Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:18 AM

888 posts, read 887,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
What is "AMERICAN"?
A simple, yet excellent question.

Seriously, is the US culture the way it is today across the 50 states and territories really fantastically great the way it is, no need to change it or evolve it?

Or, is the US culture "better" than all other countries' culture?

Or is the US culture still in transition, where culture is what you make it when you live everyday, adaptable and always evolving. If this is the case, there are no rules, Miami does not have to "conform" to some ideal of an imperfect culture.

If the US were the perfect ideal, I would say that it would be reasonable for Miami to make an attempt to adapt, but not only is US culture imperfect, it leaves so much to be desired in so many ways, that I think that Miami's take on it is actually pretty cool. And for those aspects of the culture that are undesirable, each individual can make the choice whether or not to embody them, since the negative will be subjective and different for each.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 AM

419 posts, read 998,935 times
Miami is fine the way it is.

By the way, not everybody in Miami is an immigrant, so you might want to change the thought of who you call "American"

" American " doesn't only apply to white people born in the United States you can be a Hispanic, a Black, an Asian and still be an " American "

Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
How great of a city would Miami be if its culture was more American? Would Miami be just another Houston/Atlanta/Dallas or more along the lines of NYC/LA? I think the Latin culture is very important to Miami's development, but maybe it's too latin? Even with its problems, and being one of the TOP 5 major young cities in the continental U.S, it's still a major international city, not only to Latin America, but around the world.

It seems like Miami is a big hit or miss: a game-changing type of city that draws worldwide attraction and has major potential, but domestically, it isn't as attractive to people because of its major known flaws, and that maybe b/c of the very strong Latin culture. I'm not saying Miami should be like Seattle culturally, but how great would Miami be if it was more Americanized?

This is the most racist, xenophobic post I have ever seen. Why would Miami being more "american" make it a greater city? Miami has become a greater city over the years due to the huge influx of Latin Americans. Miami was basically a retirement village before the 80's. I don't understand why any American would view Miami as unattractive because of its "Latin culture". That is ridiculous. As an Hispanic, I find that very offensive. Are you basically asking if more people would move to Miami if it became a generic, lame town?? There once was a time in America when all major port cities were FULL of people speaking different languages and this is the case in many cities today. I feel that most people ARE attracted to Miami because of its Latin culture and its unique qualities.

Miami is Miami. NYC is NYC. etc. Cities in this country need to focus on being themselves rather than trying to be like other "better" cities. Changing the ENTIRE CULTURE of a city would change the ENTIRE development of the place, yes. But, Miami would not be Miami without the Latin influence. It would probably be like Talahassee if it never had the great wave of latin immigration.

Also, Boston had a huge Irish immigration wave. Would it be different if it had English instead of Irish? Would Paris be better if it wasn't French? These kinds of questions are ridiculous and of course I am being sarcastic. The point I am trying to make is that it is racist and xenophobic to ask questions like these because language and culture wouldn't magically make Miami a "greater" city. Buenos Aires is "latin" and it is one of the greatest cities in the world. I can't believe anyone would actually think like this...

Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,806 times
Miami has always been different even before the immigration of hispanics, and I prefer it like that. Living in a typical "american" neighborhood gave me anxiety attacks.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Miami is American, 100%.

If by American you mean places like Knoxville, Seattle, and Cleveland, no thanks. And even out of those three, they are all different, just as Miami is different from them.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Miami is in the United States of America, not some third world South American or Caribbean country. So Miami would be better off without all the illegals and ghetto people. Sadly, this is what 90-95% of Miami seems to be consisted of.

Ignorantly, the Miami "lovers" will blast the truth and say it's just a stereotype then go on to say it's not really that bad here, that the city isn't run over by Latins or that it's really beautiful, yada, yada...

Last edited by 90sman; 06-16-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 06:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Assuming the original intent of the question was, "What would Miami look like if there hadn't been a huge wave of immigration from Latin America," I'd say that it'd look something like Tampa or Jacksonville.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
It's not a Miami thing. Back in the 70's, people still had respect, morals, and family values. Miami also wasn't as big of a city as it is today. Those times are gone not only in Miami, but in the rest of the world.
even the 80's has respect, family values and morals and miami was big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami