Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:58 PM

548 posts, read 541,349 times

Advertisements

This new study was done by an independent association of criminologists. It is rankling many feathers because they used FBI data and not the data reported by the cities themselves. Orlando was the highest FL city at # 11.

Miami Gardens, incorporated as its own city in 2003, ranked 14th.

Top Ten Most Dangerous Cities:
1 Detroit, MI
2 St. Louis, MO
3 Flint, MI
4 Oakland, CA
5 Camden, NJ
6 Birmingham, AL
7 North Charleston, SC
8 Memphis, TN
9 Richmond, CA
10 Cleveland, OH
11. Orlando, FL.

Source: CQ Press

However, when ranking counties as a whole, Miami-Dade did come in at # 10. Same source:

Miami-Dade County as a whole ranked 10th most dangerous of the 334 major metropolitan areas in the U.S. The only metro areas with worse ''danger'' ratings: Detroit; Memphis; Las Vegas; Flint, Mich.; Pine Bluff, Ark.; Saginaw, Mich.; Myrtle Beach, S.C.; Shreveport, La., and Little Rock, Ark.

Broward County ranked 129th among the major metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post

Are you serious, that low? I believe it but out of how many? It seems about average for it's size judging from what I have seen elsewhere. Not really any better but not any worse.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Are you serious, that low? I believe it but out of how many? It seems about average for it's size judging from what I have seen elsewhere. Not really any better but not any worse.
That was surprising to me also. It is out of 334 major metro areas.

Here is the link:

Study: Miami Gardens most dangerous in S. Fla. - 11/19/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
West Palm Beach ranked eighth most-dangerous among the 129 cities with populations between 75,000 and 100,000. Also, it's the 57th most dangerous metro area, which is an improvement. However, it's sad to see how much safer Broward is... I remember when Broward was considered much more dangerous as a whole.

Interesting to see how far downhill Orlando is going though.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
West Palm Beach ranked eighth most-dangerous among the 129 cities with populations between 75,000 and 100,000. Also, it's the 57th most dangerous metro area, which is an improvement. However, it's sad to see how much safer Broward is... I remember when Broward was considered much more dangerous as a whole.

It is interesting that other crime reporting groups are slamming that study. It looks like they hit a nerve.

They said they put weights on crimes based on how serious they were to help rank the areas.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
That was surprising to me also. It is out of 334 major metro areas.

Here is the link:

Study: Miami Gardens most dangerous in S. Fla. - 11/19/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)
Thanks for the link. As much as people like to complain, the upper two really aren't that bad in most areas, but it seems like the type of incidents are getting more and more violent. On the contrary, crime seems to still be going down in some areas,like Davie, Sunrise, Plantation for example made huge strides in it's crime rate over the past few years. Weston's crime rate has almost doubled in the past 3 years, but from the CD index of 65.8, that's not really saying much LOL. Crime in the latter two seems to be soaring as of late...

Old 11-19-2007, 03:10 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Thanks for the link. As much as people like to complain, the upper two really aren't that bad in most areas, but it seems like the type of incidents are getting more and more violent. On the contrary, crime seems to still be going down in some areas,like Davie for example made huge strides in it's crime rate over the past few years. Weston's crime rate has almost doubled in the past 3 years, but from the CD index of 65.8, that's not really saying much LOL.
When do you think we'll see the 'Weston Boyz'?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
This is how people need to look at Miami in rankings through County Rankings not city rankings as we all know the City of Miami is really small, 8 square miles around 300,000+ people, I believe.

Quote:
However, when ranking counties as a whole, Miami-Dade did come in at # 10. Same source:

Miami-Dade County as a whole ranked 10th most dangerous of the 334 major metropolitan areas in the U.S. The only metro areas with worse ''danger'' ratings: Detroit; Memphis; Las Vegas; Flint, Mich.; Pine Bluff, Ark.; Saginaw, Mich.; Myrtle Beach, S.C.; Shreveport, La., and Little Rock, Ark.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I remember when Broward was considered much more dangerous as a whole.
It still is considered that way. It's just people think were the "Second worst" at everything including it's residents.

Quote:
Escaped from that place as it started turning into a craphole.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,274,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Agreed. Try living in St. Louis--#1 on the crime list last year and #2 this year. If you park your car on the street (ANYWHERE within the city), it WILL get broken into. The majority of people I know have been robbed at gunpoint. It's not something that happens only in a few "bad" areas here in St. Louis, it's city-wide. Drugs are prominent and murders/shootings are commonplace. I'm looking forward to moving to Miami next week to be safer!

I'm sure there is no one in the history of America that has lived "both" places in one lifetime...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami