Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times

Advertisements

Tourist mecca squeezes the middle - Gut_Check - MSNBC.com

This made me think, she lives in one of the less appealing sections of Miami and still struggles. I don't see a good future for any of south Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 06:10 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Tourist mecca squeezes the middle - Gut_Check - MSNBC.com

This made me think, she lives in one of the less appealing sections of Miami and still struggles. I don't see a good future for any of south Florida.

Interesting video....what other cities would you pay 1700 a month for a house of that size with hardly any yard space?

Old 10-20-2007, 12:22 PM

94 posts, read 134,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Interesting video....what other cities would you pay 1700 a month for a house of that size with hardly any yard space?

In NY (ofcourse I dont include the city )and CA but than only in the nice suburbs not in just any suburb . My neighbor in NY rented her house as she moved upstate and it was 2 floors good size yard 4 bedroom -2 full bathrooms 2 full kitchens 2 car garage in nice quite area for $1,500 a month .
The real estate here is GOLD square foot next to CA and NY city might be the most expensive..
I just came back from visiting my grandma in Coral Gables and they have offered here an insane amount for her home which is 1 bedroom ,kitchen,bathroom . She bought it for peanuts 20 yrs ago .
There is nothing that can be done as far as real estate prices go here in Miami as money from the North comes in and overseas money comes in thus raises prices .
Other things can be done to help the struggling middle class so they can atleast try to stay "alive" which arent being done but real estate here is pricey think it will only go higher.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:23 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,138,702 times
Wow she thinks she is poor on 70,000 a year. County's Median income is 45,000. Guess that says a lot.

It sounds like she is doing the right things for her kids, except I don't know that all of the Xbox and Ipod stuff the article mentioned is really necessary, if they already have computers like it said. Anyways, it sounds like she is trying to live like most people in Miami, have the latest furniture, technology and even property (did you all catch at the end she owns a condo?).

She is forced to watch her pennies and frustrated that she can't live extravagantly like she could anywhere else. I really don't feel bad for people like this, why not just move to a more affordable area if your quality of life is so low despite earning over 70K annually? And ontop of that she lives in Sweetwater. Oh well...this story does speak volumes about what people will put up with to live here though.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Wow she thinks she is poor on 70,000 a year. County's Median income is 45,000. Guess that says a lot.

It sounds like she is doing the right things for her kids, except I don't know that all of the Xbox and Ipod stuff the article mentioned is really necessary, if they already have computers like it said. Anyways, it sounds like she is trying to live like most people in Miami, have the latest furniture, technology and even property (did you all catch at the end she owns a condo?).

She is forced to watch her pennies and frustrated that she can't live extravagantly like she could anywhere else. I really don't feel bad for people like this, why not just move to a more affordable area if your quality of life is so low despite earning over 70K annually? And ontop of that she lives in Sweetwater. Oh well...this story does speak volumes about what people will put up with to live here though.

I am not disagreeing with you ....but i think she said she wanted to be far away from the ghetto areas or areas where that influence is around that way her kids wouldn't say they had no choice about joining a gang or selling drugs or something.....so i dont know where else down there she could have moved that is safer and cheaper then that on her salary as a single mother ....but no offense to you at all.....i usually read your posts and agree most of the time

Old 10-20-2007, 11:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,856,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

I totally agree with you. Did you noticed how how much money she spends in car insurance annually? She probably drives a BMW, big SUV or Mercedes. She is trying to live a life she can't afford, in typical Miami fashion. I would move to a BETTER and cheaper area. Sweetwater is NOT as nice as the article says it is. If those cops are not doing much regarding crime is because they are probably covering it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami