Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 AM

82 posts, read 111,659 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are getting close enough to retirement age to consider a second home in a warm winter climate. Miami obviously leaps to mind as a major prospect.

We currently live in Chicago, in the Wicker Park area. Wicker Park is an extremely walkable neighborhood with restaurants, bars, galleries, bookstores, music venues and other amenities all within 10-15 minutes on foot. We love that kind of area and we like cities by nature, so we would like a second home in a neighborhood that's as close to that as possible.

I have been in Miami for the past few days and have been looking around for areas that would fill that bill. In such an area, we would ideally purchase either a single family home (which we prefer) or a condominium (which we could consider), looking for at least 2/2 and at least 1,200 sq ft with a budget in the threes.

I have been around a few neighborhoods and it seems like the ones that are closest to what I'm looking for are Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. I drove through Miami Beach and Brickell, areas a realtor suggested, and while they seem OK, I prefer something less intensely urban and more neighborhoody, with little neighborhood downtowns.

I would love to get any additional suggestions for other neighborhoods that might fit our preferences. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM

9,363 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
My wife and I are getting close enough to retirement age to consider a second home in a warm winter climate. Miami obviously leaps to mind as a major prospect.

We currently live in Chicago, in the Wicker Park area. Wicker Park is an extremely walkable neighborhood with restaurants, bars, galleries, bookstores, music venues and other amenities all within 10-15 minutes on foot. We love that kind of area and we like cities by nature, so we would like a second home in a neighborhood that's as close to that as possible.

I have been in Miami for the past few days and have been looking around for areas that would fill that bill. In such an area, we would ideally purchase either a single family home (which we prefer) or a condominium (which we could consider), looking for at least 2/2 and at least 1,200 sq ft with a budget in the threes.

I have been around a few neighborhoods and it seems like the ones that are closest to what I'm looking for are Coral Gables and Coconut Grove. I drove through Miami Beach and Brickell, areas a realtor suggested, and while they seem OK, I prefer something less intensely urban and more neighborhoody, with little neighborhood downtowns.

I would love to get any additional suggestions for other neighborhoods that might fit our preferences. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
You might add to your list South Miami, east of US 1, around 72nd Street (33143). You might find an old 2/2 around 1200 sq.ft., if lucky around $300 per square foot, though probably in need of repairs, and around $400 per square foot is more likely. However, the average relatively modest home in Coral Gables or South Miami area is around 2,000 sq.ft. and asking prices are around $800,000. Then of course it goes up.

Another possibility is the Roads section (33129), just inland from the southern leg of Brickell, featuring older, smaller single family houses where you might find a 2/2 around 1200 sq.ft. within your budget, perhaps even cheaper. When I say old, I mean like 1920s-1930s year of original construction.

Dadeland and Aventura probably don't work for you because all condos.

You may also try Broward and Palm Beach counties, in particular Delray Beach, a small town, but it offers virtually all of the things on your list within walking distance - plus the beach, and even an annual tennis tournament - if you can find a house, or more likely a townhouse, close to Atlantic Avenue near the intercoastal. I think your size and budget may work there as well.

In all cases, however, be aware of how property taxes, insurance, and HOA fees, if any, work in Florida.

Good Luck!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You might add to your list South Miami, east of US 1, around 72nd Street (33143). You might find an old 2/2 around 1200 sq.ft., if lucky around $300 per square foot, though probably in need of repairs, and around $400 per square foot is more likely. However, the average relatively modest home in Coral Gables or South Miami area is around 2,000 sq.ft. and asking prices are around $800,000. Then of course it goes up.

Another possibility is the Roads section (33129), just inland from the southern leg of Brickell, featuring older, smaller single family houses where you might find a 2/2 around 1200 sq.ft. within your budget, perhaps even cheaper. When I say old, I mean like 1920s-1930s year of original construction.

Dadeland and Aventura probably don't work for you because all condos.

You may also try Broward and Palm Beach counties, in particular Delray Beach, a small town, but it offers virtually all of the things on your list within walking distance - plus the beach, and even an annual tennis tournament - if you can find a house, or more likely a townhouse, close to Atlantic Avenue near the intercoastal. I think your size and budget may work there as well.

In all cases, however, be aware of how property taxes, insurance, and HOA fees, if any, work in Florida.

Good Luck!
Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

These other neighborhoods: do they have the same sort of vibe/walkability as Coral Gables?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
I will second the Roads and will add Shenandoah to it. The "main drag" would be Coral Way (SW 22nd St) which eventually becomes the Miracle Mile in Coral Gables.

Another area that might be of interest is Coconut Grove, though you do have to watch out as there is a bad area known as "West Grove" which is roughly between SW 32nd Ave to the east, US 1 to the west, Main Highway to the south (although really south of Grand and north of Main does get considerably better than the area between US 1 and Grand) and US 1 to the north.

You will most likely not find a single family in your price range in South Miami or Coral Gables but there's no harm in looking because both areas would also suit you.

Try looking in the 33145 zip code.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,767 times
I lived in the Roads and I agree with what people said, but that would depend of the specific point in the neighborhood (some locations will have things right nearby, others will take a 15-20 min. walking to begin to enter an area with stores, amenities, etc.) Also it's not a cheap (at all) neighborhood and it's not really great - burglaries are commonplace. But overall nice and safe enough.

Also gangs and drugs are putting the whole Coral Way area on decline - it's still good enough though, mostly safe as well definitely.

I'd second Coconut Grove (the good area, as Coconut1 well described) and definitely take a look at the Miracle Mile area of Coral Gables; it may be expensive and has mostly apt. bldgs., but it's great and you have everything nearby and very safe (one of the best P.D.s in the County). Aventura another good option and probably slightly less expensive than the Gables.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Check out Surfside. Lots of single family homes and a little downtown district. AND it is very very close to the beach. you can walk right to the beach. I think it fits what you are looking for really well and having the beach right there is a big plus. I would also reccomend South Miami, and the areas you already mentioned.

Also you should go ahead and take a look at Broward and Palm Beach. They have towns which are filled with people like you who want a second home which have their own small downtown districts.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,323,192 times
I think they're a little late on Surfside. You could buy a 3/2 single family just a few blocks from the beach back in 2010 for in the $300's but prices have practically doubled since then. The hidden gem of Miami-Dade has become noticed a lot more.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Another area that might be of interest is Coconut Grove, though you do have to watch out as there is a bad area known as "West Grove" which is roughly between SW 32nd Ave to the east, US 1 to the west, Main Highway to the south (although really south of Grand and north of Main does get considerably better than the area between US 1 and Grand) and US 1 to the north...
Funny thing, my wife and I took a big walk, from Miracle Mile to 27th Ave, turned right to Coconut Grove, then walked along Grand Ave to get back to Ponce, and yeah, it did get sketchy in a hurry! We got a couple of looks because we didn't look like locals, but we also got a nod hello from a teenage boy passing us on a bike, and a cheery "thank you" when we moved over for a lady passing from behind us on her bike. So it was all good. Althpugh I'm pretty sure I won't be looking for a winter home around that neighborhood.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Miami now a days really isn't a retirement place anymore (The Villages in Central Florida or the west coast of Florida is considered more the retirement parts of Florida for the Midwest). I will agree with the others, I think Surfside and Aventura are your best bets for a more walkable retirement area. Though Aventura really doesn't have that "Little neighborly feel". Like Surfside, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables and South Miami have. Key Biscayne is a good place for older people to retire, plenty of high rises, parks, the beach, a grocery store near by you can take your golf cart too. Not a lot of shopping though.

Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are walkable if you live near downtown Coral Gables or Coconut Grove, other wise most of Coral Gables and Coconut Grove isn't all that walkable (mostly residential with no sidewalks). While the Roads is a nice area, it is a younger area in my opinion. South Miami is walkable as well as long as you live with in a few blocks.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM

984 posts, read 4,316,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Miami now a days really isn't a retirement place anymore (The Villages in Central Florida or the west coast of Florida is considered more the retirement parts of Florida for the Midwest). I will agree with the others, I think Surfside and Aventura are your best bets for a more walkable retirement area. Though Aventura really doesn't have that "Little neighborly feel". Like Surfside, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables and South Miami have. Key Biscayne is a good place for older people to retire, plenty of high rises, parks, the beach, a grocery store near by you can take your golf cart too. Not a lot of shopping though.

Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are walkable if you live near downtown Coral Gables or Coconut Grove, other wise most of Coral Gables and Coconut Grove isn't all that walkable (mostly residential with no sidewalks). While the Roads is a nice area, it is a younger area in my opinion. South Miami is walkable as well as long as you live with in a few blocks.
Yeah, you should consider here as well (Key Biscayne), it is probably nearly as good and as safe as it will get anywhere in the County, but it is generally one of the most expensive areas of Dade by far; but it is walkable (limited, that would be if you live in a point near - or relatively near) what would be the 'Main Street' here, which is Crandon Blvd.

The west coast of FL, like DoggieBus said properly, is a area that I'm confident that it would be for your interest as well. It's nice (I just came back recently from a trip there actually), way less stressful, way less traffic, while still having enough amenities and stuff (stores, bars, supermarkets, etc.). Also generally quite a bit cheaper plus it's safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami