Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times

Advertisements

It is a ghost town. Maybe I'm wrong but I think part of the problem is the businesses that rent there, too boring and expensive. Also more shade trees like in Miiracle Mile are needed if you want to make a Miami street walkable. I think Miracle mile has the perfect setting but the wrong businesses(too ecpensive) while south Miami has the right businesses but lacks condos and shade trees.

Dadeland has the advantage of being close to metrorail but the walk from the station to the mall should be more pedestrian friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
The apartments are too expensive, when you can live a block away for $500 less a month. The whole development is boxed in, with US 1 on one side/the Metro, and Kendal drive on the other side. It is a small enclave, with over priced stores, yuppy eatieng places.

When will developers realize that the myth of the wealthy young, chic trendy Miami person is really a myth? Most people I knew in Miami were getting along at jobs making less than $40,000 a year.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:49 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The apartments are too expensive, when you can live a block away for $500 less a month. The whole development is boxed in, with US 1 on one side/the Metro, and Kendal drive on the other side. It is a small enclave, with over priced stores, yuppy eatieng places.

When will developers realize that the myth of the wealthy young, chic trendy Miami person is really a myth? Most people I knew in Miami were getting along at jobs making less than $40,000 a year.
Those people are not the myth. (look at midtown, brickell, Design District) They just all live in Brickell/Downtown, Midtown or Miami Beach. If I have enough money to live downtown or in Miami Beach why in the world would I pay the same or maybe a little less than live near Dadeland. (assuming prices are high like you say)

Dadeland is trying to turn into an edge city. I think DC has some great examples of what Dadeland is trying to do. The problem I see with it is people do not use public transit in Miami like they do in DC. I think with time it will come but while Downtown continues to grow and develop the type of people would would want to live in an urban edge city like that Dadeland area could become, would rather move right into downtown. In places like DC downtown is very expensive, impossible to have a car etc.. Miami is not there yet and I don't see that really happening for another 10 years or so. But still public transit needs to get better. Rails! Not buses.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:47 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
I think Downtown Dadeland will be much more attractive when we have a rail connection to Miami Beach and also Brickell rents go up, up, up. I can also see it becoming popular with UM students with roomates.

If you extrapolate the trend in South Florida insurance rates and maintenance costs, along with general lack of income growth, having a car get's really expansive in the next 5 to 10 years...not to mention I cannot even begin to imagine what US1 traffic will be like in 5-10 years!

Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Thank you for a dose of reality. The Finance Insurance Real Estate economy will collapse, taking the yuppies with it. Miami is the region of pretenders. Who in the world wants to live on the Williamson Cadillac site with a view of a mall and US-1? If I had a good paying job I would be a mile west in a home with a nice 1 acre lot.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I think Downtown Dadeland will be much more attractive when we have a rail connection to Miami Beach and also Brickell rents go up, up, up. I can also see it becoming popular with UM students with roomates.

If you extrapolate the trend in South Florida insurance rates and maintenance costs, along with general lack of income growth, having a car get's really expansive in the next 5 to 10 years...not to mention I cannot even begin to imagine what US1 traffic will be like in 5-10 years!
With no income growth and inflation expect rents to go down, down down.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Thank you for a dose of reality. The Finance Insurance Real Estate economy will collapse, taking the yuppies with it. Miami is the region of pretenders. Who in the world wants to live on the Williamson Cadillac site with a view of a mall and US-1? If I had a good paying job I would be a mile west in a home with a nice 1 acre lot.
This type of place is not meant for people who would want to live or can afford a home. It is meant for young professionals. The problem is right now they can just live in Downtown or Miami Beach. Why live out in the suburbs for no reason. Some people prefer apartments to homes also of course.

Quote:
With no income growth and inflation expect rents to go down, down down.
Well for now rents have been going up the lat two years. Demand might not be increasing a lot but supply has been decreasing. I think rents may go down again if supply comes up too quickly which it might with some new buildings. But Downtown and Brickell population has only been going up, up up, more people the higher the rent.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
LOL...you'd need more than just a "good" paying job to get a acre a mile west of Dadeland. Even a quarter acre. Homestead, perhaps?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
LOL...you'd need more than just a "good" paying job to get a acre a mile west of Dadeland. Even a quarter acre. Homestead, perhaps?
don't bother since he still "lives" in 1950s Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami