Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
If all of Miami was like the coastal areas the prices would be justified, but it ain't. To get an idea of how much of a price rip off Miami is, consider this: Last summer my boyfriend flew down from Texas to see me for the first time. (We were long distance) and we were looking for a cheap motel near where I was living. I looked at a motel in Flagler called "G G Motel." It was 50 dollars per person as opposed to per night, the guy didn't even speak English, and there was no WiFi. We ended up going to Ft. Lauderdale instead, found a place that was 40 PER NIGHT, had WiFi, spoke perfect English and was a 5 minute bus ride, 20 minute walk from the beach, as oppossed to the other one, smack dab in the middle of Miami, far from the beach. Apparently the Miami address means it can be worth 100 a night for me? Umm, no thanks. This time when I drive to Miami in July, I'm not doing motels
Haha! You really must not be from Miami! A motel on Flagler Street called the "G G Motel" without Wifi and they wanted to charge you $50 a person & the clerk didn't speak English? What exactly did you think was going on there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 05:51 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Haha! You really must not be from Miami! A motel on Flagler Street called the "G G Motel" without Wifi and they wanted to charge you $50 a person & the clerk didn't speak English? What exactly did you think was going on there?
I was born in Cuba and lived in Miami since 1996 to 2014. I dun exactly know what you mean by "Not be from Miami." I know what a rip off Miami is, dude. That's just to show you. A decent though not AMAZING motel in Hollywood is more affordable than a totally crappy motel in the middle of Miami. In a normal American city, the one closer to the beach, with WiFi would be more pricy than the one in the middle of town far from the ocean. But Miami is not a normal American city

Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 PM

^ The GG Motel is a Sex Motel as most are on Flagler that is why they charge per person hence the smack symbol. If you are Cuban why are you upset at a minimum wage motel clerk who can't speak English?
I swear this forum is full of Neanderthals.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:19 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
I was born in Cuba and lived in Miami since 1996 to 2014. I dun exactly know what you mean by "Not be from Miami." I know what a rip off Miami is, dude. That's just to show you. A decent though not AMAZING motel in Hollywood is more affordable than a totally crappy motel in the middle of Miami. In a normal American city, the one closer to the beach, with WiFi would be more pricy than the one in the middle of town far from the ocean. But Miami is not a normal American city
As was attempted to explain to you a few posts back: what is at work here is basic urban economics and supply and demand.

You are just one person and while you dislike your adopted hometown of Miami it just so happens to be a major tourist destination as well as the most populous city in So. Florida with a large banking presence. Roughly speaking there are numerous and diverse demand generators at work in Miami. That means even the crappy motels can charge more than the decent motels in more secondary or tertiary cities/areas like Hollywood or Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Solution for South Florida gridlock: Narrower roads, fewer parking spots - South Florida Business Journal

"Related would prefer to build smaller, more affordable condos on Brickell with no parking spaces, or just one space per unit, Rosso said. Now, it must build larger, more expensive units to justify the cost of a parking garage."

It is not just that developers are greedy. The County's minimum parking requirements are preventing developers from building affordable apartments and condos in the City. One spot per unit is plenty, and it's actually too much if there are municipal garages and/or mass transit stations in walking distance. Hence, in the downtown area we have lots of luxury high rises right next to abandoned lots/warehouses, surface parking lots, your occasional run-down 1940's complex. The haves and have-nots and little in between. Oh, and we have way too many cars given the traffic grid and drawbridge situation there. I would love to live in Brickell, but I can't justify paying the higher rent just to have an on-site spa and gym and dedicated parking spot which I don't really need. I suspect there are many likeminded folks (mostly transplants, granted) who just want to be in the City close to work and mass transit but don't care for all the superficial glitz and glamour.

PS, It's the 21st Century--I can use car share to do grocery shopping, and in fact, in many cities Zipcar/Car2g0, ect is incorporated in to residential complexes in lieu of extra parking.

Last edited by hurricaneMan1992; 06-11-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-12-2015, 12:56 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
^ The GG Motel is a Sex Motel as most are on Flagler that is why they charge per person hence the smack symbol. If you are Cuban why are you upset at a minimum wage motel clerk who can't speak English?
I swear this forum is full of Neanderthals.
My boyfriend's not Cuban, he's Texan. He is not a native Spanish speaker. We had plenty of sex in the other motel too Just because I'm Cuban does not mean I tolerate the Miami bull**** of "everyone should speak Spanish instead" or "I won't even make an effort to speak English." Last I checked, this is the United States, Miami or Fargo. I expect every single hotel employee except maybe the cleaning ladies, to know enough English to serve a potential client, especially in an international city like Miami. I didn't know that it was a "sex motel" even then, it's a rip off. Being from Miami doesn't mean I'm gonna know that lol I'm suburban as all hell, I don't know about all that shady crap. I mean, I know it's a shady area but didn't know it was shady exclusive. The Hollywood area was shady too, but it wasn't as bad nor was it as pricy.

So yea, I am from Miami, but I sure as hell don't belong there.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
My boyfriend's not Cuban, he's Texan. He is not a native Spanish speaker. We had plenty of sex in the other motel too Just because I'm Cuban does not mean I tolerate the Miami bull**** of "everyone should speak Spanish instead" or "I won't even make an effort to speak English." Last I checked, this is the United States, Miami or Fargo. I expect every single hotel employee except maybe the cleaning ladies, to know enough English to serve a potential client, especially in an international city like Miami. I didn't know that it was a "sex motel" even then, it's a rip off. Being from Miami doesn't mean I'm gonna know that lol I'm suburban as all hell, I don't know about all that shady crap. I mean, I know it's a shady area but didn't know it was shady exclusive. The Hollywood area was shady too, but it wasn't as bad nor was it as pricy.

So yea, I am from Miami, but I sure as hell don't belong there.
Cubana arrepentida?

Do you need a map back to Tex-Ass?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I think people who are not from South Florida Miami with confuse Miami Beach and Coral Gables, they are not part of Miami the city proper. Most of Miami is middle to lower middle class working class and immigrants from all over the world. Hollywood movies tend to only show the flashy part of South Beach and Star Island. Brickell Ave is really nice thou and thats in Miami but most of Miami proper is working class to outright poor.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I think people who are not from South Florida Miami with confuse Miami Beach and Coral Gables, they are not part of Miami the city proper. Most of Miami is middle to lower middle class working class and immigrants from all over the world. Hollywood movies tend to only show the flashy part of South Beach and Star Island. Brickell Ave is really nice thou and thats in Miami but most of Miami proper is working class to outright poor.
Star Island & South Beach belong to Miami Beach not the city of Miami.The city of Miami (due to Immigrants) proper might be poor but the metro isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami