Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:58 AM

68 posts, read 133,543 times

Advertisements

I have very curly hair and my hair "grows" about 4 times it's size in south Florida weather. Can anyone recommend a salon/stylist that is really talented in cutting curly hair in either Dade or Broward? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:05 PM

Oh..almost forgot. I am not African-american as I know that may make a difference on the stylist. I am caucasion with long curly hair.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
what part of the area do you work or live in? I have naturally curly hair also

Old 06-24-2012, 08:55 AM

I will be working near the Miami Intl airport and I am not sure about living at this point, but I will definitely make a drive if I can find someone good to do my hair! Miami humidity is a killer

Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
I have naturally curly hair. For 20+ years Jim Baldi (J. Baldi) cut my hair. He was terrific! But he passed away....at the age of 80_! I was lost...... I eventually went to an established hair salon near where I live and asked the owner/manager who on her staff knew how to cut curly hair. It has worked out very well. You might also ask someone, whose curly hair you admire, where they get their hair cut. It is not easy. I know.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:31 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
And, you know, the weather being what it is in Miami (and other parts of Florida as well), curly hair can be a real problem if it's not done right. It's great that you dry cut it, many stylists DO NOT get this at all.

But as long as we're on the subject, what do people recommend for frizzies that won't make the hair all slick and greasy? Is there anything, ANYTHING that will solve this problem?

Old 01-06-2015, 08:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,715 times
> But as long as we're on the subject, what do people recommend for frizzies that won't make the hair
>all slick and greasy? Is there anything, ANYTHING that will solve this problem?

I must say, I am very surprised that it works, but I have found using Garnier Fructis Anti-Humidity hairspray to work extremely well for definition that is not crispy and is shiny, and not at all poofy or weighed down. I have not used hairspray since the early 90s, but I happened to have a sample bottle and got desperate one day a few months ago, and it worked so well I ran out of it and had to buy a large can! To make sure it does not look like hairspray, if I spray too much on one section I rub it lightly between my fingers when it dries to make it look natural again. I generally don't use enough to really hold the hair in any position, just enough to very lightly coat it, which seems to make it define and look shiny but still lets it move like normal.

I also use a pea-sized amount of Fekkai Glossing Cream right out of the shower, and that also seems to help a lot - but too much will look like you have a jheri curl ala Lionel Richie circa 1982, so only a tiny bit even for long hair!

Keeping the hair hydrated can help also, like using a homemade deep conditioner from time to time. If the hair is healthy to begin with, you don't have to do to much to it to make it look right when the humidity hits. (DON'T rub it dry with a towel, just pat it and let it air-dry if possible - the rubbing dries it out and damages it.)

DevaCurl Set It Free spray also helps with definition, and smells a bit like lemon cookies. I did not like the rest of that line at all, but the spray worked well.

I get a lot of compliments on my hair, so I guess these things are working for me.

Of course, it will depend on the hair texture of the individual, and the length - not everyone can do exactly the same thing and have it work the same way. But generally the more coarse and kinky the hair, the more moisture you need, which will help it not to be so unruly when the humidity hits.

It was a total nightmare to figure out how to change my routine after moving down from the North. The things I did to make my hair look great up there, all were a total disaster down here! It took a few years of experimenting with different things to find what worked for me. I have also found some curl-focused gels to be ok, but in my case not so great that I was really impressed.

Then again, I encourage my natural curls and don't try to force them straight - for the blow-out people, I'm sure different products will apply.

I try to live as chemical-free a life as possible, but as yet I have found no natural substitute for the hair care. And I just cannot bring myself to go without - I'm sure a lot of people will feel me as to why. Unmanageable hair can cost you hours a day in untangling painful knots and chopping off sections that refuse to listen to reason! It's just not worth the suffering to me... but I'll be happy if I ever find something natural that works as well.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:55 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
But as long as we're on the subject, what do people recommend for frizzies that won't make the hair all slick and greasy? Is there anything, ANYTHING that will solve this problem?
My senior year in high school, I used John Frieda's Frizz Ease and it worked great. But this was in the early 90s, so I don't know if that product is still made. Nowadays, I use just a few drops of natural oils. My hair texture is somewhere between wavy and curly, so I don't really have a problem with frizz that much, only on occasion.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:18 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
My senior year in high school, I used John Frieda's Frizz Ease and it worked great. But this was in the early 90s, so I don't know if that product is still made. Nowadays, I use just a few drops of natural oils. My hair texture is somewhere between wavy and curly, so I don't really have a problem with frizz that much, only on occasion.
You are soooo lucky. Living here in Florida, sometimes it looks as if I have two "sets" of hair. One thicker set close to the scalp, all nicely styled and combed, then this light, frizzy/fluffy nimbus on the surface. Sigh.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,896,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
You are soooo lucky. Living here in Florida, sometimes it looks as if I have two "sets" of hair. One thicker set close to the scalp, all nicely styled and combed, then this light, frizzy/fluffy nimbus on the surface. Sigh.

If you have curly hair, you should stop combing it. Run your fingers through it with conditioner in it in the shower to get out the knots, and let it air dry. Combing or brushing curly hair damages it, and make frizzy and knotting hair far more likely. Like when people use pik combs to make an afro - it makes it MORE frizzy, not less, right? So if that's not the style you're going for, put the brush and comb down, and also be careful about how much high heat you expose your hair to in terms of irons or dryers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: