Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,267 times

Advertisements

I agree with pslhomie 90% but think that EVERYBODY on Calusa Club Dr who is adjacent to the golf course deserves a voice since we all have a golf view and the daily traffic. I cannot believe how much traffic we have gotten lately. Since the late 90s I remember it was so quiet and peaceful, now with the construction boom especially in W. Kendall, so many people (including the Calusa Elementary parents) cut through our neighborhood it during mornings and late afternoons.

I also think that Calusa must be private. Any serious investment plan/property is almost always private. If the government runs it, something bad is bound to happen. Calusa should stay a golf course but get a serious manager who is willing to finally make it nice and run efficiently. Ever since the 90s, Calusa was in financial trouble. Remember "University Golf Course," that was a disaster. And it only became worse once the clubhouse became a trailer after the banquet hall/restaurant was demolished.

I really wish Bacardi would just sell the golf course since he is so useless in managing it and sell it to a serious developer who can make an upscale course. Our property values would skyrocket, we would have a beautiful view, a welcoming and well-known neighborhood, security, landscaping master plan, etc. And maybe one nice restaurant/banquet hall. But I really doubt this idea can exist so far west in W. Kendall. The majority of the high income near Calusa is in 33156/33176 and I doubt they would want to travel out to Calusa when there are nicer courses in Gables/Pinecrest/Key Biscayne/etc. But still, im sure we would love it.

I can't believe Miami-Dade code compliance hasn't fined Bacardi thousands for the current conditions of the "golf course."

Lastly, does anyone know the deal with the construction on Killian & 127 Ave where the nursery was. Years back they wanted to build a retirement home, but the overhead power lines scrapped the idea. I wonder if that and the Calusa project were related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 03:42 PM

253 posts, read 434,147 times
I really miss that course, the only local place with a combo of wide open conditions for the driver and a grass practice range. Plus the golf carts with GPS. They gave you easy reference distance to the flag no matter where you hit it. With so many tee boxes in the central area you could tee off wherever it was open and convenient. The starters didn't mind unless it was crowded.

It disgusts me that one greedy dishonest company and one dishonest or ignorant judge can alter the future of the area to this degree.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
The Killian Greens golf course just came on the market for 3.2 million. Here is the link http://webapps2.planetrealtor.com/id...=&sRunSearch=F They must feel that now is the time to sell following the outcome of the Calusa golf course. Another golf course is at risk of bitting the dust. Many knew the ruling on the Calusa golf course would leave a precedence for many other golf courses in Florida to be developed. It would not only affect the Calusa golf course.

I don't believe the judge acted alone. This ruling was too important to be at the hands of just one person. Like I said, it had many legal ramifications that affected not only the Calusa golf course but many golf courses in the state of Florida.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:13 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,864,725 times
I think Mark has been too cheap for years to keep up Killian Greens. I have played there for years and it's a shame because it is a jewel that can be fixed. The greens fees are very fair and could go up as long as he were to put the money back into the course. I would certainly pay extra if it were fixed up. The problem is that he needs to invest but for what ever the reason is he doesn't seem to fully commit. I think it is taxes.

This is a golden opportunity for someone to purchase the course and make it a winner. After all it is the only course open down here that people can afford. Miami used to be the golf mecca but because the county would rather have tax money from houses they do not give tax breaks to keep open businesses that could generate steady income and give people of Miami something to do. Pretty soon everyone will be bored out of their minds.

I hope that someone sees the potential and purchases the place. If I had the money I would do it in a heart beat.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:36 AM

The crying that you always hear about taxes and golf courses is a lie. Golf courses have a substantially lower assessed value than if the land was assessed as residential or commercial.

The Killian Greens golf course pays $17,927 a year in property taxes for 110+ acres including the club house. That is a bargain if you ask me. A large home in Coral Gable or Pinecrest pays more than that. Most businesses pay more than that. 110 acres of agricultural land in Miami-Dade County would pay approximately $11,000 a year and nothing pays less than agricultural land unless you are government or a church which in that case you don't pay anything. So $17,927 for a 110 acre golf course including the club house is more than reasonable.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Well that is apples and oranges. How much tax revenue does a home in Coral Gables produce? What good is a house in Pinecrest if the public can't use it? Golf courses are good for the community. If the course goes under then it sits for years like Calusa providing nothing for the tax payers.

Sure you can build homes on the property but then you have to build more schools, fire departments, add more Police, sewer, water, power and the list goes on and on. There is plenty of land to develop and redevelop but if you don't have recreational spaces or places that provide jobs then everyone loses.

Bad argument you have.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:06 PM

All I am saying is that golf courses pay little in property taxes when compared to other types of properties.

The Calusa golf course did not go under because of high taxes and the Killian Greens golf course is not for sale because of high taxes. Those are just excuses that some golf course owners use to cry wolf.

Eliminating or lowering property taxes on golf courses will not save them. The owners will still want to either develop them or sell them to an entity that wants to develop them. It is all about money. The only thing that will save them is if the courts respect the covenants that were originally put in place to protect them. Thus far we have not seen that taking place.

Last edited by straight shooter; 08-11-2015 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 05:18 AM

Again apples and oranges. Obviously you do not like golf or recreation in general. I can't win so I give up you win.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 AM

15 pages against golf courses being developed and now you say that I am against golf courses and recreation. I just don't get it.

Again, I am simply saying that the excuse of high taxes on golf courses as a reason why they are being sold and developed is not a valid one since golf courses pay little in property taxes to begin with.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
The Killian Greens Golf Course has a strong 99 year covenant (not sure what year their on, I think those homes were built in 69), that nothing can be built on it without an agreement of 75% of certain amount of homes that live within a certain distance of the course.

I suspect the owner is breaking even probably ... they just added foot golf (you use a soccer ball and put it in a giant cup) to the course to drum up more business. It could go back to an over grown mess like it was in the 80s though, if the owner doesn't sell it. As a side note, I've heard asians have been buying courses throughout the South, so maybe someone will pick up Killian Greens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami