofhere77 View Post
No Mr. Pizarrony, I am neither. Every reply that I get to any of my posts from you and the rest of the people that "love" Florida, it just confirms my point.
Just for the record, other than in this thread, I've never replied to any of your posts. And how does what I wrote confirm your point? I think it contradicts your point. Also, I don't "love" Florida. The only city in Florida I could possibly live in is Miami, and there's a reason I don't live in Miami any longer. But although I had reasons to move out of Miami, I was perfectly happy while I was there, and when I stopped being happy, I just moved out. I think a lot of the people in this thread are unjustifiably blaming Miami for their unhappiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofhere77 View Post
Anyway, what I wanted to get across is that a lot of latinos in Miami EXPECT that Americans speak Spanish, and get angry when somebody doesnt because "If you live in Miami you need to speak Spanish"...NO THEY DONT. Miami is part of the United States and as far as I know English is the official language of the United States. I dont eat junk food on a regular basis, I hate Baseball, I dont like football, I like Soccer, but I dont expect my American friends to speak Spanish or like hispanic food, or like soccer just because they live in Miami. Thats what I mean by respecting American culture, but I guess RESPECT is something that a lot of us dont get in Miami too often...
Maybe you were surrounded by jerks when you lived in Miami. Regular people in Miami don't expect that Americans learn Spanish. Where would you get such a ridiculous idea? In fact, regular people in Miami who have less than perfect English are constantly trying to improve their knowledge of the language. That's why so many people attend nightly ESL classes.

For the rest of your post ("Miami is part of the United States"), you are attributing false positions to Hispanics in Miami and then you're proceeding to argue against those positions. In other words, you're constructing what logicians refer to as a straw man fallacy (Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

But thanks for referring to me as Mr.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:09 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post
Just for the record, other than in this thread, I've never replied to any of your posts. And how does what I wrote confirm your point? I think it contradicts your point. Also, I don't "love" Florida. The only city in Florida I could possibly live in is Miami, and there's a reason I don't live in Miami any longer. But although I had reasons to move out of Miami, I was perfectly happy while I was there, and when I stopped being happy, I just moved out. I think a lot of the people in this thread are unjustifiably blaming Miami for their unhappiness.

Maybe you were surrounded by jerks when you lived in Miami. Regular people in Miami don't expect that Americans learn Spanish. Where would you get such a ridiculous idea? In fact, regular people in Miami who have less than perfect English are constantly trying to improve their knowledge of the language. That's why so many people attend nightly ESL classes.

For the rest of your post ("Miami is part of the United States"), you are attributing false positions to Hispanics in Miami and then you're proceeding to argue against those positions. In other words, you're constructing what logicians refer to as a straw man fallacy (Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

But thanks for referring to me as Mr.
Good post by the way .... funny I do love Florida and have no qualms about admitting it ... I just do not love Miami Dade County ... funny how everyone has different opinions ... you are correct though many dysfunctional posters on here who blame Florida or Miami for all of their ills .

Old 08-16-2011, 02:13 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
South Florida is not for everyone-----a lot of people love the diversity and lifestyle----and a lot of people find it culture shock.

I have been here almost 27 years----so obviously it hasnt been all negative otherwise I wouldnt have been here this long.

It can be difficult for a lot of folks-----the oppressive heat and humidity for around 7 months a year----misguided perceptions that the streets are paved with gold------stifling traffic-----attitudes can be hard to put up with due to the above factors.

Look, any place you live has assets and negatives-----you can adjust or cave in. We have reached the point of retirement, and we are going to relocate as we want a more low key lifestyle, mountains, a dryer climate, and a slightly different mixture of people.

However, to sum up South Florida has been fine---not perfect---but I dont think anyplace is. Dont let people frighten you on the Florida threads. Yes, indeed there are problems down here, but it is up to you to thoroughly investigate a location before you move-----------dont rely on preconceived notions and dont jump to conclusions based on the negative influences of others.
I agree with your post ... good one but remember this is the Miami forum and I would suspect many people who live in many areas of Broward , Palm Beach or Martin Counties would be like fish out of water in Miami Dade .... I lived in Weston and now in Parkland and I feel like I am in a different state when I get home after having flown into and driving from Miami International Airport .. other places like Stuart , Jupiter or Juno Beach feel like another world . I suspect you lived in Palm Beach County most of your 27 years down here ?

Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 PM

309 posts, read 619,783 times
Quote:
mountains, a dryer climate,
funny, i sold my house in the Rocky Mountains, gorgeous as it was up there - cause i looked around one day at what i thought were senior citizens and found out they were all only in their 40's and 50's. i was HORRIFIED at what the lack of humidity does to the skin - relatively young folks looked like old wizened dried-up apple dolls and they weren't yet even 50 .

Conversely, I noticed when living in Hawaii, that the seniors still had plump, juicy smooth skin & lustrous hair ... and i had the epiphany that humidity is our FRIEND. lol. i left Colorado and came back to the humid life and the sea air without a look back. I still enjoy a visit to CO or AZ but i'm never again gonna live in a place where i'll wither up and blow away before i'm 55....

Last edited by catt6; 08-16-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt6 View Post
funny, i sold my house in the Rocky Mountains, gorgeous as it was up there - cause i looked around one day at what i thought were senior citizens and found out they were all only in their 40's and 50's. i was HORRIFIED at what the lack of humidity does to the skin - relatively young folks looked like old wizened dried-up apple dolls and they weren't yet even 50 .

Conversely, I noticed when living in Hawaii, that the seniors still had plump, juicy smooth skin & lustrous hair ... and i had the epiphany that humidity is our FRIEND. lol. i left Colorado and came back to the humid life and the sea air without a look back. I still enjoy a visit to CO or AZ but i'm never again gonna live in a place where i'll wither up and blow away before i'm 55....
I see a lot of grizzled, dried up people in Florida too. But it's probably from being in the sun too long and taking too much methadone.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM

95 posts, read 160,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Actually, the US has no "official" language. Other countries (Canada, Switzerland) manage to do well enough by having 2 or more languages that are mainstream. Spanish is a very useful language to know, as South American countries are becoming more developed and wealthier. Either learn Spanish, or be left behind. I choose to learn Spanish as it's a beautiful language anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami