Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,788 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the area and have no idea where to start looking. We have a 6 year old and want a good school and a nice (safe) neighborhood. We (& our child) are fluent in Spanish and we have lived in South America, so I think we'll be somewhat used to bad driving, the Spanish, etc.

Can anyone recommend neighborhoods/areas with bilingual elementary schools that are somewhat within the commuting area of SOUTHCOM?

I found the link for Springview in Miami Springs. Is that a good area to live? Safe?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
Miami Springs is pretty good. Isnt SOUTHCOM in Doral?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
I believe Southcom is in Doral. If it is Doral would be a nice place to live for you. Rent for years first before you buy. This gives you the opportunity to get to know the area.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,225,440 times
Yes Southcom is in Doral. My husband commute from Homestead to Doral. A good place will be Davie some of his workmate live in Davie.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,673 times
In your quest to find the right neighborhood, I think you'll find the City of Doral to be one of the top, if not the top. It's one of the best run cities in the United States (Have won numerous awards), and more importantly all the schools in Doral are "A" rated schools. It's a 15 square mile city with a population of about 42K, 10 minutes to the Airport and surrounded by shopping malls, restaurants and parks.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:14 AM

358 posts, read 711,050 times
I would recommend either Doral or Miami Springs. There are also areas just to the south of Doral across the Dolphin expressway that are fairly nice too I think. Miami Lakes just to the north might be another area to look at. We live in Doral. It's a great area. I don't know too much about schools though...mine are all toddlers. Miami Springs would be very close. It sits on the north side of the airport. It's an older community. More second generation or even third gen Miami people (unlike Doral and other areas west where most are from somewhere else). There may be a bit more petty crime. But it seems to have more of a community feel. And it's closer to the beach. And the traffic lights along 36th are very forgiving because it's just the airport on the other side, so for me 36th is the ultimate shortcut to get around. If you're in Miami Springs, Doral is very close, so it would be a great commute, especially if can get out of work a few minutes before 5, which is when Doral gets fairly congested with people driving east.

Why the interest in bilingual schools? All of Doral and areas just to the south, spanish is the primary language of 99% of people over the age of about 20 and probably about 50% of kids. Seems like the one place in the US where a bilingual school would be unnecessary (?). Just wondering.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:24 PM

313 posts, read 725,932 times
I love Miami Springs more than Doral because there is less traffic and it more family friendly.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
I love Miami Springs more than Doral because there is less traffic and it more family friendly.
I agree, it is also has less warehouses and commercial retail mixed in with the residential areas.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 AM

380 posts, read 961,943 times
Doral is well put together, it does have some bad traffic though.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,788 times
Yes, Southcom is in Doral, but I had heard not to live in Doral. I am happy to hear some positive comments on here about Doral! (Had heard that there's crime and that the schools weren't so great).

I was looking at bilingual schools so that my son can keep up with his Spanish. He is currently in a full day entirely Spanish program. We speak English at home, so it would be nice if he can continue with it at his new school. It's great that the community is Spanish-speaking, but I'm afraid he'll lose what he's learned if he doesn't use it for part of the day every day.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at the other areas such as Miami Springs and Davie.

Does anyone know anything about Weston or Pembroke Pines? It looks like a longer commute, but people keep recommending the areas.

Last edited by poquitomas; 08-18-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami