Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
I went through Andrew and I'd still rather be in a hurricane than an earthquake. Time to prepare is a big +++ for me. I don't like surprises. And don't major earthquakes have months of aftermath too?
Not sure about months ... but you can have aftershocks for several days after an earthquake .

Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,901,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Not sure about months ... but you can have aftershocks for several days after an earthquake .

I thought the op was referring to cleanup aftermath which I assume would be a pita in both situations.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times
I moved the end of February after living in Miami my entire life, just over 49yrs. I've wanted to move for many, many years but family, kids, jobs kept me from taking the leap. When my kids were little I said I would move when they graduated HS. My youngest graduated college last year, so I was delayed a little with my intentions, and plans.

I did a lot of research on the area I wanted to move to, visiting multiple times, asked questions on this website, really, looked at as much information I could. I couldn't be happier!

What made me move, basically all the reasons the original OP has, and then some. Being that I have been here a longgggg time, definitely longer than the OP, I know Miami for many years and don't like the Miami it's become, and the people who now make up the city. It no longer is The City Beautiful as far as I'm concerned. I found a new city beautiful, one where most people still have character, morals, respect, manners and are friendly. They are not all out for themselves, like they are in and they know how to drive. It's definitely a different way of life, and I've embraced it. You could not get me back to Miami for more than a few days visit, and even that I don't look forward to.

It was a big step for me to leave the only place I've ever called home, but I'm so happy I took the leap and did what I've been saying I would do for so many years, and I don't regret it for one moment.

Best of luck wherever you may go!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I already moved. I lived in S. FL for 6 years.

My reasons were as follows:

Heat/humidity...worse than I thought. My bad.

But, the main reasons were, as you listed:

"road rage, crazy drivers, ignorant people, rudeness, superficiality, high cost of living, and low wages"

I'm out, it's so much more peaceful where I am, so much cooler..in fact, I hear, periodically over this summer, locals complaining about the humidity and I jerk back in surprise, "What humidity?!?!?"

Instead of 99% of the people being angry, rude and aggressive, with 1% being decent, it's 1% being angry, rude and aggressive and 99% being decent if not downright friendly as hell.

Cost of living is SO MUCH lower here but the wages are higher for the same type of jobs. And superficial? hahahahaha, that does not exist here. Everyone is mellow, laid back and "down to earth", (as much as I hate that phrase).

Refreshing.
And when you dig out of the 54 inches of snow next winter, you'll see just how angry, rude, crazy and ignorant some Mainers can be. You ARE talking about Maine, right?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
in third world countries i agree with you but we're comparing california to florida here. i guess we'll just agree to disagree.
California is quickly becoming a third world country...

Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
California is quickly becoming a third world country...
quality of life hasnt decreased anywhere near as fast as it has here in south florida in this recession.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 PM

796 posts, read 1,844,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I moved the end of February after living in Miami my entire life, just over 49yrs. I've wanted to move for many, many years but family, kids, jobs kept me from taking the leap. When my kids were little I said I would move when they graduated HS. My youngest graduated college last year, so I was delayed a little with my intentions, and plans.

I did a lot of research on the area I wanted to move to, visiting multiple times, asked questions on this website, really, looked at as much information I could. I couldn't be happier!

What made me move, basically all the reasons the original OP has, and then some. Being that I have been here a longgggg time, definitely longer than the OP, I know Miami for many years and don't like the Miami it's become, and the people who now make up the city. It no longer is The City Beautiful as far as I'm concerned. I found a new city beautiful, one where most people still have character, morals, respect, manners and are friendly. They are not all out for themselves, like they are in and they know how to drive. It's definitely a different way of life, and I've embraced it. You could not get me back to Miami for more than a few days visit, and even that I don't look forward to.

It was a big step for me to leave the only place I've ever called home, but I'm so happy I took the leap and did what I've been saying I would do for so many years, and I don't regret it for one moment.

Best of luck wherever you may go!
We left Miami a year ago so I could take a job in Texas. We can live here on my income alone...not mega-rich, but we want for nothing. I couldn't do that in Miami. I also grew up in Miami and it was tough to leave part of my family there, but life here is so much better. I miss my family and the ocean...and that's about it.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
We left Miami a year ago so I could take a job in Texas. We can live here on my income alone...not mega-rich, but we want for nothing. I couldn't do that in Miami. I also grew up in Miami and it was tough to leave part of my family there, but life here is so much better. I miss my family and the ocean...and that's about it.
I don't even miss the ocean, just it's breezes, but I do miss my family and friends. On a good note though, my parents summer just over an hour away so I get to see them from mid June til mid Oct. Friends and family would visit us down in MIA and hit the beaches, now, they are coming to visit and hit the mountains.

I agree, life is definitly better out of Miami and I'm happy to have made the move

Old 08-02-2011, 07:07 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
quality of life hasnt decreased anywhere near as fast as it has here in south florida in this recession.

cixcell I was out there with family less than two months ago and although I love Southern California .... a lot of residents are not lovin it and they will tell you quality of life has deteriorated rapidly ..... although drivers are not as maniacal and people are a little more civil .... So Cal and So Fla share many of the same problems .... San Antonio and Austin , Texas are becoming their versions of Northern Florida or North Carolina ... those cities in Texas seem to be the new "nirvana " for Los Angelenos especially .. so do not kid yourself .

Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
cixcell I was out there with family less than two months ago and although I love Southern California .... a lot of residents are not lovin it and they will tell you quality of life has deteriorated rapidly ..... although drivers are not as maniacal and people are a little more civil .... So Cal and So Fla share many of the same problems .... San Antonio and Austin , Texas are becoming their versions of Northern Florida or North Carolina ... those cities in Texas seem to be the new "nirvana " for Los Angelenos especially .. so do not kid yourself .
i talk to my parents weekly out there. all my friends and relatives are out there. whats your point. theyre complaining about nothing. ok so they shut down certain sections of stores and stuff. its not like parts of miami where theyve gone slack on landscaping maintenance. the police enforcement will ALWAYS be better than miami and that counts for ALOT. also when a huge percentage of your population arent crooks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami