Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Funny because I have several friends who are "swamp people" who would love to hunt them for a bounty. I never knew they were tasty, I have eaten rattlesnake before and that does make sense. A neighbor has seen a snake that might be a python out in his pasture so I think we need to go get it and cook it and see. Big Brother or not, I have known people who have killed and cooked alligators on their farm and the tasted great fried.
Maybe they ought to declare a permanent open season on pythons, free for the taking for anyone who finds one. And put out on the internet and news media recipes for pythons. Other than the reality of it being a pain in the a** to hunt in the Everglades (IMO anyway, but I admit I've never done it), and the possibility that too many folks tromping through the ecosystem there might have an adverse effect on it, seems like a good idea to me. Fried python, broiled python steaks, fricaseed python, barbecued python, python burgers, Caesar salad topped with python strips, python fritters......

I mean, look what happened in the waters when people discovered how good snook and snapper were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
Slightly off-topic, but are there are rules about killing iguanas (and/or eating them) in FL? Here in the Keys, they are everywhere, and would not be very hard to pick off - the large ones especially. A few babies are hanging around my yard, and of course being babies, are very friendly - one even let me pet him. But, they are invasive to the area and not good at all for the local species of plants or animals.

I am a vegetarian and not one to kill things much less eat them, but I wonder what is our moral duty toward caring for the local environment? - if they are so easy to get since they are running around here in the daytime all the time, is it fair game and perhaps even encouraged to pick them off if a local wants a free meal? You can't keep them as pets - that just makes the problem that started this worse. [My college roommate once had one, and although Frank was cute in his own way, I failed to see what made him much of a pet in the first place - he just sat very still and often people wouldn't see him and almost sit on him on the couch!] I suspect they are eating my plants, too... which is annoying because they are killing them off before they fruit.

Perhaps iguana meat can become the new Keys tourist delicacy, like conch fritters have been? Do you need a permit like with the python? They would be pretty easy to catch by the dozens... all you need is a cage trap and some fruit or red flowers...

Old 07-22-2014, 11:47 AM

139 posts, read 277,844 times
I ran into a wildlife biologist who told me the big loser in the python explosion is the Florida Panther. The pythons are eating all of their prey (Marsh Rabbits, etc...) which is why they are hardly ever seen over on this side of the state anymore, despite doing better on the west side. The pythons don't have any predators when fully grown but there are plenty of things that will feed on them when they are young (birds, gators, etc...). There are tons of pythons on SFWMD land where they allow dove hunting. Seems like they could throw pythons into the mix as people are already out there hunting.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Maximo View Post
I ran into a wildlife biologist who told me the big loser in the python explosion is the Florida Panther. The pythons are eating all of their prey (Marsh Rabbits, etc...) which is why they are hardly ever seen over on this side of the state anymore, despite doing better on the west side. The pythons don't have any predators when fully grown but there are plenty of things that will feed on them when they are young (birds, gators, etc...). There are tons of pythons on SFWMD land where they allow dove hunting. Seems like they could throw pythons into the mix as people are already out there hunting.
Yeah, seems the python has the potential ( or it's already on the way) to wipe out many if not most of the mammal population in the Everglades, either by eating the smaller prey that are food for the Florida Panther and the fox, and eating whatever it can swallow.

Huge pythons apparently wiping out Everglades raccoons, bobcats, opossums | NOLA.com

There was a story several years ago about a python that had attempted to swallow a large alligator, but wasn't able to do so. The alligator got stuck part way, and both the python and the alligator died. Although in looking this up, there are other stories where the python was successful in eating an alligator- I'd guess, alligator wouldn't be the pythons' favorite food, if they have to fight so hard to get it eaten.

Photo in the News: Python Bursts After Eating Gator (Update)

I'd agree with you about making pythons fair game for hunting, anytime.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:25 PM

68 posts, read 97,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
When I thought you couldn't have demonstrated that you had no idea what you were talking about any better...

... you said that.

Spoken like someone who has 1) never been in the Glades deeper than the airboat tour and 2) completely fails to grasp what happens when an aggressive apex predator is introduced into an ecosystem not intended for it.
***MOD CUT*** Do you know me? Have you met me, sat down and learned a few things about my life? NO? Ok then - who are you to make those assumptions? Do you always stick your foot in your mouth before speaking? I have been "deeper" than an airboat ride but I see no reason to argue against you because...you didn't say anything really! Where is your magical solution Zaba? Lets throw trillions of dollars? hmm? Maybe sprinkle fairy dust? I know what you're talking about but just because you can't accept the reality of what's happening in the Everglades, doesn't change the facts. FACT: unfortunately, with current resources, we can't wipe out the pythons entirely- not gonna happen any more than getting rid of feral cats or invasive plants. ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-27-2014 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 04-03-2018, 08:37 AM

1,031 posts, read 639,331 times
You can't eat any predator from the everglades because of mercury buildup. Another point I should have pushed in the OP was that pet owners are being blamed for releasing these animals but the truth is that 90% of escaped exotics come from poorly regulated zoos and commercial breeding operations not private owners. The state doesn't want to highlight that. There are hundreds "roadside" zoos in south Florida that the government should have regulated better. Pet owners pay a lot of money for their animals and will resell them not release them pet owners pay a lot of money for the animals and will resell them not release them roadside zoos with junk fencing and high staff turnover don't report their losses after storm events... those are the true culprits.

Pet owners dissent release cobras and African nile crocodiles LOL!!!

Nile crocs found in Everglades but not related to zoo crocs, study finds | Miami Herald

Notice they specify "known zoo population" they have no idea what those roadside zoos have cause they have poor regulations and they don't hire the best people they hire the young college kids who don't cost much on health insurance.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Can we just lure the pythons with iguanas and kill two birds with one stone?

Old 04-03-2018, 08:58 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Notice they specify "known zoo population" they have no idea what those roadside zoos have cause they have poor regulations and they don't hire the best people they hire the young college kids who don't cost much on health insurance.
Where are these road side zoos?

Also, yes, the problem is mostly people buying them and then releasing them because they got bit, got too big, ran out of money, or got caught by their HOA.
Some of the Zoo Miami animals came from idiots who had them as pets until they went bankrupt and had to let them go.

There is also a large iguana problem with gigantic iguanas all over S Florida/Miami because owners let them go and there is no natural predator.

Breeders aren't breeding these reptiles and then releasing them into the wild as some type of joke.

'Roadside Zoos' (which I haven't seen yet) probably make up a very low % compared to morons having various creatures as pets.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 AM

1,031 posts, read 639,331 times
There are hundreds of roadside zoos all over Fl...too many to list, airboat rides all have small poorly regulated animal collections also. I have decades of professional experience in zoo/ranger work AND the exotic animal trade in south Florida. Professional breeders and poorly regulated zoos have their poorly regulated enclosures destroyed in storm events... they are not intentionally releasing these animals! it's an accident but it occurs because they're poorly regulated... also due to poor regulation and underfunded enforcement there are hundreds and thousands of illegal importers as well...Most Pet owners sell their animals they don't release them... a baby pythons is worth 50 bucks a 10ft pythons is worth about 250 that's some pretty simple math... there are all kinds of animals loose in Florida like monkeys and Nile crocodiles...the "story" that pet owners intentionally released animals worth thousands of dollars and that they are emotionally attached to is a hustle... this is what they are telling you because they know that it's their fault!! These poorly regulated Zoos are the ones to blame!

Old 04-05-2018, 08:26 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
Boer is correct.

We hike all over Florida, and see many odd things in rural areas.

How would you like to suddenly see a camel or zebra, or even a croc, at some random house/farm in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes even not that remote...

I sincerely fear the day when I see a bushmaster squiggle out from the brush. And that’s hopefully we see it first!

On our hikes we fear what we dont know is here. That could be anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami