Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,205 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior in HS this year, and as the title hints, I'm gay and looking into apartments in the Miami area. I already have the school situation figured out (for the first year I'm doing all online courses for the community college where I'm from) so the location doesn't really matter too much. My mom and I were looking at this packet with a bunch of different apartments throughout the county, and one that we liked was the Kendall House Apartments.

I tried to do some research and didn't find much, so I was just wondering what the Pinecrest area is like/what the best spot for a young, gay student like me would be? I'm not really too worried about it, I just wanna make sure I end up in the right part of the city! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Not quite sure how to respond to your question. I have not heard of any lifestyle intolerance in Pinecrest. It isn't exactly a young persons party town, straight or gay.

What are you looking for? Just a place to live or a place to live? Certain activities?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,205 times
Yeah all I'm looking for is a friendly place to live, not to party or anything/activities in particular. I just haven't been anywhere near the area at all and I didn't know if, like, certain parts are considered more lifestyle tolerant than others or if there's anywhere that should be avoided or something.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Pinecrest is an affluent residential area. Close to the falls mall and dadeland mall. I don't see any obvious living issues there. There are intolerant people everywhere so you could always end up with an obnoxious neighbor wherever you go...

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM

32 posts, read 64,336 times
Pinecrest is tolerant, as is most of affluent suburbs like the grove and gables

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM

984 posts, read 4,315,532 times
I don't think you'll have any problems in that area, I've lived there and at least in my experience most people were open minded and proper and tolerant. But if you want something nearer to nightlife and other stuff, it's quite far south from areas with all the action. It's a suburb.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 AM

798 posts, read 1,459,652 times
Only flamboyant homosexuals could be worried about if a neighborhood is safe or not. As long as you act as a man I think every place will be safe for you.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Pinecrest is a nice area, its just not the first place I would think an 18/19 year old gay person would want to move too? There are big gay areas in South florida like Winton Manors, Ft. Lauderdale or South Beach. Your age makes it even harder down here as most bars require you to be 21. So you'll have to figure other ways to meet people since you won't be going through the typical college experience making friends that first year of college in the dorms. You might think about living near UM, so maybe you can make friends with your neighbors. Look into South Miami as well, close to lots of shops and restaurants and UM.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
Should be fine--Pinecrest is a suburb but IIRC that complex is not far from the Dadeland North Metrorail station (so you would have easy access to more happening places).

Old 12-31-2012, 01:51 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmotheylee View Post
My mom and I were looking at this packet with a bunch of different apartments throughout the county, and one that we liked was the Kendall House Apartments.
Pnecrest itself is an affluent suburban residential neighborhood. The further in you go, the more likely you're bound to find mansions and the like. However, that particular apartment complex is located near the border of Pinecrest, where it meets the Dadeland/Kendall neighborhood. The apartment complex is very close to US1, which is one of Miami's main thoroughfares. The fact that you're gay, I don't think it means anything with regard to location. If you're looking specifically for a gay-friendly part of Miami in which to live then I suggest looking into apartment complexes in the South Miami area (which is close to Pinecrest). But be advised that South Miami is NOT a "gay neighborhood". Rather, a decent number of gays and lesbians live there. And of course, you could also look into South Beach which has a sizable gay community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami