Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Every time I go through there another intersection has a 4-way stop. Is this how they are using the tax money? Thousands of tiny traffic "circles" and 4-way stops are causing more fuel to be wasted, and more pollution. Brakes wear out faster and I have had more near-miss accidents. Is anyone complaining about this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:42 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
On top of that, the rules of precedence are not clear. I think it's supposed to be who gets there first. But in practice, sometimes it's really hard to tell, thus accidents, arguments, and so on.
In Europe, the rule is clear: you give precedence to the vehicle on your right. With this rule, there is little question of who is at fault in case of a mix up.

I think the idea is that four-way stops save on the costs of setting up and running traffic lights, not to mention replacement costs after a hurricane.

Plenty of four-way stops in Palm Beach County as well, though I do not notice too many traffic circles.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:48 AM

37 posts, read 157,228 times
As a long term Miami resident, I think that the reason why so many circles have been put up, and the many 4-way stops is due to the overload of cars going through residential neighborhoods... Every time there is an accident (or several), the 4-ways are put up... Not sure if that really helps the problem. Regarding the circles, yes, it is very confusing to know who's got the right of way... not so much in residential areas, but the one they built on the intersection between Merrick park and Ponce is a nightmare...

Old 11-07-2007, 08:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In Europe, the rule is clear: you give precedence to the vehicle on your right. With this rule, there is little question of who is at fault in case of a mix up.
Unless 4 cars arrive at the same time. Then everyone has someone to their right.

I don't mind the 4-way stops because I'd rather have those than traffic lights. I never wait longer at a 4-way stop than I do at a traffic light. Sometimes lights are messed up and people treat the intersection as a 4-way stop and I always get through faster than I would have when the light was working.

I've only seen a couple of those min-traffic circles and I HATE them. They are designed to do nothing other thna slow down traffic. Some stupid person in the county management office probably came up with that idea and didn't test it in real-life circumstances before implrementing it and now we're stuck with them. Don't these people know Mimaians can't even drive well in a straight line? How the hell are they supposedto handle circles???

Old 11-07-2007, 08:24 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Every time I go through there another intersection has a 4-way stop. Is this how they are using the tax money? Thousands of tiny traffic "circles" and 4-way stops are causing more fuel to be wasted, and more pollution. Brakes wear out faster and I have had more near-miss accidents. Is anyone complaining about this??
I haven't compalined. But I do know that one of those circles was put up near me, because a house next to this intersection was actually hit by 3 cars in less than a month. Three people actually lost control of their cars in a month and hit this guys house. So they constructed this circle and added a metal gaurd rail in front of his house just in case.

I agree they may be anoying but there are reasons why they are building these circles. If people in Miami would drive better maybe these things wouldn't have to be built.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Unless 4 cars arrive at the same time. Then everyone has someone to their right.
Good point, but very rarely see four-way stop signs in Europe, though traffic circles are quite common.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
They built one of those stupid roundabouts out in in Davie in front of a moderately large high school. You have to see the traffic when that school releases ever since they built it...what a waste

Old 11-07-2007, 03:56 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Plenty of four-way stops in Palm Beach County as well, though I do not notice too many traffic circles.
I've only seen those in the western suburbs... but those things are terrible. I'd take a normal light any day over those things.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:55 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
It is hard to believe how much damage the governments here have done to the road system in the last few years. The really sad part is that all it would take to fix it is someone driving a D9 and removing all those circles, running down 4 way stops, and flattening the stupid road blocks and one way turns. At least I know that I am not alone in my disgust. Hopefully this nonsense does not end up in my county until after I leave.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,322 times
i'm from europe. traffic circles / roundabouts are so much better than traffic lights / stop signs. they keep the traffic moving. the problem is that people down here cant drive. couple of days ago a guy passed me in the circle on sunset drive/le jeune route/old cutler! wtf? they should educate people how to drive (not only circles for that matter)! yield, then get into the circle and use blinker once you want to take an exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami