Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I received this notice in the mail today, after checking my SunPass account and finding everything normal, I can only assume this is some kind of scam to try and get people to pay for fines they don't actually owe.
It came from a company called "Law Enforcement Systems LLC" and starts out with "Notice of Assignment to a Collection Agency" (I guess this is to scare people into thinking they're in trouble) Then there's "Unpaid Toll Violation Notices" with an account number, due date and a total due, mine said $40.09. Then there's a bunch of bla bla bla about failing to pay for toll transactions. My transponders are on automatic refill, so I should never have a failure to pay tolls. They did have my license plate number, but there's hundreds of ways someone could get that. The plate number they used is on a car that I hardly ever drive and definitely couldn't have racked up $40.00 in tolls.
Another thing that sent up a red flag was that the address of this company was in Milwaukee, WI. I doubt a real toll violation notice would come from anywhere but Florida.
Anyone else receive one of these?

Just because the toll is in Florida does not mean they will not use a company out of state for this type of issue.
It was probably put up for bid and the company that is doing the processing won the bid, they just happen to be in a different state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM

411 posts, read 831,990 times
Quote:
Strange, this letter does not look in the least "official". It's lacking in details like you get from a Toll By Plate notice and it mentions a previously billed toll transactions. I've never received any toll bills since I bought my transponders. I'll definitely check into this further because, if it is an official letter, then they've made a mistake in billing me. As I said earlier, I have automatic reloading of my transponders and the last time I drove the car on the notice, I checked my SunPass account to be sure the tolls were deducted after that trip.
You're probably were driving too fast through some of the toll places where you need to slow down to 25mph, which I know is sometimes hard to do because people behind you will easily become infuriated if you slow down. Hopefully, you carry a firearm with you, so if people start to give you static for slowing down fire a few shots at them and watch them back off. In Florida, you really need to drive around being ready to use lethal violence at any moment to correct driving behavior. It is all about standing your ground and driving correctly.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 PM

69 posts, read 92,067 times
It's a money grab. I'm positive MDX knew there would be a lag between people who already have Sunpass when they concocted this TBP ****. They knew people would miss some of the mailings, ignore them because they were charged through Sunpass or ignore them because, well, "**** MDX, that's why."

It's by design. Design is the reason they tack dollars onto the cents the actual violation is worth and the reason they are in bed with FLHSMV to suspend your license for non-compliance.

To get more money. MDX is also privately held, and the board consists of mostly lawyers. Go figure.

As BS as it is, they'll suspend your license... And with the growing number of police units with plate readers, you don't want that trouble. Just pay it, go to the MDX/Sunpass, or whatever website, and add your plate so you don't have to deal with them any more.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetWhiteKnight View Post
It's a money grab. I'm positive MDX knew there would be a lag between people who already have Sunpass when they concocted this TBP ****. They knew people would miss some of the mailings, ignore them because they were charged through Sunpass or ignore them because, well, "**** MDX, that's why."

It's by design. Design is the reason they tack dollars onto the cents the actual violation is worth and the reason they are in bed with FLHSMV to suspend your license for non-compliance.

To get more money. MDX is also privately held, and the board consists of mostly lawyers. Go figure.

As BS as it is, they'll suspend your license... And with the growing number of police units with plate readers, you don't want that trouble. Just pay it, go to the MDX/Sunpass, or whatever website, and add your plate so you don't have to deal with them any more.
Amazing, roads we payed for decades ago are now in private hands? I am happy there are no toll roads in my county.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Amazing, roads we payed for decades ago are now in private hands? I am happy there are no toll roads in my county.
They will get there eventually, it just takes time.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
They will get there eventually, it just takes time.
Not if I can help it.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times
I've been doing some digging into this. I don't think it's a scam anymore (well, it's still a government sponsored scam, but not a outsider scam) The dates they said I went through the tolls were back in November and December, so with it being August already, I have no way of knowing what days I actually drove that car. The thing is, back then I still had my California plates, so when the sent the pay by plates notice out, they sent it to my old address in Ca. and it was never forwarded to my Fla. address. I never knew I had any unpaid tolls until I got that notice last week. I know there was a point where I even got on the SunPass website and registered the car with them so I wouldn't have something like this happen. After that, I was receiving the pay by plate notices and paying them right away until I decided to get the mini pass for that car.
Anyway, I'll have to go and explain all this to them and try and get the extra fines removed. I have no problem paying the tolls I owe, but I don't think I should have to pay penalties because they couldn't figure out that the car registered on their site was the same one that they had unpaid tolls for.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,333 times
Its all bullschrapenel and then some. Keep voting in the same old corrupt politicians into Miami Dade government and the nightmare will be a perpetual pain in the ass. No matter how much the system denies knowledge of wrong doing, its only a matter of time before the leopard shows its spots. And Dade county has shown more spots than many other counties in Florida in the recent past, as we've seen the many politicians and scammers go to jail for fraud. And all of those cameras at four way intersections and other drive ways is more than enough evidence that the system is not really trying to keep you and i safer, but keeping you and i footing their bills and correcting their city's financial losses due to dirty, bad, fraudulent dealings.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:21 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times
So, I couldn't find anyone willing to listen to my story and wound up paying the amount owed. The thing is, now I'm pissed, so I've decided to not use any toll roads unless absolutely necessary. I have to leave for work about 10 min. earlier than I used to, which is not bad, but I get the satisfaction of knowing that the county is not getting anymore road tax from me. That $50 a month I was spending on tolls, the county will no longer get from me. All because they got greedy with their fines and late fees.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 AM

69 posts, read 92,067 times
Quote:
So, I couldn't find anyone willing to listen to my story and wound up paying the amount owed. The thing is, now I'm pissed, so I've decided to not use any toll roads unless absolutely necessary. I have to leave for work about 10 min. earlier than I used to, which is not bad, but I get the satisfaction of knowing that the county is not getting anymore road tax from me. That $50 a month I was spending on tolls, the county will no longer get from me. All because they got greedy with their fines and late fees.
Been doing the same thing for a while now. I can sit in traffic for free on US1 and Kendall. Why should I pay tolls to be inconvenienced and not even get the option of Coconut Grove's back road scenery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami